8 replies to this topic

#1 juan

juan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

So I know that error 16 is a clock error due to the box being unplugged for a few hours. It then loses the time, so it goes to the dash to read it from there and if the dash is missing or corrupt you'll get error 16.

My friends xbox was getting error 16 one day. So I put my unlocked drive into his xbox. It still reported error 16. I am sure that my dash is not corrupt though (I use a Krayzies soft mod).

If I lock his hard drive to my xbox it boots to the msdash upon boot no problem.

Is there some type of hardware malfunction with his xbox??

I've tried another hard drive and we still get error 16.

his xbox is tsop is flashed with evox.

any ideas??

#2 xboxgamer733

xboxgamer733

X-S Moderating Team

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

Have you tried restoring the MS dashboard to your friend's Xbox?

You can get the MS dashboard from a Slayer's auto-installer disc, and use XboxHDM to copy them to your friend's hard drive.

#3 juan

juan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

I have not tried to restore his dash since I havent been able to get my hd to boot on his box.

My dashboard has never been altered (aside from what Krayzies installer does) and it doesnt work (it should boot to the msdash when in his box).

I've tried another friends hd on it and it doesnt work either.

So I dont beleive that restoring his dash will fix it

I can get his drive to boot into the msdash when locked and installed into my xbox.

help sad.gif

#4 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

I assume your friend's Xbox is not modded, huh? It is important to tell us if his Xbox is or isn't modded, as if it isn't there is a good chance that his HDD has gone bad. I just fixed one of these problems a few weeks ago.
Xbox Boot Order
-Power On
-Check Clock
-----If time is not present, go to Xbox Dash to set clock
-------If Dash is present, set clock and Xbox Boots
-------If dash is not present, error.
(If a modchip or TSOP is present, the Clock Check will be bypassed)

Okay, what you need to do first is get your friend's Xbox modded (preferably with a solderless modchip). Then, you can put a Slayers disc in and reinstall his MS Dash. Then, you can turn off the mod, boot up, and set the clock. If you still get the error 16 after this with the mod disabled then his HDD is almost definately hosed and you will need a new one. Install it and lock it to his Xbox with Slayers.

If you used Krayzie's Softmod, your HDD cannot POSSIBLY be unlocked since an Xbox without a modchip or TSOP flash cannot use an unlocked HDD and will produce Error 5, so there are a few holes in the story.

EDIT: The other drives don't work in his Xbox because they are locked and only work in the Xbox they came in unless unlocked.
Is your buddy's Xbox HDD softmodded? If so, have you tried booting with Eject and Power? Maybe there is dual-boot enabled. Also, maybe there is a problem with his clock chip.

Edited by CattyKid, 18 March 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#5 juan

juan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

In the first post I said that his box is modded via tsop flash.
His dash is mxm but its setup for live so there still exists the original xboxdash.xbe

his Hard drive is not hosed since I can get it to work in my xbox (in my last post)

So theres no need to use something like slayers or an evox boot disk.

I'm pretty sure (99.14% smile.gif ) that a boot disk wouldnt bypass the error 16 since the clock error is encountered before it checks the dvd drive during the boot process.

I will double check this though with an evox disk.

yep no luck.

This is why his error 16 is so weird.

there should either be something wrong with his dashboard. which is not the case

Or I should be able to hook up a working drive into his box. But no matter whose/what drive I place into his xbox I seem to still get error 16.

and again if I hook his hd up to my xbox it works just fine

#6 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(juan @ Mar 18 2006, 04:51 PM) View Post

In the first post I said that his box is modded via tsop flash.
His dash is mxm but its setup for live so there still exists the original xboxdash.xbe

his Hard drive is not hosed since I can get it to work in my xbox (in my last post)

So theres no need to use something like slayers or an evox boot disk.

I'm pretty sure (99.14% smile.gif ) that a boot disk wouldnt bypass the error 16 since the clock error is encountered before it checks the dvd drive during the boot process.

I will double check this though with an evox disk.

yep no luck.

This is why his error 16 is so weird.

there should either be something wrong with his dashboard. which is not the case

Or I should be able to hook up a working drive into his box. But no matter whose/what drive I place into his xbox I seem to still get error 16.

and again if I hook his hd up to my xbox it works just fine

Sorry that I missed that, m8, and I agree that this Err 16 is very weird.
You must be using a bios that doesn't support Error 16 fix.
Okay, now let's see... check out this TABLE from the vaults at X-S. Is there any way that you could put a solderless modchip in his Xbox with one of the bioses that supports Err16 fix? Then, you could access the MS Dash and set your clock.

Is the MS Dash in the default location (you said it was set up for Live, but how was he going online with a TSOP flash, does he have a disable switch)? This could cause a problem as well. If it is not where it is supposed to be then the Xbox will not be able to find it, but due to what you've already told us I doubt this is the problem.

I would try getting a bios with Error 16 fix if you can. It is going to take a little playing around to get a solderless chip or desolder someone else's chip so that you can boot up with an Err16 fix bios, but I believe that may be your best bet.

EDIT:
Here is a little Error 16 reading that may help you but most likely won't. You certainly seem to have a good understanding on it and are doing what I would be doing.

16 - dashboard - Clock cannot be set. Well i wrote earlier another tutorial about this specific error so here it is:

Basically it comes down to this. error 16 has to do with not finding the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. This happens to a lot of people that:
1. Erase there hdd (original/upgraded) and after that they dont immediatly install the hdd but leave the xbox without power longer than 5 hours.

It's all about the hdd can;t find the menu with which it can set the clock. This is mostly because the xbox hdd is empty (you removed dashboard or fux0red with ftpp). The problem arises when xbox searches for menu to set clock with, can't find it and voila: error 16. Well read on please!

So you have an error 16 uh? Don't worry "nothing" is broken!

You have an xbox hdd that is locked. And normally you can boot in original and modded mode. Retail or Upgraded doesnt matter. You start playing around with msdashboard.xbe default.xbe that sort off stuff using ftp programs. While doing this you "accidently" remove your msdashboard and also the evo-x dashboard so there is no dash anymore on the xbox hdd. You end the ftp session and after that you shut off your xbox. Normally when you would start up again it gives you an error 13/14 ( no dashboard found). No worries with a slayer evo-x cd all is ok. BUT this is only WITHIN 3 hours or so.

This is becuz the internal clock of the xbox will only be kept alive by the condensators for only 3 hours or 4 . So when you leave your xbox unplugged form electricity for over 5 hours after you have played with the .xbe's AND you have removed your (ms and evox)dash from your xbox than you are fux0red. Why do you ask?
Why can't i boot from cd?

Its as follows
Xbox starts booting==> (almost 1st thing a xbox does is) searches for internal clock==> doesnt find internal clock becuz there hasnt been any electricity on the xbox for 5 hours so battery that kept clock alive is empty and clock is gone.==> searches for the proper dashboard menu to set clock with ==> doesnt find msdashboard or evo-x dashboard menu becuz you have removed it from the hdd for whatever reasons you had==>xbox gives error 16: cannot set clock.

So what do you do about it? Two options!

1. There are some bios'es around that allow the chip to boot past the clocksetting. (do a search!).So how do you get that bios on your chip becuz you cant boot to a flash program or something. Well you need to have an external flasher.

It seems the m8 bios will take care for you of booting past the clocksetting. Or Use the latest executor bios

2. This is the more easy and newbie friendly strategy
-Get a friend with a modded xbox.
-Unlock his hdd with eeprom management from a slayer evo-x cd.
-Than, place his hdd in your xbox.
-Boot with your chip on.
-Now the xbox DOES find a dashboard when you boot in original mode and you can set the time in the msdashboard clock settings.
-Shut off xbox and remove your friends hdd
-PLace his hdd back in his xbox and lock it again
-Install your hdd
-(clock has been set) So boot up with slayer cd.
-Install normally whatever you wanna install
-lock hdd

Once again, I would try for Option 1. I fixed an error 16, but the bios I always use had Err16 fix so I didn't encounter rpoblems.

Edited by CattyKid, 18 March 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#7 juan

juan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

There used to be a switch on his xbox that enabled him to get on to live. This has since been removed.
His dashboard (xboxdash.xbe) is still the original.

I appreciate your help CattyKid but sadly I dont have a mod chip lying around anymore.

I was hoping that maybe someone had an explanation for this since its so out of the ordinary.

I have also fixed a few error 16's in the past which is why this one is so perplexing.

#8 juan

juan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

*Bump*

In hopes of getting some help

#9 juan

juan

X-S Member