X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

I've been presented with a problem and I've come up a few solutions...

First of all, my problem is that i need a detachable 10-12v power source.

DETACHABLE externally.

Ya, it's not an everyday thing that you see on the forums. I don't want to set up 2 USB ports from the front in parallel to grab 10v. But, would that be possible? I could just cut and split the wires of two USB ports to grab 5v a piece. Then put them in parallel to the fans I wish to power. Would two power sources of the same voltage (pressure difference) create a combined voltage of 10v?

Crap, I don't remember this stuff! LOL!

If not, how else would I make an external detachable power source? I'm completely stumped on this one. My only other idea was to grab 12v from the DVD drive and run it out one of the fan holes.

But then, im still left with how I'm going to make it detachable! AHH!

My main purpose is to make it cosmetically pleasing. THANKS for all ideas submitted. I really need 'em. BTW this topic concerns with two special order fans that I'm gonna make a quick tut for. I'm looking for a high voltage source because my xbox is overheating from all the extra devices I put in it (fans, LOTS of lights, tape, hot glue, ect.).

Can't wait to see the feedback pop.gif

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 16 March 2006 - 04:14 AM.

#2 Nathan219

Nathan219

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:I love playing video games, talking on forums about technical stuff, modding my 360, Heather (my GF)
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:38 AM

Im confused.... exactly what are you doing?

#3 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:16 AM

Um, It's hard to re-word what I'm doing...

Let me just review it again:

I'm trying to use or create a external power supply of 10-12v that is detachable.

I just offered a few of my own ideas when I started to talk about the USB ports in parallel.

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 16 March 2006 - 05:17 AM.

#4 GSX

GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

You can always get a extra usb female plug and work it into ur case powered from the 12v on the dvd. Then again if ur willing to loose a usb port, you can just desolder the connetions to the mother board and wire it up to the 12v from the dvd( not too sure about this one, but it should be possible).

#5 Thorn14

Thorn14

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

Do you mean that you want two usb cords fused together for a 10-12 volt powersouce so you can plus it into the 360 when you want it, so you can power some fans?

#6 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Sloppy Fat Dump @ Mar 16 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post

DETACHABLE externally.
Ya, it's not an everyday thing that you see on the forums. I don't want to set up 2 USB ports from the front in parallel to grab 10v. But, would that be possible? I could just cut and split the wires of two USB ports to grab 5v a piece. Then put them in parallel to the fans I wish to power. Would two power sources of the same voltage (pressure difference) create a combined voltage of 10v?

Nope, not possible. You would need some kind of inverter to do that, you can't just take two 5V sources and magically turn them into 10V, you would need aditional circutry.

QUOTE(Sloppy Fat Dump @ Mar 16 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post

If not, how else would I make an external detachable power source? I'm completely stumped on this one. My only other idea was to grab 12v from the DVD drive and run it out one of the fan holes.

That sounds like a more viable idea. Or why not simply use a external 12V adapter? That way you don't strain the psu any more.. (since it sounds like your allready taking a bit of juice out of it)

regards
Pablot

#7 rob_hellfire

rob_hellfire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, MTBing, Sailing, Windsurfing, Swimming, Walking, And would you believe i'm still fat !!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

As said above the 2 5volt usb's can't be added together, would be alright if the two weren't from same source, if you check with voltmeter the grounds are probably common (no resistance between them), why not scavenge a slim-line connector like thosee for power,reset,led's on a pc case then you only need a small vent slot where you can wire your dvd haked supply to then just push your 2-prong adapter through the hole and voila smile.gif

not really good example, but like connectors on this

power cable extender thingy

Hopefully helpful, also just to make sure your not running anything too big on here are you???, a fan or 2 will be good but apart from removing the pwer from dvd the wires aren't very big gauge smile.gif

Have fun and good luck finding a solution

#8 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

you can't just add voltage, electricity just doesn't work like that laugh.gif

your best bet would be to just hardware a molex connector into the back of the case, grab the power internally where the PSU feed comes in...

that would be the cleanest/most versatile way to go.

#9 gerzand

gerzand

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Something similar to what Twistedsymphony said...

I would take 12v from the motherboard and use some resistors to get it down to 10v (if you would fry whatever ur powering with 12v) and then get out your box of old electronics and find a female power cord coming from any AC adapter brick, and fit it with a matching Male end (male end fixed inside of the 360 after drilling a small hole). This will give you a modular design that is pleasing to the eye thats pretty much unnoticable when not plugged in!

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers!

Gerzand cool.gif

#10 haloloser

haloloser

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

what you definately want to do is go with something like mentioned above by twistedsymphony. in this case you will want a voltage regulator as apposed to a resistor. ive got a simple diagram of how you would wire a lm317t to accomplish a approximate voltage output, if you are interested. im not sure if this is the simplest way (symphony, pablot!?), but it is very straightfoward. also, might i suggest something like a female rca jack plate for the 10v output on the back of the case. it has connections for both + and - lines, and will look very clean. you will also use the male connector for your external psu. hope i was at least a little help. good luck!

#11 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

Wow. I've got soo many ideas to choose from! They're all great! I'm going to do a little cutting tonight... a couple of pictures... and ect. to make an easy to follow tut for anyone who's interested.

I looked at price, simplicity, supplies, and resulting look. I decided to try out the molex connector idea. Mostly because I've got a lot of them and I'm not worried about jacking 'em up. Plus, they've got a lot better support than the AC power cord idea (no worries, still good suggestion).

Thanks guys

This little add on might take maybe a day or so depending on when I get time. So sit tight if you want to see my results.

#12 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

Almost everything went smoothly during this mini-project. I've sucessfully installed the external power source with the help of a spare molex connector.

The only problem I'm left with is a noisy DVD drive that doesn't like to start up on the first time. *cuz i've got like 5 devices pulling power from the drive tongue.gif *

It's 2:00 am here and I need to get some sleep.

Tomarrow I'll make that tut for everyone. I just need to do a few things; create a new photo hosting username (previous one is filled), find some time, upload everything, and I've got to write the damn thing.

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 17 March 2006 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users