• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 livinunder

livinunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

As the title says, I keep getting banned from XBL even though I'm using a purchased copy of Halo 2: Limited Edition. I made sure that my mod chip was turned off, yet I still get the message saying that my Xbox has been modified.

First of all, I would like to say that I do not cheat on XBL, nor do I try to play backups on it. I use the upgraded hdd to play games that I have so that I don't have to take the disks with me everywhere I go. When I play online, I use the original copies to play.

That said, is MS checking HDD sizes in order to ban people from XBL? If so, I guess I'm screwed since I no longer have the original Xbox hdd since it died. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since I have already gone through changing the EEPROM 3 times to try and fix this issue. My next option is to try and resolder a known working EEPROM chip in place of my current one and see if it works.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

#2 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(livinunder @ Mar 24 2006, 08:45 AM) View Post

That said, is MS checking HDD sizes in order to ban people from XBL?
MS couples the EEPROM of your Xbox to your HDD the first time you come on-line. If one of the two changes, it's an instant ban. The only way a bigger HDD could work is by modding a new Xbox with it before it ever comes online on Live.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated since I have already gone through changing the EEPROM 3 times to try and fix this issue. My next option is to try and resolder a known working EEPROM chip in place of my current one and see if it works.
That won't work. Get a new unused (official!) EEPROM or buy a new Xbox, maybe for Live-only use.

By the way, wrong forum. wink.gif

#3 livinunder

livinunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

I do have an unused (online that is) EEPROM chip from my old motherboard that died. I had to do a swap trick in order to unlock the hdd back then. Would this mean that I would have to start a new xbox Live account?

Sorry about being in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this was a Halo 2 only problem as I've only noticed it with Halo 2.

#4 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

[quote name='livinunder' date='Mar 24 2006, 09:18 AM' post='3317534']
I do have an unused (online that is) EEPROM chip from my old motherboard that died. I had to do a swap trick in order to unlock the hdd back then.

[quote]Would this mean that I would have to start a new xbox Live account?[/quote]I think you will need a new Gamertag, but it would be better if you would read this and [urlhttp://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=436434]this/[url].

Be careful with it. Make sure that your old motherboard is the same version as your new one.

[quote]Sorry about being in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this was a Halo 2 only problem as I've only noticed it with Halo 2.
[/quote]It's a Live-related problem.

#5 livinunder

livinunder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it.

Later,

Paul

#6 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Mar 24 2006, 02:02 AM) View Post

MS couples the EEPROM of your Xbox to your HDD the first time you come on-line. If one of the two changes, it's an instant ban. The only way a bigger HDD could work is by modding a new Xbox with it before it ever comes online on Live.

If you (after being on live) swap the EEPROM as well as the HDD (a new, virgin stock or upgraded) after modding before going on Live, you are fine.

You could keep your current Xbox and swap out the HDD and EEPROM for two virgin ones. However, your current XBL account may be tagged and a scan MIGHT be done on the HDD for unsigned .xbe's (I have heard some people say that M$ does this and some that say they don't).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users