Photo

Graw Anyone Else Have The Blue Line Hud Cut Off On Your Tv?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:37 AM

IPB Image

how its supposed to look:

IPB Image

#2 joeyddr

joeyddr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

i have a teeny bit of overscan but not bothring me at all, since i calibrated my tv's overscan to be perfect with movies and such. maybe around 3% overscan for me and i see all sides of the blue lines but not worth me recalibrating the tv again.

#3 Glock.45

Glock.45

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

I get it even worse than you at 720p. I knew I felt a little close. I will try 1080i and see what happens.

1080i sucks too. I have to use 480p just to get the correct screen. mad.gif

#4 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:44 AM

i have the same over scan problem... cheap hdtv i guess.

#5 Glock.45

Glock.45

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:48 AM

My TV is pretty nice. I got a Hitachi 57" HDTV. I don't think ILLusions0fGrander 65" Mistusbishi is a cheap TV either. This is not an overscan problem. Sounds like a bug to me.

Edited by Glock.45, 10 March 2006 - 03:56 AM.

#6 MadEx

MadEx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:59 AM

http://ubisoft.custh...p?p_faqid=10988

It's a bug and Ubisoft seems to says "you're not really missing anything, so don't sweat it."

#7 Glock.45

Glock.45

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:11 AM

Thats the biggest copout I have ever heard. If I wanted to be zoomed in, I would use the zoom on my TV. Too bad I can't zoom out. I just feel extra close to Mitchell.

Edited by Glock.45, 10 March 2006 - 04:11 AM.

#8 unclepauly

unclepauly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:35 AM

Basically it's not a bug. The outline of the hud was made in the outer 10% of the screen. I have confirmed this by opening the back of my projection hdtv and I can see the outline passes the edge of my screen and is shining onto the plastic border. I hooked up my comp to my tv to find the real resolution of my 1080i tv and guess what I found out? It's only showing 1744 x 972 or somewhere around there. The rest is off the screen! Not ubi's fault, it's the tv's. If anyone knows how to use their service menu you can fix it in there most of the time. I paid $1800 for this sony(I know) 3 yrs ago and never knew this until now. I'm missing about 8 or 9% of my screen so I figure sony owes me about 8 or 9% of my money($150)....WOW I have a 972i tv.....cool. wacko.gif
*Edit...it's a 984i tv...

Edited by unclepauly, 10 March 2006 - 04:54 AM.

#9 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:46 AM

well, i cant take back i said cheap tv, what i meant is half of these darn manufactures poorly calibrate their tv's before shipping them.. why its an issue is beyond me, all this technolgy and they cant ship tvs pre calibrated.

#10 Glock.45

Glock.45

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(unclepauly @ Mar 10 2006, 04:42 AM) View Post

Basically it's not a bug. The outline of the hud was made in the outer 10% of the screen. I have confirmed this by opening the back of my projection hdtv and I can see the outline passes the edge of my screen and is shining onto the plastic border. I hooked up my comp to my tv to find the real resolution of my 1080i tv and guess what I found out? It's only showing 1744 x 972 or somewhere around there. The rest is off the screen! Not ubi's fault, it's the tv's. If anyone knows how to use their service menu you can fix it in there most of the time. I paid $1800 for this sony(I know) 3 yrs ago and never knew this until now. I'm missing about 8 or 9% of my screen so I figure sony owes me about 8 or 9% of my money($150)....WOW I have a 972i tv.....cool. wacko.gif
*Edit...it's a 984i tv...

I understand your point, but why does it only happen when the TV is in an HD setting? I also personally corrected the overscan on my TV to be perfect for movies. My other point is this is the only game where I lose that much picture. It seems to me that this game was only tested on flat panel monitors. If I corrected the overscan to fit with GRAW, I would have dark blury edges. They obviously did not apply the 90% rule for the outter HUD.

Edited by Glock.45, 10 March 2006 - 06:56 AM.

#11 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(Glock.45 @ Mar 10 2006, 12:52 AM) View Post

If I corrected the overscan to fit with GRAW, I would have dark blury edges.

probably convergence.

this is rediculous though... how did you manage to find out your exact resolution being shown by the way?

#12 Glock.45

Glock.45

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Mar 10 2006, 07:05 AM) View Post

probably convergence.

this is rediculous though... how did you manage to find out your exact resolution being shown by the way?

No matter how much I tweak my convergence I can't get sharp edges. I agree that this is rediculous, but we are probably going to have to live with it.

I think he estimated the percent of overscan 9% (1080 * .91 = 983) or something like that.

#13 unclepauly

unclepauly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I was estimating. To check your resolution on your tv you can(i don't know about ati cards) adjust the size of your screen incrementally through the nvidia control panel and it will tell you exactly how many lines of resolution you can fit on your screen. On my tv theres overscan in 480p also. which sucks. I'm gonna try to calibrate mine and see if I get any dark blurry edges in a little bit. I hate tinkering around in the service menu though.

QUOTE(Glock.45 @ Mar 10 2006, 12:52 AM) View Post

I understand your point, but why does it only happen when the TV is in an HD setting? I also personally corrected the overscan on my TV to be perfect for movies. My other point is this is the only game where I lose that much picture. It seems to me that this game was only tested on flat panel monitors. If I corrected the overscan to fit with GRAW, I would have dark blury edges. They obviously did not apply the 90% rule for the outter HUD.

Your right about the 90% rule not being applied to the hud. But if they did apply it, imagine what it would look like on peoples tv that get the whole 100% of their screen. The hud would take up way to much space on screen.

#14 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:11 AM

yeah, i just went into my service menu for 1080 geometry and vertical/horizontal width and got a pretty decent amount of the hud back... now its only clipped a little on the right side.

have a small geometry issue towards top corners, but an hours worth of messing around and im going to let it slide and see if its anything i notice while playing... if not, ill just forget it and be happy i tweaked it this much, which in my opinion is like 10 times better.

****anybody who goes into your service menu, know WTF you are doing or dont go in it, and if you do wander around, write down all values you change****

#15 georaldc

georaldc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:29 AM

Doesn't the screen adjust in an xport emulator show how many lines are being displayed? If yes, then mine is badly calibrated as well. Anyone know how to access the service menu of an lg 40nz60 hdtv? Damn I hate this tv, must be one of those cheap ones as well. Something like motion blur happens when the screen moves quickly sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users