5 replies to this topic

#1 copper1212

copper1212

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yeah my Xbox work, lol.

Seriously though it sounds pretty f**ked up. It sounds like something within the middle area is trying to spin but it makes a grinding noise a couple times and then gives up. After that happens it makes a humming sound which is a bit different than usual, not strange just different. Anyone have a clue? I think im pretty much screwed.

#2 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

Turn on your xbox with your ear on the case and listen. If the sound is coming from the left side, then it is a DVD drive issue. If it is the right side, then it is the hard drive. It could also be a fan. Are you getting any sort of error code?

#3 copper1212

copper1212

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like it is coming from the right. The DVD-drive seems pretty normal. The only error code I get is that service your Xbox thing.

I gotta admit I know nothing about computers so would there be anything in a hard drive that would make clacking/grinding sounds? It sounds like its fighting to work but can't quite do it.

Edited by copper1212, 21 March 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#4 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

Sounds like the hard drive has crashed.

Unfortunately the only way to get this Xbox running again is to install a mod chip.

If you are that unfamilliar with computers you would be better off selling that one to someone here that can fix it and get you another one.

#5 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(copper1212 @ Mar 21 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

Sounds like it is coming from the right. The DVD-drive seems pretty normal. The only error code I get is that service your Xbox thing.

I gotta admit I know nothing about computers so would there be anything in a hard drive that would make clacking/grinding sounds? It sounds like its fighting to work but can't quite do it.

Probably the read/write head.
What error code do you get? 1hotjob is right about the HDD issue. If you have any friends that can fix Xboxes, then give it to one of them to fix. It's an easy fix if you have the right stuff (and only about $9 in parts). However, your gamesaves have gone away now sad.gif .

#6 copper1212

copper1212

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

Ah, thats too bad. I've had it for almost 5 years now so I guess I can't complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users