Photo

Adding A External Power Supply (tutorial)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

Well, I've been at it again! lol. Here's my second tutorial for everyone. It's not very difficult but sometimes tedious.

We'll be making an extra external power supply that you can access from outside of your xbox! Hints the external part tongue.gif .

IPB Image
If you follow all the instructions properly... your power supply can be as sexy as this.

IPB Image
Here's where the connector fits.

INDEX
  • Supplies
  • Preparing the Internals
  • Trimming the Heat Shield
  • Trimming the Case
  • Installing the Connector

You'll need a few things to begin.

Supplies
  • Clamping device (needle nose, adjustable wrench, anything that works)
  • Molex 4 point female connector
  • Hot Glue
  • Hacksaw (with removable blade)
  • Dremel
  • 400 grit+ Sand paper (if you want to touch up your case)

Here's the molex I used from my spare parts.
IPB Image

Preparing the Internals

To start things off, you are going to have to first take out your motherboard. I know... it can be a real hassle if you've got a lot of shit added on it. Especially when your solder joints don't like to stick.

IPB Image
Now we are looking at the ethernet port on the motherboard. You are going to have to remove the two little prongs on the right side. Later on they are going to be in the way and will prevent you from installing your connector.

Use your clamping device and wiggle the pieces until they come loose. I found that about 5 wiggles back and forth and then a full 360 degree turn just takes them off cleanly and easily.

IPB Image
First one shown off.

IPB Image
Both shown off.

With those two pieces off that's about all trimming we will have to do on the inside of the case. The rest of the trimming will be done on the actual case and heat shield. But don't put that motherboard back in, we've got more work to do on it in a bit.

Trimming the Heat Shield

This part was the most tedious. Partly because of the terrible angle offered by cutting with a hacksaw. You will require much patience for this part. That is only if you want it to look neat. If not, you're welcome to make some sloppy cuts with the good old tin smiths.

IPB Image
Grab your good old hacksaw and your heatshield.

IPB Image
Remove your hacksaw blade and feed it through the ethernet/USB port hole. Put it back on your hacksaw UPSIDE DOWN. It's the only way that you can get an angle to cut what you need.

IPB Image
Here's that crappy angle I've been talking about the whole time. For some people it will require many one-motion cuts away from you. That's why it took me so long. I couldn't cut while I was slicing the saw back towards my body.

IPB Image
I just cooked up this simple diagram real quick to show you the two cuts you need to make. ONLY TWO. The picture shows my motherboard in there.... Don't worry, when I was cutting it wasn't jester.gif .

IPB Image
After five minutes.

IPB Image
Five more minutes later. But, im starting to get the hang of it!

IPB Image
With the two cuts finished, we're done with the hacksaw.

IPB Image
Grab that clamping device again. Next you need to bend the little piece you just cut. Bend it towards you and out of the heatshield.

IPB Image
Shown out of the box.

IPB Image
Now you want to clamp that little piece again. This time you are going to rotate your wrist 180 degrees to the left to break the ONE "weld" on the heat shield.

IPB Image
Keep wiggling the piece and the metel with split nice and clean.

IPB Image
Here's what the finished product looks like! Yay!

Trimming the Case

This is the easiest part of the process. I used several dremel tips to make the nice and neat curves uniform to the stock plugs. Use whatever tips that suit you best.

IPB Image
Pull out your handy dandy dremel.

IPB Image
Here's another diagram I made to help show where you need to cut.

Points #1 #2 - Here's where you want to line up your cuts to. If you look at the insides of your case you can see that the path is nicely supported and is almost "mapped out."

IPB Image
Here's what you'll end up with on the inside. (Please excuse some of my sloppy painting)

IPB Image
The outside view. (This really degrades my painting skills. But don't worry, that's not visable with plugs put in)

The next step is to sand it down a little bit. No picture required to show you how to do this one happy.gif .

Installing the Connector

Almost finished. There's not too much you can screw up on while doing this.

IPB Image
Here's the same picture shown at the begining of the tutorial.

IPB Image
To make your connector fit in its spot like a shoe, you are going to need to trim down the edges. Just cut the two pieces circled in the picture.

IPB Image
Here is your standard molex plug. Hook up your molex to whatever specifications you want. I used only the 12v and grounds. But, most devices require the 5v as well.

For this step you can choose whatever power supply you want to hook your connector up to. I'm taking my power from the 12v source on the DVD player.

Now you can screw your mother board back in.

IPB Image
Now line up your connector to the edge of your case. KEEP THAT POSITION! It's crucial that you don't move it while you are securing it in your xbox. Now, remove the case when you have the desired postition.

IPB Image
It should look something like this.

IPB Image
Now you want to drop it in and cover it with hot glue. To be safe, I hot glued it through that "weld" we broke earlier and on the back of it.

Give it 5 minutes and it won't move an inch!!!! That baby is good to go.

Test it out, put back together your case, and enjoy your new power supply!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Happy modding guys! If you get stuck you need some additional help, don't hesitate to PM me.

Your friend,
Sloppy Fat Dump

#2 F1R3STORM

F1R3STORM

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

Very nice tut man i thik ill do this while i got my mobo out, one thing though ive seen external molex connectors on pcs and i kind of dont seen the point (is it to test your stuff?) if you could clarify a useful thing to plug in there id definately do it

#3 clickerX

clickerX

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:21 AM

whats the point in this ?

#4 nfs911

nfs911

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, PC Games- Counter-Strike: Source

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE(clickerX @ Mar 17 2006, 09:28 PM) View Post

You can easily add some external fans, cold cathodes, crap like that.

#5 chalosf

chalosf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE(clickerX @ Mar 17 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

This coming from the guy that mad a window on a non-working hard drive? Ok

Nice tut by the way

#6 reZz

reZz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

Very nice man, thanks a ton for the tutorial. Now I'll just wait two years for my warranty to end before I hack up my beloved 360.

#7 haloloser

haloloser

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

very clean install. i am curious as to what you will use it for. i didnt really catch the jist of your prior post. also, if its drawing that much current from your dvd drive, you might want to think about a revision that draws power directly from the intrance point.

#8 b15ginz

b15ginz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, web design.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

damn nice. i just got my xbox, i wish i had it for over 90 days so i can crack it open. is there a way to add 2 12v fans with using the 5v usb.

#9 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:13 AM

Nice, but I'm still not seeing the point of it. I guess it is more useful than a window on a broken harddrive though... blink.gif

EDIT: haha. chalosf beat me to it!

Edited by Arjun, 19 March 2006 - 03:13 AM.

#10 esc1

esc1

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(chalosf @ Mar 17 2006, 11:04 PM) View Post

This coming from the guy that mad a window on a non-working hard drive? Ok

Nice tut by the way

Owned!

Lol but in all seriousness just browsing through fast wouldn't plugging in crap put pressure on the ethernet/usb port, possibly breaking it off? Just going by the pics with this question..

#11 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(F1R3STORM @ Mar 17 2006, 07:28 PM) View Post

Very nice tut man i thik ill do this while i got my mobo out, one thing though ive seen external molex connectors on pcs and i kind of dont seen the point (is it to test your stuff?) if you could clarify a useful thing to plug in there id definately do it

QUOTE(clickerX @ Mar 17 2006, 08:28 PM) View Post

LOL! Sorry to leave you guys hangin. I've been kinda busy lately and hadn't looked at my post for a day. I'm sure you guys understand. Moving to a new house isn't that easy.

I'll let you guys in on a secret.... SHHH! Don't tell anyone ph34r.gif . I've got yet ANOTHER tut for you guys. It has to do with some CPU fans and that external power source I showed you. After my parts get in, I'll dive into this mini-project and get you the details.

What's the point?!

First of all, it's convient. Most aftermarket computer acessories these days come with a standard 4 point molex connector. These acessories include devices like... fans, lazer LEDs, all other light goodies, and whatever else you can find.

You could also even solder wires to the 4 points themselves! I've got some dual clamping wires. If I feel like testing out something... I don't know... like a new lazer LED board, I'll just clamp it on there. Check out what I mean...

IPB Image

Ignore the other crap. But the wires shown in the picture are very useful and I use them with my molex connectors all the time. They are similar to the black and red wires connected to the battery on the left. Not those thick ones connected to the multimeter (is that a multimeter?) to the right.

QUOTE(esc1 @ Mar 19 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post

Owned!
Lol but in all seriousness just browsing through fast wouldn't plugging in crap put pressure on the ethernet/usb port, possibly breaking it off? Just going by the pics with this question..

Well actually, if you look at the picture. It's a nice a snug fit. If you glue it right you can get a lot of support from the heat shield. But, don't worry if you don't. That USB/ethernet port is stuck in there good!

If you're still afraid of breaking something (which I highly doubt if you've done everything carefully), I can imagine that you can put more glue on the outside of the heat shield. Maybe even some heavy duty sealent.

To answer you question though directly. No, you probably won't "break off" or damage your USB/ethernet port. I say probably because people do some stupid things.

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 19 March 2006 - 08:59 AM.

#12 KoRnitup

KoRnitup

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

I really like this idea, but wouldn't it be better if you made the power source internal? What I mean is: Why not just hook up a molex connector to points currently in the 360. That way you can still hook up things to the molex, without having to plug in another cord to the back of your 360 to give it power. But, I don't know too much about molex connectors (other than I use them frequently and love them!) so the power points may not be available... Extremely nice tut though pop.gif

#13 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

I'm a little confused with what you mean by internally. Maybe like a little better explaination or a little picture would help me out a bit. The whole idea for this is to have a power source that you could easily change devices with externally.

Thanks for the comments btw!

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 19 March 2006 - 07:53 PM.

#14 chipdouglas2819

chipdouglas2819

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

how would u hook up both voltages for this?

#15 N0 F3AR 1488

N0 F3AR 1488

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 26 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

That's pretty cool but I'm not sure what I would use it for. It would probably almost never get used for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users