Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

For those that are thinking about trying to play through COD2 on veteran (I recommend it to anyone) I would like to point out a few things that I took away from the experience.

Some notes on gameplay:

1) On veteran this game is hard. I don't care how skilled in FPS you are (I have been playing FPS since Wolf 3D rocked the 386.)

2) Expect to die a lot. By the time you are done you will have all the death quotes memorized. You are extremely lucky if you can take more then two shots without dying.

3) The game is very fun on veteran... most of the time. There are parts that are extremely frustrating and will take you to the edge of hating the game.

4) The game will get cheap shots on you. While skill plays a large part in completing the game on veteran luck also plays a large part.

Some notes on strategy:

1) The number one thing to remember is that you have to take every chance to advance you can. Advancing is key. Your men usually will not advance until you do. In a lot of scenes the Germans can throw an unlimited supply of men at you. They will continue to spawn and attack until you advance. This can cause you to get stuck on a scene for a long time.

2) Speaking of scenes... the game is different on this skill level. While playing on regular makes this game feel more like a running action game it becomes a scene based game on veteran. The reason is that you can spend a considerable amount of time on different parts through each level. You will realize that things are setup to happen in a certain way with only slight variations.

3) A big key is to keep yourself from getting too frustrated. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THE PART. On a lot of scenes it is almost required to die at least once. You have to realize the position of the enemy and a lot of times even the order that you need to take them out. There is also usually a correct order to how you move and where you move. A good example is on the last level when you get a checkpoint and almost instantly a tank will come around the corner and blast you. You will restart at that checkpoint again and again and it will seem like there is no way to escape the blast. But, if you run towards the tank and jump over some boxes in a certain sequence you can escape the blast and then plant your explosives. Regardless of how good you are at figuring out these scenes you will still get stuck on certain parts of the game where you restart the check point over and over and over. There are some scenes that only last a few minutes but took me an hour to complete. Stay calm!

4) If you are stuck on a scene try something different! A lot of times the problem is that you just can't keep from getting shot by a particular guy or something and you just need to get him before he gets you. But, sometimes you are doing the wrong thing and need to try something different. Sometimes the easiest route is not even the correct route. In one scene there was a very large open field with a lot of broken up houses along the edge of it. I was having a lot of trouble going the route you are supposed to go through the houses (which is the way all your men are going.) I decided to take out some gunners and hike tail across the field. I reached the other side by ducking behind some cover along the way. This caused the other men to blast their way through the correct route to meet me at the next checkpoint around the same time I got there.

5) In my opinion the easiest tasks were rigging explosives (whether it be on tanks or on guns.) The most difficult levels were the ones that required you to capture multiple buildings. These missions can take a lot of time and can be extremely frustrating. I found the easiest way to go through these levels was to take the buildings in letter order. Taking the buildings in a random order tends to stick you in a nearly impossible situation (there is no impossible scene in this game though some get very close.) You can go through the game in any order you like and still get all the GP. While I took it in order I would recommend saving the multiple capture levels for the end.

6) Any key character in the game (someone that gives orders or has their name used in the dialog) can not die. I watched the Captain on the American campaign take two shots in the head and keep running. If it is convenient using these guys for cover can make running from one checkpoint or cover point to the next much easier.

That is all I can think of for now. I hope this is helpful to anyone that wants to try to complete this game on veteran (do it... it is great!) If you have completed the game on veteran please post any tips you can think of that I may have not mentioned. Good luck!

#2 Schismatized

Schismatized

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

wow i beat this game ages ago but it was pretty hard.

#3 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

I beat it on regular in January but just recently decided to play it on veteran.

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm playing through on Veteran right now and I'm loving it... I've completed all the Russian and all the British (including Caen) missions and I'm exactly 2:30 seconds away from completing the first american mission (D-day)

So far I'd have to agree, Tiger and Silo (the building capture missions) are easily the most difficult missions I've played so far.

I actually wrote up a how-to on capturing the buildings in Silo as it literally took me 3 days to do just that part of the level (I still haven't finished the sniping part at the end, I just barely finished the building capture part last night). I think Tiger was a harder level overall.

anyway here: my mini-guide to building capturing in Silo: http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3298359

Also your tip for saving the building capture missions for last doesn't work for people like me who set it to Veteran their first time through playing.

I got stuck in certain parts for huge amounts of time simply because I'd never played a particular level before and didn't know where to go next. For instance getting out of the trenches when you first start Du Hoc on D-Day. When ever I poked my head up to look around and figure out where to go I'd get killed instantly... it took me a few days and I finally asked here where I got a few different paths I could take, As soon as I knew a path I was able to finish the level with (relative) ease. I wouldn't have had that problem had I simply played the game once before.

#5 pennywisdom

pennywisdom

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

6) Any key character in the game (someone that gives orders or has their name used in the dialog) can not die. I watched the Captain on the American campaign take two shots in the head and keep running. If it is convenient using these guys for cover can make running from one checkpoint or cover point to the next much easier.

thats a really good point! i realized captain price didnt seem to die ever but i never thought of using him as a shield laugh.gif

#6 jbp20717

jbp20717

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Dreamcast, Mario Kart 64, Newcastle United, Monty Python, genocide, necrophilia and more!
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

I was steadily making my way through veteran until I got stuck in the British campaign in France. I may have another go at it, but the part I'm at seems nigh impossible.

#7 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

I beat it on both Hardened and Veteran in less than 3 weeks time, needless to say I need a break. Recon couldnt have come at a better time, I have grey hairs from Veteran CoD jester.gif

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(pennywisdom @ Mar 13 2006, 03:15 PM) View Post

thats a really good point! i realized captain price didnt seem to die ever but i never thought of using him as a shield laugh.gif

yeah I used him as a shield through almost all of the Caen levels, him and McGregor laugh.gif

#9 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

I beat COD2 on hardened mode when I first got it, then I put it off of a little while then decided to play it on Veteran. I've been playing on Veteran here and there, beating a mission at a time, because I've been playing a lot of new different games lately. It definitely is difficult though, I played that Silo house capture mission last night, it took me 2 1/2 hours on that part alone, the other 2 parts before it only took about 30 minutes each. And even though I was about ready to throw my controller out the window a number of times, it is very fun. I actually turned off the game twice, then within a minute I would turn it back on saying "fuck that, I'm finishing". It's definitely tough on Veteran and very frustrating at times, but you definitely feel a sense of accomplishment on playing a game this tough. I'll probably finish the last few missions this week.

#10 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

Looking at my profile it shows that I finished regular on 1/17. I started veteran on 3/4 and finished on 3/12. Any day that dosn't show an achievment I didn't play. So that shows you how much frustration I put myself through lol. I didn't give myself much break time between starting a new mission. That is a week and one day lol!

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 13 2006, 10:23 PM) View Post

yeah I used him as a shield through almost all of the Caen levels, him and McGregor laugh.gif

I used McGregor most of the time biggrin.gif

#11 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

I can't figure out where you guys find the time for this? I'm still working on whatever difficulty level I decided to start out with. And it's been long enough that I forgot. Hell, I'm still workling on Legendary on Halo2. I can never find the time to sit down and play long enough to get through such difficult settings. I'll definitely lopopk this thread up again if I ever decide to try Veteran, but I doubt I'll ever have the chance.

#12 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

dude... i just 5 minutes ago beat the last mission for battle of caen... LITTLE TIP save some smoke grenades to help you destroy the tiger tank

i cant express enough how frustrating this was... but, all i have to do now is beat the american campaign...

gotta say.. this game has lots more excitement than GRAW single player.. CoD2 single player is probably the best there is right now on 360, as hard as it is, i love beating each mission... awesome sense of accomplishment.

good luck all who are attempting this, as its no easy feat....

skills and patience... and of course, patience... did i mention patience?

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Mar 14 2006, 03:31 AM) View Post

I can't figure out where you guys find the time for this? I'm still working on whatever difficulty level I decided to start out with. And it's been long enough that I forgot. Hell, I'm still working on Legendary on Halo2. I can never find the time to sit down and play long enough to get through such difficult settings. I'll definitely lopopk this thread up again if I ever decide to try Veteran, but I doubt I'll ever have the chance.

if you have an hour a day you can do it... I usually trade sleep for gaming

A typical day:
6:30AM -wake up/take a shower
7:00AM -get some food check my email/PMs
7:30AM -leave for work
WORK
6:00PM -leave work and head to the gym
8:00PM -head home from the gym
8:30PM -get home and take a shower
9:00PM -get some dinner and watch some TV with my GF
10:00PM -GAMING
12:30AM -go to bed

I usually don't have a chance to game during the weekends as I'm often doing things IRL with friends, also thats when my GF gets her gaming time in, though she just finished her latest distraction (playing through Final Fantasy X again) so I'll get a few weekends in before she picks up another new game.

#14 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Mar 14 2006, 10:17 AM) View Post

dude... i just 5 minutes ago beat the last mission for battle of caen... LITTLE TIP save some smoke grenades to help you destroy the tiger tank

When I got in the house I found a niche facing the door and a couple windows and just started taking them out until the time ran out. Run along the right edge toward the tank then stop and wait for a couple of your buddies to catch up to you when you get to the barrier to the tank. Then simply jump over and plant your explosives. No smoke needed. The ending wasn't bad at all. I still think planting are the easiest ovjectives. But, catching the buildings before hand was a pain.

#15 Rubix42

Rubix42

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

I used a dirty tactic to finish that level in Caen.

I went up to the wall where the tank appears and stayed on the other side in the corner. I just killed any Nazi that came in my direction the whole time, and then when he asked me to kill the tank, I hopped the wall and popped it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users