• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 malthus

malthus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:50 AM

I just installed a 120gb 7200rpm Maxtor drive and figured while I had it open, I'd install some other stuff too, like a fan under the hard drive (to help protect my investment) and a red HDD Activity LED. I followed the tutorials and put everything together and the light comes on but it rarely ever blinks. I can hear the drive "thinking" but the LED doesn't blink. Could this be because of the power drain of the fan? Could I possibly swap out the resistor for a different one to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:well guess you need to ask to find out
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:55 AM

hmm thats weird my led flashes pretty bright and i just added my little cpu fan under my hard drive a second ago are you useing a 1k or is it 10k ? i cant remember i think it was 10 yeah wink.gif

a 10k resistor is what you use to use the hdd activity mod and it should work fine unless you do have one in there maby your fan IS! to strong my fan says 12 VDC and its hooked up to my hard drive power source yet i dont think it would really make the light weaker blink.gif

#3 malthus

malthus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:23 AM

A 10K resistor? I'm using a 220 ohm resistor, like the tutorial said. But now after looking up the product number it seems it's different. The tutorial calls for a 1/2 watt resistor and I have 1/4 watt. Guess I should pay more attention. Tomorrow I'll head over to the shack and pick up some 1/2 watt and see if that does the trick. I'm glad to know that somebody else did both these mods and it works for them, that way I know I didn't drill that hole in the front of my case for no reason. wink.gif

#4 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:38 AM

were talking about the eject hdd activity mod right? with pin 39 on the bottom of the mother board? i have the link to this tutorial here somewhere and it called for a 10k resistor yes.....
knowing me and the sh ty radio shacks around here there were none so i just solderd together 10- 1k resistors and encased them in some heatshrink tubing then solderd it all under on the bottom of my mother board laugh.gif it looks crazy seeing 10!! 1k resistors on the bottom they almost reach from the pin 39 connection to the other point! jester.gif

it works fine tho il try and find the link to the tutorial im talking about ph34r.gif

#5 nachonut

nachonut

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:I install all mods for XBOX. You need it done, I can do it. PM me or email me nachonut@nyc.rr.com

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:43 AM

The resistor is just for what you use. Just use the formula to work out the resistor. I'm using 100 ohm resistors on my leds, just because they call for like 56ohm ones... using a different souce of current that what other people use will effect the brightness of your led. For me... 5v source, 3.3v leds with 30mA, so 100 is even more than I need... get what i'm trying to say?

#6 TMG8

TMG8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:14 AM

yeah i havnt seen the tutorial i used its been awhile but it called for such a large resistor due to the way its all hooked up

its a mod for the eject light so you dont have to add a extra LED to the outside of your xbox it just changes colors around your eject button

if your using a 5v LED stand alone just use a 100 ohm resistor that will work fine

laugh.gif 10k on one LED would be a waste... probably mess something up even

#7 TykSak

TykSak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Modding Electronic equipment, websites and stuff ;)
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:07 AM

sorry wrong post

Edited by TykSak, 29 April 2003 - 05:08 AM.

#8 malthus

malthus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (nachonut @ Apr 29 2003, 04:43 AM)
The resistor is just for what you use. Just use the formula to work out the resistor. I'm using 100 ohm resistors on my leds, just because they call for like 56ohm ones... using a different souce of current that what other people use will effect the brightness of your led. For me... 5v source, 3.3v leds with 30mA, so 100 is even more than I need... get what i'm trying to say?

Use the formula? What formula would that be?

#9 GuySmily

GuySmily

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:35 AM

Check this post out

http://forums.xbox-s...9086&hl=formula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users