Photo

Question About My Swapping Hd's For Live.....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peace5eighty6

peace5eighty6

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

I have a 1.6 xbox, and I'm wanting to get a X3CE chip put in and throw a 200gig seagate in with it. I currently have been on LIVE for about a year on my stock xbox, and I have two LIVE accounts on that box.

My Question: I've heard horror stories about people getting banned for having hacked files on their aftermarket HD's, so I was thinking I'd just swap my stock drive in when I play LIVE and take it out, to play burnt games. Would this work?? Would there be any EEprom problems, as long as my stock drive is used for LIVE only?

Is there a switch or something I could use to choose which HD to boot up on...to avoid having to manually unplug HD's every time??

#2 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE(peace5eighty6 @ Mar 19 2006, 12:26 PM) View Post

I have a 1.6 xbox, and I'm wanting to get a X3CE chip put in and throw a 200gig seagate in with it. I currently have been on LIVE for about a year on my stock xbox, and I have two LIVE accounts on that box.

My Question: I've heard horror stories about people getting banned for having hacked files on their aftermarket HD's, so I was thinking I'd just swap my stock drive in when I play LIVE and take it out, to play burnt games. Would this work?? Would there be any EEprom problems, as long as my stock drive is used for LIVE only?

Is there a switch or something I could use to choose which HD to boot up on...to avoid having to manually unplug HD's every time??

I haven't actually seen a switch for the hdd but I heard of it.

Edited by shadow23, 19 March 2006 - 02:27 AM.

#3 peace5eighty6

peace5eighty6

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:27 AM

...excuse my noobishness...but could you go into detail, as to why I may get banned?

If I swapped HD's when the box is off, (network cable unplugged), and put in my stock drive (plug in network cable) and connect to LIVE...where would be the problem? ...just not seeing it

#4 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(peace5eighty6 @ Mar 19 2006, 12:34 PM) View Post

...excuse my noobishness...but could you go into detail, as to why I may get banned?

If I swapped HD's when the box is off, (network cable unplugged), and put in my stock drive (plug in network cable) and connect to LIVE...where would be the problem? ...just not seeing it

Sorry I didn't read your all of the post. But Like I said you should be safe with your stock hdd.

#5 peace5eighty6

peace5eighty6

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

So what would I have to do to get the 200gig HD put in (in terms of EEprom)? Would I have to get a seperate EEprom just for my 200gig HD or how would that work? (The 200gig would be for OFFLINE use ONLY)

BTW, could I simply get an IDE cable that has 3 hookups, to connect my dvd-rom, stock HD, and 200gig HD...and then create a switch to switch HD's at boot up?

Edited by peace5eighty6, 19 March 2006 - 03:26 AM.

#6 MeAndMyBrokenXboxAreSad

MeAndMyBrokenXboxAreSad

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:34 AM

ok, with a chip.......no you would not be safe. As far as my knowledge goes, the chip you are talking about cannot be used for what u wanna do. It would load the modded bios, and therefore boot u.
so, I would suggest using the xecuter3 modchip and xecuter lpc rebuild chip.
with that, you can have a switch so you can select it to boot the original bios+original dash.
xectuer is the cadillac of modchips in my opinion.

#7 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(peace5eighty6 @ Mar 19 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post

So what would I have to do to get the 200gig HD put in (in terms of EEprom)? Would I have to get a seperate EEprom just for my 200gig HD or how would that work? (The 200gig would be for OFFLINE use ONLY)

Don't need a new or different eeprom for the big hdd. Since you have a chip you don't have to lock your hdd if you don't want to. So you probably don't need the eeprom in the big hdd. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Just as long as you use the stock hdd for live, you're safe.

QUOTE(peace5eighty6 @ Mar 19 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post

BTW, could I simply get an IDE cable that has 3 hookups, to connect my dvd-rom, stock HD, and 200gig HD...and then create a switch to switch HD's at boot up?

I don't know about that? All I know is you have to fully make sure that you isolate one of the hdd's. Meaning you can't have any power or any other wires on the other hdd while the other one is running (in short you can't have two hdd's on same IDE cable unless you make a fully isolated switch for the hdd's). I came across a tutorial a long tome ago about making a hdd switch but I couldn't be bothered looking for it at this time.

QUOTE(MeAndMyBrokenXboxAreSad @ Mar 19 2006, 01:41 PM) View Post

ok, with a chip.......no you would not be safe. As far as my knowledge goes, the chip you are talking about cannot be used for what u wanna do. It would load the modded bios, and therefore boot u.
with that, you can have a switch so you can select it to boot the original bios+original dash.

What are you on about? Any modchip will do him (as long as he can turn it OFF). If he has a stock hdd and disables the chip before he goes to live he'll be safe. Provided that he hasn't changed or added any files.

Edited by shadow23, 19 March 2006 - 03:50 AM.

#8 peace5eighty6

peace5eighty6

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE(MeAndMyBrokenXboxAreSad @ Mar 18 2006, 09:41 PM) View Post

You do realize that I am talking about booting up on HD at a time? I'm not following you....could you please ellaborate?

QUOTE(shadow23 @ Mar 18 2006, 09:51 PM) View Post

All I know is you have to fully make sure that you isolate one of the hdd's. Meaning you can't have any power or any other wires on the other hdd while the other one is running (in short you can't have two hdd's on same IDE cable unless you make a fully isolated switch for the hdd's). I came across a tutorial a long tome ago about making a hdd switch but I couldn't be bothered looking for it at this time.

I found this tutorial from llama's page: http://www.llamma.co...cable_udma_.htm

Scroll down to the bottom (if you could) and look at the final picture to show you what I've been talking about. With a switch like that, I could simply choose which HD to boot up with... by flicking the switch.

What is the guy (above) talking about? I'm looking at buying an Xecuter 3CE chip...would it not work?

Thanks soooooo much for your help, shadow - it's very appreciated biggrin.gif

#9 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(peace5eighty6 @ Mar 19 2006, 01:55 PM) View Post

You do realize that I am talking about booting up on HD at a time? I'm not following you....could you please ellaborate?
I found this tutorial from llama's page: http://www.llamma.co...cable_udma_.htm

Scroll down to the bottom (if you could) and look at the final picture to show you what I've been talking about. With a switch like that, I could simply choose which HD to boot up with... by flicking the switch.

What is the guy (above) talking about? I'm looking at buying an Xecuter 3CE chip...would it not work?

Thanks soooooo much for your help, shadow - it's very appreciated biggrin.gif

Like I said as long as your chip is turned OFF and with that switch you're fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users