#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:35 AM

Microsoft Responds to Foil on Xbox 360 GPU Heatsink-- Posted by XanTium on March 10 22:35 EST
Microsoft has issued a reply via the GamerScore Blog (ran by Xbox employees) to the story about the foil found on some heatsink GPUs:

The video and photos posted by German blog GameStore24.de show thermal interface pads that are not installed incorrectly. They are installed per specification. This foil eliminates the need of a protective liner, which simplifies the final assembly process and minimizes shipping concerns and contamination issues.

Just a reminder that opening the Xbox 360 case voids the warranty. If your console is malfunctioning, call Xbox customer support. They can diagnose whether the system is malfunctioning, and will arrange for repair/replacement if necessary.

The manufacturing team pointed me to the exact part we used. More information on the material can be found here. Here is the way they describe the part, in case any of you want to buy more...(my emphasis):
THERMFLOW T558 provides the high performance properties typical of free-film phase change materials with the added benefit of easy removal. MULTIPHASE thermal interface pads are phase-change materials specially formulated for use in high performance devices requiring minimum thermal resistance for maximum thermal performance and component reliability. It provides the high performance of typical phase change materials with the added benefit of improved thermal stability over conventional phase change pads. It is a 0.005 inch (0.13mm) thick, inherently adhesive film that softens at device operating temperatures resulting in "grease-like" performance. T558 has been coated on one side of a conformal metal foil carrier. It is easily attached onto a heat sink or heat spreader, leaving the metal foil surface exposed. This foil eliminates the need of a protective liner, which simplifies the final assembly process and minimizes shipping concerns and contamination issues.

The original specification is included here. The Xbox 360 uses T558. Note the "gray/silver foil."

Xbox-Scene

The guys over at kotaku.com also got a reply from Microsoft about this matter. It says the same as above including the usual marketing talk that there is no systemic issue, that the return rate is below the CE industry average of 3-5% and that all problems are being handled on a case-by-case basis.

#2 blackchild1101

blackchild1101

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:52 AM

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE! Preety quick with a statement weren't they.

#3 Unregistered007

Unregistered007

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:59 AM

wow MS replied pretty quickly!

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

maybe a quick reply because they didnt have to fabricate a story... could be legit.

#5 prankfurter

prankfurter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:55 AM

I have a feeling its legit... look how many 360s are out there without problems...

#6 Statecowboy

Statecowboy

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:57 AM

Why wouldn't it be legit? It clearly says on the vendor's website that the foil acts as a carrier for the thermal pad. I highly doubt a company would change its website information to appease M$ execs.

#7 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:09 AM

Also probably a quick response b/c they're getting sick and tired of being bashed by ppl in the production of the 360.

Even if it is a legit issue it's not necessarilly their fault - could be the line workers/employees at the factory among a dozen others. who knows!?!?

#8 johnporcaro

johnporcaro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:16 AM

We found out about the video in Germany early this morning. When i got in this morning, I spent the next few hours talking to manufacturing, checking the spec, writing the messaging. I thought it took us too long to respond... smile.gif Stuff like this is the job of PR, after all...

John (http://gamerscoreblog.com).

Edited by johnporcaro, 11 March 2006 - 06:17 AM.

#9 tenaciousck

tenaciousck

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

i called MS today about my box, it runs Ghost recon at around 20 fps while my friends runs his at a constant 60 or so. idk where the gpu is located in the box, but theres some kind of distortion on the plastic right where the "O" is in the XBOX 360 logo. I called them up today and as soon as i said "yea i think my xbox is melting" they went into overdrive and got me in contact with a supervisor and all this shit, was pretty funny. Anyway they asked me a bunch of random ass question like "did your XBOX 360 hurt anybody in the room" and "were there any witnesses to the event" weird shit like that. anyway i'm gettin a new 360 and i beleive UPS is picking it up monday.

DO A BARREL ROLL

#10 gerzand

gerzand

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:36 AM

This all makes good sense. I've used a very similar material by the same company (Chomerics) in place of Arctic Silver compound on my processors before in computers. Its actually very good stuff and doesnt leave the mess. It's a very thin piece of silver foil, but not with the goopy center like in the 360 pics. It actually transfers the same amount of heat energy as Arctic Silver if i recall correctly from a specs sheet. If anyone needs the chomerics part # for samples, let me know and ll get it to ya. cheers!

Edited by gerzand, 11 March 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#11 howarth

howarth

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:44 AM

One interesting thing about MS's response is the description of the heat sink material having a grease-like behavior. Over on the Xbox forums a user posted photographs he had taken of a friend's dead Xbox 360 with heat sink removed...

http://forums.xbox.c...6/ShowPost.aspx
http://img216.images.../img23463oe.jpg
http://img388.images.../img23485fo.jpg
http://img388.images.../img23519kl.jpg
http://img125.images.../img23540kx.jpg

The photographs clearly show that the heat sink material had melted out onto the surrounding board. Do other heat sink materials become grease-like when hot? It makes you wonder if the heat sink filler used could still be the culprit. If it tends to liquify when hot such behavior could create a vicious cycle where as the GPU overheats the heatsink material it in turn liquifies so that it runs out resulting in even more overheating.

#12 downlowfunk

downlowfunk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

YEah why arent the pads on all them? something seems screwy here. and as for the person with ghost recon at 20 FPS, what the heck is up with the case melting. Kinda like cooked %#ACK, More Graphix More Problems. Im still enjoying My XB1, with TSOP mod, and 300GB HD. Im in it mostly for DIVX flix now, but still an occasional round of Silent Scope, or Street Fighter.

#13 colt45joe

colt45joe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(tenaciousck @ Mar 11 2006, 06:26 AM) View Post

"did your XBOX 360 hurt anybody in the room" and "were there any witnesses to the event" weird shit like that. anyway i'm gettin a new 360 and i beleive UPS is picking it up monday.
DO A BARREL ROLL

laugh.gif

funnny stuff

#14 zikronix

zikronix

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(downlowfunk @ Mar 11 2006, 06:53 AM) View Post

YEah why arent the pads on all them? something seems screwy here. and as for the person with ghost recon at 20 FPS, what the heck is up with the case melting. Kinda like cooked %#ACK, More Graphix More Problems. Im still enjoying My XB1, with TSOP mod, and 300GB HD. Im in it mostly for DIVX flix now, but still an occasional round of Silent Scope, or Street Fighter.

clearly by the chart posted they use multiple substrates. people need to relax

#15 Bizquick

Bizquick

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Moding Xbox's with chips and sometimes with out.

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

M$ is mostly playing damage control. they know there is a major problem on the heat transfer on the video GPU chip. I mean every unit thats been returned has had some sort of failure in that area. I don't know for sure but they might need to get with ATI and come up with another chip that doesn't need to run as hot. Another thing that M$ did change the spec on what the power spec's to the GPU. ATI wanted to make sure they have a power source near the video chip because of some issues. I think all these problems are just plain hardware design maybe they placed the GPU too close to somthing else or maybe the GPU is not getting fitted correctly on the board before its pressed on. All I know is this is round 1 of the xbox 360 and I expect the 2nd and 3rd version of the unit will be alot better. As for the rest of you that own the friest versios all you can do is just pretty much find goodways to keep your units cold other than that I doubt you will have any problems. and the majorty that doesn't have any trouple is mostly because they must not have a heat issue with there unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users