GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

This is a Tutorial on how to make a flush mount plexi glass window on the Xbox360 hard drive.

Ok, I will assume you know how to open the HDD(if not there is pleanty tutorials). I don't have actual pics of the work, so I will just give you an idea of what to do.

After disassembling the HDD and removing the chrome trim, you're ready to draw your window on the hdd cover.

IPB Image
For example 2"x5". Trace it onto the top of the plastic cover and cut out with a dremel. File and sand the edges untill smooth.

Now get the plexi ready(don't remove the protective film). Lay the cut out HDD cover on top of the plexi, and trace the window onto the plexi. Now you have an idea of how much you have to cut to make the window fit.

DO NOT CUT ON THE LINE! Make sure you give some space all around the outline(I do 1/8" and have a steady hand).

So now you have a rough cutout with atleast 1/8" extra plexi all around. Get your file out and start working your way closer to the line you traced, test fitting as you get closer. The best advice I can give you is, take your time, one slip and you have start over.

IPB Image
Hopefully everything went well and it almost fits into the hole. The window will have to have a tight fit if you don't want to glue it. To the point that you need to force it into the hole.

IPB Image
Once you get it to pop in and it stays you're basically done. You can glue it into place, but be carefull that you don't spill extra glue.

IPB Image
Now you will have to cut out the center support for the chrome trim(you can leave it, but it will in the middle of the window).Cut it on the red lines.

Now the lights...
IPB Image
Unscrew the four t-8 screws from the hdd and slide it back(no need to remove it).

IPB Image
Unplug the cable from the drive and wiggle the whole cable and plugs out.

IPB Image
You will need to strip the yellow wire(5v+), and the black wire(ground).

IPB Image
I used 3 leds on each side in parallel. This way you only need 2 resistors. Glues them into place with whatever glue you like. Attach the leds to the power source, and youre done.

IPB Image
The finished product.

If you have any questions or I didn't make it clear enough, let me know(this is my first tut, if you can't tell laugh.gif )

Edited by GSX, 19 March 2006 - 10:00 AM.

#2 x Boarder x

x Boarder x

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:49 AM

quality tutorial!

thanks bud i will be trying this biggrin.gif

#3 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Ya, he could explain a little better. I've never done a flush mount and I'm sorta lost.

I understand the whole concept, but I've just got a few questions. If you don't glue it, as said is possible, how are you going to prevent the plexi from just popping in the hole along with the hard drive?

But, other than that, GREAT TUT!

Btw, mind sharing some tips for making those smooth straight cuts you've got?

#4 Granulated

Granulated

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

Freaking hot, mang.

#5 celticsfan

celticsfan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/celticsfan2k4.jpg[/img]

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

Wow, That is Amazing

#6 bubba_g

bubba_g

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

nice job, ive been waitin for this

#7 Thr3e Sixty

Thr3e Sixty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hey. I wouldn't mind doing this for my First ever mod.

But one thing i am concerned about is the LED's. Is there a way to have LED's without having to Solder?

Also please can you Describe the Flexi glass thingy abit more. I didn't quite understand it.

#8 Avaric3

Avaric3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

instead of soldering u can just twist the wirees togetherafter u strip them

#9 Thr3e Sixty

Thr3e Sixty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:07 PM

You see im 14 years old, so I dont reli have the right tools for stripping wires and soldering etc. And i wouldnt want to break the hdd.

#10 Thr3e Sixty

Thr3e Sixty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Hmmm, How much is it total for like all the tools? For the Screw Drivers, Dremel, File, LED's.

i think i'll twist the LED's around insted.

#11 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

Keep the ages out of the thread. It's completely pointless and makes you look stupid.

Nice tut man. I really like how it turned out. It's a nice subtle glow. Is the harddrive already upside down? I still haven't had time to crack my 360 open...

#12 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(Thr3e Sixty @ Mar 19 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post

Hmmm, How much is it total for like all the tools? For the Screw Drivers, Dremel, File, LED's.

i think i'll twist the LED's around insted.

Seriously, you shouldn't worry about tools. Your main concern should be experience. Start on something that you can easily get fixed or help with. Such as your personal computer.

Try out stuff on your computer. That way you don't have to jepordize your investment on a fragile piece of hardware.

But ya, tools are involved in that too. So see what basic items you have around to work with. Then buy general items that you need that you can use for more than just your 360.

Edited by Sloppy Fat Dump, 20 March 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#13 Okkkay

Okkkay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

is it possible to turn the hdd around to see the front? if you could that would be sweet to put a window in your hdd so you could see it!

#14 GSX

GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(XLostSpartanX @ Mar 19 2006, 10:06 AM) View Post

I did read, you can always take some more pictures, or if he couldnt do that then just EXPLAIN better. Im just saying it would help alot of people. And yes it was a good tut.

I will try to give a better example of how to trace the window. Hopefully tomorrow, if an mod is around to edit it.

QUOTE(KoRnitup @ Mar 19 2006, 02:40 PM) View Post

MY GOD that is some thick paint!!! I love how it gives the texture, but I'd hate how it will dent/scratch easier.

I know what you mean, at first it is fagile. But after it cures for 2 weeks, its hard as a rock.

QUOTE(Sloppy Fat Dump @ Mar 19 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

If you don't glue it, as said is possible, how are you going to prevent the plexi from just popping in the hole along with the hard drive?
Btw, mind sharing some tips for making those smooth straight cuts you've got?

If you dont want to glue it, then you will need a interference fit. In other words the window has to be a hair bigger then the hole you're mounting in, and you have to force it in. It will stay in place unless you start putting pressure on it. Now the key to get straight edges on the plexi, is to keep the file stationary and move the plexi across it.
IPB Image
like this

QUOTE(Thr3e Sixty @ Mar 19 2006, 05:14 PM) View Post

You see im 14 years old, so I dont reli have the right tools for stripping wires and soldering etc. And i wouldnt want to break the hdd.

You can pick up a soldering iron for $15 at radio shack, or any other store like it. Soldering is must to make proper led mods.

QUOTE(Arjun @ Mar 19 2006, 05:49 PM) View Post

Is the harddrive already upside down? I still haven't had time to crack my 360 open...

Yes the hdd is mounted upside down stock.

QUOTE(Okkkay @ Mar 19 2006, 09:27 PM) View Post

is it possible to turn the hdd around to see the front? if you could that would be sweet to put a window in your hdd so you could see it!

Well, it is possible, but you will have to push the hdd further back in the case. This is because the two pugs won't clear if you filp it. Also the stock screw holes won't align.

Edited by GSX, 20 March 2006 - 04:44 AM.

#15 t sizzles

t sizzles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:07 AM

Nice. Out of all of the modded 360s I've seen, yours is the coolest.

Edited by t sizzles, 10 April 2006 - 01:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users