• Please log in to reply
1962 replies to this topic

#1261 StrikerNL

StrikerNL

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:19 AM

I tried it, it worked, except the shadow C, so I figured I'd do a reinstall.

That wiped my C and erased the backup on E for some odd reason.

Then I tried to put it back on with Slayer but apparently the xbox harddrive now died (it's making odd scratching noises, so that's pretty much definitely gone).

Does that mean I can throw it in the bin (I guess so) or is there any way of rescuing it?

#1262 laffo

laffo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Great tutorial, have a softmodded xbox next to my chipped one now smile.gif

#1263 kevinspruill

kevinspruill

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:32 AM

OK, I read through as many pages as i could to see if my situation is possible and i couldn't find a solution or a way to do this. it should be possible, i cant imagine it not being possible, but i want to make sure that i get it right before i try it. i will make it simple as to the circumstances and what i want to do, and hopefully you guys can help me.

- I had a 1.0 xbox
- I chipped my box with a xecuter 2.6 CE
- After a while i upgraded to a 200GB hdd - with a G drive
- My chip and xbox mobo fried, rendering all but the hard drive and DVD useless
- The 200GB has a lot of data i cannot afford to lose
- The 200GB is in an UNLOCKED state (thank god for atapwd and TEAMASSEMBLY!!)

- I now have a 1.6 xbox that i would like to softmod
- I dont care about xbox live, i want to mod for XBMC
- I want to use my 200GB in my 1.6 xbox WITHOUT losing the data or partitions
- I would love to use this softmod method

Can I do this without losing my data? if so how? I just need a basic breakdown, if i cant, i will just chip my box, but i would love to use this free method. and if its already been addressed, a link to the post is all thats needed, im good at learning on my own.

oh, and does this mod fully support the G drive?

oh and any other info you need, just ask, i need

#1264 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:09 AM

First softmod your new xbox. Choose nkpatcher .67 since you will need that for G drive.. get the eeprom.. build an xboxhdm disk containing th eeprom.bin and softmod installer. Install the softmod in your old harddrive.. you wont need to hotswap since its already unlocked.. installing softmod over wont destroy your data ( it just copies some files to c and E drive but doesnt delete anything).. lock the harddrive using the eeprom..

#1265 kevinspruill

kevinspruill

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(kingroach @ Aug 31 2007, 05:45 AM) View Post

First softmod your new xbox. Choose nkpatcher .67 since you will need that for G drive.. get the eeprom.. build an xboxhdm disk containing th eeprom.bin and softmod installer. Install the softmod in your old harddrive.. you wont need to hotswap since its already unlocked.. installing softmod over wont destroy your data ( it just copies some files to c and E drive but doesnt delete anything).. lock the harddrive using the eeprom..

Awesome! thanks kingroach for that quick reply. i thought that was the way to go, just wanted to make sure. i think i am gonna give it a shot later tonight. ill let you guys know how it went.

a few more questions, just to clarify:

- the default dash you want to use goes in E:\dash correct? (if i wanted to use XBMC as my dash, i just put it in there?)
- can i back up my C: drive on my 200GB drive? (that way i can remove the softmod and chip it later if i choose)

i know where to come if i have issues(doubt i will, very thought out tutorial), great support in here.

#1266 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

just delete everything from E:\dash\ folder and copy xbmc files to E:\dash\..

when you install ndure it will autometically backup the C drive to E:\bakup\ folder.. you can also manually backup by using option "4" in the ndure installer.

#1267 crate

crate

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

can i get some more help please...

I get the error 12 on xbox(k:5838 d:5960)
do the swap. go to option 1...then xbrowser then ndure..once i get to the menu and choose 4 I get this error message

./ndure: 252: Syntax error: "done" unexpected
Press any key to continue

was told the link/fix for this is in here, but i can not find anything about that error...

thanks

#1268 crate

crate

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:37 AM

never mind....i down loaded the newest ver tonight....redid it all and it WORKED perfect!!!

I got one error during the 2 step....was CD/ndure/C/shadowc/filler1.img not found.

But i have the new dash, and everthing works.

anyone know if this is a problem that might come up sometime?

#1269 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

its not a problem.. filler1.img is just a junk file..

#1270 RaptorFox

RaptorFox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hey all,

First off, a big thank you to Textbook for making this guide, a very good intro for anyone new to xbox modding.

While I was modding my xbox, I first chose option 4 to backup the harddrive. On step 2 of backing up, the xbo froze and i had no choice but to try and restart it (I literally gave it 8 hours - fell asleep). When I restarted to try to backup again, I got a whole bunch of read-only/directory does not exist file errors.

Is there any way I can undo what has been done so that i can try again/solve the problems?

#1271 crate

crate

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

I am missing something here, not sure, but i want to use a 160g hard drive i have laying around, i've checked it out and it will be fine to use for the xbox. However i have no idea on the one part about increasing your hd.

How is the heck to i get the eeprom?

I backed up everything and i have searched and have nothing close to it. I even went in and ran e:/ndts/default.xbe(from a search on here) and it had the option to backup eeprom. so i did screen changed said something about 1.1 running, then went back to the main screen?

i know i'm just missing something small here. can ya all help me out? thanks

#1272 kevinspruill

kevinspruill

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:21 AM

ok, so i modded my xbox and upgraded the HDD to my 200GB (thanks kingroach for the info!!). I Ran into a few snags, but with determination, i resolved them myself. i will share them here in case anyone else has these problems.

i ran thru the tutorial step by step. i read it 3 times before i attempted. this helped me with the problems i came across. here are some of the problems i came across:

PROBLEM: Hard time unlocking the hard drive for the Hotswap.
FIX: use the method of playing a soundtrack, pausing, then attempting the hotswap

PROBLEM: Stupid dell computer would never recognize the xbox hdd. and when it did, it recognized it in a locked state.
FIX: i hotswapped after i turned on the computer, but before the computer had a chance to read the IDE devices. this has to be done really quickly after the computer is turned on, before the little progress bar fills up.

PROBLEM: Getting the eeprom.bin file
FIX: instead of using ConfigMagic i used evox to generate the eeprom.bin file, it will place itself the root of the evox xbe in a folder named 'backup'

PROBLEM: on my 200GB i had evox installed on the C:\ drive and took up space, so the ndure install failed and resulted in an error 21 when booted
FIX: did the softmod over again and using option 2 instead of option 1, worked like a charm

Hope this helps, this mod sure has helped me, just saved me big bucks and time instead of buying a damn chip

#1273 Ged_33

Ged_33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hi, I hope you can help me.

I softmodded my xbox (5101/5960) yesterday using this tutorial and everything was fine, unleash-x was working okay but since I want to use this box for xbmc I installed that as the default dashboard using the following method:

1. rename the xbe in e:\dash
2. copy the xbmc shortcut xbe file and cfg file into e:\dash

Again everything worked fine, the xbox booted into xbmc with no problems after turning on and off with the power button, but when I came to switch it on today I got error 21. If I start the box with the eject button it goes to the xbox live config screen but as I want to use xbmc that doesn't help me much.

I understood from the tutorial that there was a backup exploit installed that could be activated by saving a CD track to the xbox, unfortunately I can't even play a CD because I only get the xbox live screen, not the full ms dashboard.

My xbox has been asking me to set the clock each time I turn it on, searching the forum it seems that this sometimes causes problems with softmods, is that what has happened here?

I'd be grateful if somebody could answer the following questions:

1. Will I be able to restore the xbox to factory condition (I did backup the c drive), or reinstall the softmod by using the hdd cable swap method? Is the drive unlocked in the xbox live dashboard or during error 21?

2. Is there any point in restoring the softmod? Is the clock reset problem going to wreck it again the next time I unplug the xbox?

#1274 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

you should be able to boot any boot disk ( like syalers, AID).. Those disk will allow you to ftp into the xbox.. then you can change/replace dash.. Copy all the contents of xbmc folder to E:\dash\..

#1275 Ged_33

Ged_33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, kingroach. I am downloading SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.7 now (is this what you mean by bootdisc?)

Does that mean that this has nothing to with the clock reset?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users