jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:25 PM

Hi,
I now this is really off-topic but whats some good bass songs for a begineer (me) to learn. I already learnt green day - hitchin a ride, papa roach - she loves not, system of a down - aerials, white stripes - seven nation army, green day - long view and nirvana - come as you are.
Any other songs that are really easy to learn but sound really good I realy wanna learn. Or in fact, any bass players out there, what should I be working on next , (all that hammer stuff). All I really know at the moment is how to read tabs.
cheers.

#2 BrianW1800

BrianW1800

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:40 PM

Anything you hear on the radio would be considered basic stuff, so just find songs you like and learn them.

But on the harder side of things, Les Claypool is astonishing. Check out Primus and listen to his tone, technique and style, it will floor you.

Brian

#3 tlc

tlc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 04:25 PM

Victor Wooten

#4 Megadeth

Megadeth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 04:58 PM

One of the best things to learn on the bass and should impress some is Kiss God of thunder. Plus its also one of the best bass solo's when you see the real thing. I say learn some Kiss, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Motley Crue. Besides you can impress chicks by learning those bands songs.

Kiss God of Thunder
http://www.guitarboa...s/2969/3333.php

#5 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:06 PM

Cool, i'll give them a try. cheers everyone.

#6 Ucky sodder

Ucky sodder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:20 AM

try some radiohead songs, and if ure looking for easy try some off kid a , national anthem especially,. There is alot of good bass on the bends too. Pink floyd- money is one of my favorites and hella easy too.

#7 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:25 AM

I play bass. check my site for a pic of my guitars if ya want to.

I reccomend, for a really cool solo to inpress people, the all-bass intro to N.I.B. by Black Sabbath.

also Billy Jean by Michael Jackson

#8 theagent

theagent

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:23 AM

i play a little bass...mostly guitar.
start learning your jazz. it'll get you goin.
also a cool/quick to learn bassline would be timebomb-rancid.

#9 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:24 AM

Sorry, I don't play with bass. I am not fond of fishing, and playing with alive/dead fish is just not cool.

Edited by shanafan, 29 April 2003 - 05:26 AM.

#10 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:46 AM

Learn your music first, for the bass, try to learn which note each of the frets are and which notes go together.

Then learn jazz and/or blues, once you get the basic stuff like that down, you'll be able to write and play-by-ear anything you want..

Me? I play guitar and piano smile.gif

#11 Colonel32

Colonel32

Sheik Yerbouti

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:42 AM

Learn your music first, for the bass, try to learn which note each of the frets are and which notes go together.

Then learn jazz and/or blues, once you get the basic stuff like that down, you'll be able to write and play-by-ear anything you want..

Exactly beerchug.gif don't learn songs or riffs if you want to really learn to play.... the majority of tunes you're gonna hear on the radio are written in C major dry.gif and are not goin to teach you to think because 90% of popular musicians can't play themselves... learn your scales/modes/key sigs and then learn how to improvise.... its great to learn tunes by green day or black sabbath to get some mechanical ability just don't get caught up in it or you will never advance past the basics. Jazz and blues are great for a beginner to learn because it creates "style" based improv based on progressions.

Check out...
John Patittucci and Stanley clarke, my 2 favs... Dave Holland is a monster too beerchug.gif

think what gain was touching on is that if you can play jazz/blues you can play anything you hear

#12 xbox_freak!!

xbox_freak!!

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:eat, sleep, xbox

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (shanafan @ Apr 29 2003, 02:24 AM)
Sorry, I don't play with bass. I am not fond of fishing, and playing with alive/dead fish is just not cool.

laugh.gif jester.gif I would have to say the same.

#13 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:04 PM

My next step was either learn how to use more fingers (I Can only use two at the mo, the other two hurt to much biggrin.gif ) when changing OR to either learn chords properly as the only chord I know at the moment is G (this is on a electric), which isn't a good start. Cheers for all you help though.

I also need a better amp, any idea as to whats a good amp for bass tunes (the make, like Marshall) but keep in mind that my budget for an amp is about anything under 200 hundred quid ( i think thats about 380 dollars blink.gif ). Is this not enough?

ALSO true or false - As a wanna be bass player I shouldn't learn chords on a electric as I won't be able to play bass properly again.(6 strings to 4)

#14 Penfoldian

Penfoldian

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:48 PM

OMG!!! Xbox dweebs talking about Bass playing!

Would you believe i own a 6 String Custom OverWater with a Blue Wooden Finish?!

Believe it true, i newst to be in a band and got really heavy into it, but now we have broke up and my Guitar chills out in the atic!

#15 vbluguitar

vbluguitar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, I agree about learning the notes. If you can learn where the notes are and memorize them, the entire world of music will open up for you. I am a semi pro level guitar player with about 16 years experience and guitar and bass both require memorization of notes on the neck. Once you do that, every song ever written is yours. It takes time, but it is worth it. If you don't believe my credentials, goto -

http://questforstone.../CVS1/cvs1.html

Being an avid video gamer for years, I have been goofing around with the music from the original NES Castlevania. Check them out. I play Keyboard, Bass and Guitar, and the drums are loops (I used Acid loop 3 to record this stuff) enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users