4 replies to this topic

#1 Big Al

Big Al

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

I have a xbox that has a hard drive that's noisy and getting ready to die. I was thinking about replacing it with a notebook / laptop 2.5" hard drive just because it would quieter. I'll need an IDE adapter, which they sell on ebay for around $5, so that shouldn't be a problem; and I don't go on Live so locking the drive isn't necessary either. I've done some searching on the forums (as best as I could given the state of the search engine) and checked the tutorial sections, but couldn't find much of anything about this.

I assume it should work fine, but can someone confirm that this can be done?

The only thing that has me a little concerned is about how to mount the thing. They do sell 2.5" to 3.5" adpater rails, but looking at dimension it looks like they will be a little short to mate up to the existing holes in the hard disk carrier.

Thanks

#2 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

It will work just like any other hard drive. So long as it is at least 8GB, you'll be fine.

#3 JrracinFan8

JrracinFan8

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Possible, would work the same. As for mounting goes Not sure if laptop hard drives have screw holes in the bottom but you could always drill new holes to mount the hard drive. Never know it might even cut down on the heat issue inside the box as well.

#4 Big Al

Big Al

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

I picked up a laptop hard drive on ebay and will let you know how it turns out.

#5 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

I did this with a quiet (4200rpm with 8MB cache) Toshiba 2.5" HDD. I mailed them and asked if their drives were lockable (since it's an softmodded Xbox) and they told me that all their laptop HDD's can be locked. I got two brackets for mounting the 2.5" HDD into an 3.5" HDD position. The only thing I needed to do was sanding some small parts on the bottom near the edge of the Xbox HDD tray. It fit perfectly.

After that I cut the tray so a 80mm fan could replace the stock fan. Now it is an extremely quiet box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users