Emperor Awesome

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Doin' it like a rockstar.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:34 AM

I just upgraded my HDD to a WD 120. When the box boots for the first time after awhile of inactivity, it's around 46 degrees celsius. As it idles it gradually rises to the mid-fifties. I tried running it with the top of the case off, but it still get well over 50 degrees. Once that happens it will still run, but if I power it off the chip won't start up until the HDD is under 50 degrees. At first I thought it was my xapter losing it's contacts, which has happened frequently in the past, but after several experiments I've found it linked to the temperature.

My X2 says the fan is set to run at 20% capacity. Would raising that to maybe 50% be okay for hours and hours of running? I just want to get the heat out of there. I don't even know why the thing is so finicky. My hard discs in my computer are fine up to almost 80 degrees before the system will shut down. What the eff can I do?

#2 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

Yes, its okay to run the fan at 50% for hours on end. I chipped mine with a 300gb wd about a year ago, and set the fan to 50%. Been up and running for over a year now with no probs, although the noise can be annoying, especially when watching a quiet movie. Been thinking about putting a better fan in. You may want to look at doing that if the noise is gonna annoy you. Otherwise, go for it.

Obviously running the fan at a much higher speed will somewhat decrease the life of the fan, but it doesnt bother me, cause then I'll have to put a better fan in. Might just give me the motivation. I'm sure you probably know this, but the xbox will shut down if it gets too hot, or the fan fails, so there's no need to worry about your xbox getting fried if your fan fails (although hard drives are a different story).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users