mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

I've already posted this on the layouts forum but that place seems a bit abandoned.
(Copy&paste)
Hi there, I've made a patch for the original xdvdfs_maker (2.1) to include cross-linked files, much like Qwix does but with the benefits of layout files.
I made this in order to produce a decent copy of Ninja Gaiden Black, with no dummies or missing files, it worked just fine so I guess it should work with other games (only tested it with NGB).
To add a linked file you need to manually edit the .LYT file and add/modify a line so it looks like this:
L,<filename>,<real file>
This will create a "virtual" file <filename> which will be cross-linked to the specified <real file>.
Please let me know if anyone's interested. Will upload the source code too, even if it's a bit embarassing and/or messy (I'm not the best coder around)
Just tell me please where to upload it since I'm new(bie) here.

Also, if there's some other program which already does this, please let me know.

#2 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:06 AM

Nice to see someone working on XDVDFS, but I don't really understand why you've done this. The whole point of using layout files is to duplicate as far as possible the original layout to quicken loading speeds. Original games may have the same file in multiple places on the disk to save the drive head going back and forth too much.

Edited by pelago, 14 March 2006 - 12:06 AM.

#3 mwg40

mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:43 AM

Hiya. I did this because I wanted to burn Ninja Gaiden Black to a dvd5. The only options were to delete some japanese (or english) movie files or replace them with dummy files. I didn't like those options so I crosslinked the movie files with Qwix. The resulting (alphabetical-ordered) ISO gave me random Scratched-disc screens.
That's why I patched the program. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea to crosslink many files, or doing it at all (specially because many games will fit on a dvd5) but in the case of NGB, being movie files and not a lot of them, I don't see the problem because in-game files are layout-optimized anyway.
I'm not sure if this can be done with other "big" games, probably The Warriors, but it could be used IE to relink language-specific audio files resulting in smaller games for multi-game discs. Or, as in NGB, delete trailer videos and relink them to another video.
Or you could just delete them.... I just don't like that option.
Anyway, if original games happen to have the same file in multiple places, it doesn't matter because the cross-linking is done by editing the layout file, the program won't search for duplicate files like Qwix does, and duplicate files will be respected.

#4 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Ok, I understand now. I wouldn't like to see MooGUI or something else automatically searching for and cross-linking files, though, as I think too many people might tick that option without realising that it might in fact make things worse in terms of loading time often! But manually linking files is fine, I reckon.

Regarding getting games to fit on a DVD5, I'd rather see XDVDFS tools upgraded to support DVD9.

#5 bdf24

bdf24

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(pelago @ Mar 17 2006, 12:21 PM) View Post

Regarding getting games to fit on a DVD5, I'd rather see XDVDFS tools upgraded to support DVD9.

Actually XDVDFSMaker 2.2l Does support DVD9. But I'm not sure if MooGUI does though.

#6 wmxp

wmxp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

I'm a big fan of the XDVDFS system. I wouldn't mind playing around with this a bit.
You should PM Vood, as he's running the official Layouts site. I'm sure he'd be happy to add your patch to the downloads.

http://forums.xbox-s...?showuser=98950

#7 mwg40

mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(bdf24 @ Mar 18 2006, 12:10 PM) View Post

Actually XDVDFSMaker 2.2l Does support DVD9. But I'm not sure if MooGUI does though.

I may be really wrong here (correct me if I am), but version 2.2l doesn't properly support DL dvds, I'm not sure but I think it changes the size check so it can create ISOs bigger than 4.7GB (single-layer) and remove the outer padding if it's bigger. To really support DL you need to introduce a layer break, make sure layer 2 isn't bigger than layer 1, also consider the padding space, etc.

This all sounds interesting to me, I think I'll start working on that next

QUOTE(wmxp @ Mar 19 2006, 09:24 AM) View Post

I'm a big fan of the XDVDFS system. I wouldn't mind playing around with this a bit.
You should PM Vood, as he's running the official Layouts site. I'm sure he'd be happy to add your patch to the downloads.

http://forums.xbox-s...?showuser=98950

Thank you, I'll do that. Just let me apply some of the v2.2l fixes before sending it to him, my patch is based on 2.1 and I wouldn't like to see old bugs reappearing. I didn't know the source for v2.2l was released when I started to work on this. grr.gif

#8 mwg40

mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:57 AM

I've uploaded this new version to the layouts site if anyone wants to try it
http://layouts.xbox-scene.com

(copied from the txt file)
This is basically the same as v2.2 lite by xbwin, with added support for cross-linked files.
+ You can create an ISO without a layout file again, -ordercreate is back as well
+ Hopefully fixed the block size error, as well as the infinite sized dvd images
+ Cross-linking of files. Shouldn't be needed for most users.

#9 wmxp

wmxp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:43 AM

Very nice. smile.gif
Thanks for your contribution to the XDVDFS system. This should prove to be most useful indeed.
I'll run some experiments with this, and post some feedback. I suppose the next step would be to get MooGUI updated to support this feature. smile.gif

With a new wave of renewed vigor in Xbox360 hacking, there's a possibility that the upcoming Qwix 2 might support the .lyt Layout files also for ISO optimization. Only Devenic knows for sure... wink.gif

#10 mwg40

mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(wmxp @ Mar 21 2006, 01:50 AM) View Post

Very nice. smile.gif
Thanks for your contribution to the XDVDFS system. This should prove to be most useful indeed.
I'll run some experiments with this, and post some feedback. I suppose the next step would be to get MooGUI updated to support this feature. smile.gif

With a new wave of renewed vigor in Xbox360 hacking, there's a possibility that the upcoming Qwix 2 might support the .lyt Layout files also for ISO optimization. Only Devenic knows for sure... wink.gif

Hiya. I'll appreciate your feedback. As for MooGUI I'm not sure it'll be updated to support this change, first let's see if enough people finds it useful, only time (and feedback) will tell.

I really like Qwix (I'm an Avalaunch user), it would be cool if the new version supports layouts... and let's hope xb360 gets hacked soon to encourage the development of more tools! cool.gif

#11 VooD

VooD

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Ps2, Psx, PowerMac´s, Pro-Audio, Music, etc, etc, etc....
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

tongue.gif

#12 Yuuko

Yuuko

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

Talking about the Warriors, has anyone successfully backed it up on a DVD-R Dl ?

#13 patto

patto

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

yes qwix support would kick ass
take note qwix author

#14 mwg40

mwg40

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(VooD @ Mar 22 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

tongue.gif

neat! i got "published" in the main page! (of the Layouts site) biggrin.gif What can i say? I hope people finds this version useful and not too buggy! anyway the real hard work was already done but hey! it's nice to get some credit!
I'll try to do DL next, right now I can't figure out how to put the layer break in the ISO file (google has been unfriendly this time) maybe do a big 8.5gb file padded with zeroes

#15 Yuuko

Yuuko

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Mar 23 2006, 09:16 AM) View Post

I'll try to do DL next, right now I can't figure out how to put the layer break in the ISO file (google has been unfriendly this time) maybe do a big 8.5gb file padded with zeroes

Have you tried cdfreaks.com forums ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users