jAYrAM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

I have 2 unmodded xboxs both turn on but wot play games.(unable to read). Any good tutorials or tips out there.

#2 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

Replace the dvd drives.

#3 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

You need a new DVD drive or laser for your DVD drive. Replacing the whole drive is quite a bit simpler. Check ebay for xbox dvd drives or the Buy Sell forum here. Once you have the new drive, swapping out the old one is very simple.

#4 noselessmonk

noselessmonk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

You could try cleaning the drive(s) out first. My Thomson drive from my 1.0 xbox would barely ever load anything and would get frequent DDEs. So I opened it up and it was pretty full of cat hair and stuff which I cleaned out and now it works like new.

#5 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

Cleaning an xbox dvd drive
Thomson dvd laser replacement
Phillips laser replacement
Samsung laser replacement

Cleaning your laser costs nothing, but doesn't always fix the problem.

Replacing you laser is cost effective if the rest of the drive is working fine (motors, tray, etc....) Under $20 for a replacement laser.

Replacing the drive is the most expensive, but also the easiest to do (just plug & play). Even thomson drives have gone up in price lately and you'd be lucky to find a good working one for under $30 on ebay. If you want a brand new one... expect to pay over $40.

If you want a better drive than the Thomson.... expect to pay even more (up to $70 for one).

You have many options to fix disc read errors. Start at the least expensive one and work your way up.

#6 jAYrAM

jAYrAM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the tips guys! I checked both out both of the drives one wasnt spinning the disk at all(garbage).The other one was spinning but So I cleanded the eye and I put it back in the xbox and it didnt work. So I took it and put it in the other xbox and it did work.works perfect as a matter a fact.Do you think that there was something else wrong with the one that with the good dvd drive?.All I did was switch the DVD Drive that was spinning and switched boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users