3 replies to this topic

#1 Robotron

Robotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

Can something besides the Xenium OS be flashed to the ICE modchip?
I ask this because my eeprom is toast and I have been told to reflash it with my mod-chip (first by injecting my image into the cromwell and then flashing so it boots as my OS).

Now because my eeprom is toast I can not boot the Xenium OS from eject (since nothing works), but I do get audio/video on the recovery screen.

I have injected and made a file called recovery.bin, but it will not write this to the Xenium OS spot.
Can anyone give me some ideas?

btw if this is impossible is there another mod-chip out there that can do this job for me? (or another mod that can boot around the faulty eeprom).

thanks everyone.

#2 JonBOY

JonBOY

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:56 AM

I think you may be able to fix this by getting your hands on another EEPROM compatible with your version of Xbox. You can then make a bootable file of something like XBMC (need to rename the xboxmediacenter.xbe as default.xbe) and copy the EEPROM to a specific location on your hardrive (root of the C: drive). I'm not sure if XBMCs FTP function works whilst booted fom CD, I suspect it would, if not you may need to adjust network settings. If that doesn't work, add a folder (named whatever you want) containing the EEPROM.bin file to your CD when you burn the bootable XBMC disc. Once booted into XBMC, you should be able to navigate to it within the My Files option and copy it to where it needs to go.

Then you want to make a bootable cd of a program called EEPROMagic and use that program to restore your EEPROM from the one your copied to the C:. If all goes well you will then be able to boot into Xenium OS where you can then use the 'restore EEPROM from backup' option to get you back to your original EERPOM (provided you backed it up to the chips memory)

Also, before things got messed up, did you happen to back up your EEPROM to .bin? (did you use the 'backup EEPROM to .bin' function). If so then you will already have an EEPROM backup on your harddrive (I think it'll be called 'EEPROMbackup.bin' or someting like that) and you can use that (it would be in the root of the E: drive). EEROMagic only looks for EEPROM in the root of the C: drive so you would need to copy it there and may also need to rename it to EERPOM.bin instead of EEPROMbackup.bin

remember though to get an EEPROM thats compatible with your version XBOX. If it still doesn't work after all that you may need to use a prgram on your PC to configure the EEPROM file to ypur Xbox specifications. But try the above first.

#3 Robotron

Robotron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the advice JonBOY.

I have tried these things, but even when I make a bootable cd (or DVD) it won't load at all (no audio or video).

#4 JonBOY

JonBOY

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:18 AM

hmmmmm.....

just to be double sure, when youy made the bootable disc(s) did you re-name the 'xboxmediacenter.xbe' file as 'default.xbe' so the box automatically lauches it? Also, the latest build of XBMC has a patch program that allows to you put it in the C: drive and everything else in your E: then the patch tells the xbox where to look. If you did re-name the .xbe are you sure you renamed the right one....? it should be about 6.4 MB in size if I remember correctly whereas the patch is only around 1 MB.

In any case, there should be no complications for the EEPROMagic boot discs; just to confirm heres what you should have done.

Downloaded the EEPROMagic v0.01.rar file from Xbins. Extract it and rename EEPROMagic.xbe to default.xbe. Then, use Qwix to create an ISO image of the EEPROMagic v0.01 folder. Burnt the ISO to disc with Nero. Slap it in your Xbox. If thats what you did and it still wasn't able to boot the disc then yeahs there tough times ahead I'm afraid.

If you did all teh above and still cant get teh discs to boot, are you sure thats its an EEPROM problem and what are the syptoms of the problem. ie what colours do both the XBox LED and the chip LED fllight up as or flash?

Also can you remember what caused the error? were you changing video settings for example? (thats how I stuffed mine)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users