• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

I'm looking to buy my first XBox, and I found this listing for a cheap XBox, but it's currently non-functional.

I bought this Xbox a few days ago, it turned on and I set the system clock and whatnot, deleted some old save games files, kept a few I might use for reference, but now it doesn't display. Turns on, but nothing shows on screen. I'm not sure what’s wrong with it but as I have no knowledge of these things, nor the time to attempt to fix it I am selling it As Is.

I will also include the controller that came with it, the power cord and the RCA adaptor to connect it to a television.

Shipping will be $6 for USPS Parcel Post (usually takes 2 days to be received). I will respond to all legitimate inquires.

I'm pretty technically inclined, so if it sounds like a cheap fix, I'm all for it. I just don't want to go after this, and then end up spending more than the cost of a decent used XBox to fix it.

Someone already told me to ask the seller if the light was green or red when he turns it on, and I'm awaiting a reply on that, but they also told me to come here and ask for some insight.

Any help would be much appreciated. biggrin.gif

#2 mrdan

mrdan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

You should definitely ask if the XBOX appears to have been opened before. It's as simple as looking at the bottom stickers.

#3 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(mrdan @ Mar 15 2006, 06:01 PM) View Post

You should definitely ask if the XBOX appears to have been opened before. It's as simple as looking at the bottom stickers.

I just sent another e-mail, still waiting on a response to the first one. Thanks.

#4 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

I also just found a couple XBoxes on eBay with disc read errors, how cheap are XBox compatible DVD-ROM drives?

Can I just use any EIDE drive, or does it need to be an XBox specific one?

#5 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:40 AM

Got an e-mail back from the first guy

Yes I still have it, Red I think, But I'll check later, and yes, the previous owner had opened it.

Thoughts? Comments?

In regards to the two I saw on eBay:

I read about the XBox DVD-ROM having a non-standard power connector, but a common IDE connector.

I've got an extra DVD drive in an extra PC. Could I just splice the power connector and use that, or is there more to it?

#6 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:57 AM

I just checked the FAQ forum like a good little noob. ohmy.gif

From what I gathered, I should hope it's flashing green & orange. If not, I probably shouldn't get it without expecting an expensive repair bill, right?

#7 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

I'd just go with one of the DDE xboxes.
If it has a Thomson drive, a $15 laser will fix it.

#8 lildave151

lildave151

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

Its hard to say. Since it has been opened before (even before the person you would buy it from) there is no telling what was done to it to make it stop working. Did it ever work for the current owner? Did he do something to it? As for the dvd drive. Original xbox drives have the same ide connector but different ones for the power supply and it isn't just a quick splice. There are only a couple of regular computer drives that will work in an xbox. Some of which require a firmware flash and I think all require upening up the drive and soldering in some wires to connect to the regular xbox rom connector. I think you can get an unmodified regular cd rom for like 45$ and a pre-modified plug n play cd rom for like 55$. Search around and you will find plenty about putting in regular drives in an xbox. http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/203870 that might help steer you in the right direction but there is tons about it elsewhere as well as on xbox-scene I'm sure. (otherwise you could just buy a regular xbox drive although they are more expensive (except for maybe just buying a new laser as alex548 said), read slower, and read less types of media. good luck and don't buy an xbox that you cant fix cause taht would suck.

Edited by lildave151, 16 March 2006 - 01:38 AM.

#9 mstandlee

mstandlee

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Location:*The middle of nowhere*, Ewood, Kansas, United States
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Or if you are going to mod it, you could just use a standard pc dvd rom drive, and splice the power off the hard drive.. It wont play originals though, only backups.. wink.gif

mstandlee

#10 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

i buy atleast 1 xbox a week off ebay i only buy ones with dirty disk errors. thats 100% a simple fix either buy a new dvd off ebay or buy a laser for the type of dvd it is and replace it.

i will also grab ones flashing red and yellow or red and orange as those are simple too throw a modchip on them and bam sam for boot three times and stay off throw a modchip on and bam good to go..

its hard to say what the problem iswith ebay its all a bunch of crap... they all lie about what happened.

ill almost guarenteee you that guy opened the xbox up and either screwed up a mod or was trying to softmod the xbox and totally screwed something up.

but it is possible the eeprom died..

you need to ask him if the front led light flashes red,, or stay solid red.. or flashes red yellow or red orange or whatever..

it could also simply need to be powered off unplugged from the wall.. and sit for a day i have fixed boxes like those its a piece of cake.. ut i always throw on a modchip or do a tsop flash and they never fail again..

id do a tsop... its free.... takes about an hour or 2 total... and you then have a fully functional modded xbox.

the tsop does 100% everything that a modchip can do unless you get some of the higher end modchips that have extra features.

just do the proper research into doing mods or fixes you can EASILY!! take a broken xbox and make it into a big fat paper weight.

#11 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

I got an e-mail back from the original guy, he says "it flashes green, turns off twice then flashes red and green and won't open the cd tray."

What am I probably looking at here?

QUOTE(mstandlee @ Mar 15 2006, 08:59 PM) View Post

Or if you are going to mod it, you could just use a standard pc dvd rom drive, and splice the power off the hard drive.. It wont play originals though, only backups.. wink.gif

mstandlee

It won't play originals, even after being modded?

#12 RedSoxFox7

RedSoxFox7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

How close in color are the orange and red blinks? Is it possible this guy has mistaken the colors and it's actually blinking orange and green?

And if it's orange/green, is it DEFINITELY just the cable? Or could the actual AV connector on the XBox be bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users