Itcouldbeyou

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

Perhaps you have seen this before, but I didn't find it.
I saw this GDC PS3 Gameplay Montage and at about 2:40 there is a short clib from something looking like a Linux Desktop with a video playing. It is subbed with "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."
Anyone heard about it?
Here is a shot I made.
IPB Image
They had a linux kit on PS2, so there is a chance. But I doubt they are opening the whole Cell Chip to Linux, perhaps only the PPC core or the core and just some SPUs, as It would make a great and cheap number crunsher.

#2 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Yer cool Linux would be awesome on it for programs like folding@home. I wish 3DStudioMax & Maya could render on Linux! Imagine that Cell CPU rendering 3D stuff biggrin.gif.

#3 gonkle

gonkle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

i would say the key to success is legal homebrew software on the native system, not trough linux,
Im a 100% Linux user, but sitting in front of the TV with Keybooard and Mouse doesnt rock.
Look at the xbox1 homebrew, I dont think if they run through linux they would had such a big success.

#4 calderra

calderra

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

*insert shrug*

Sony, last generation, paraphrasing: "Consoles and computers should remain seperate."

Anyone else remember how much crap Sony gave MS for each and every little hint of multimedia capability the Xbox had last generation? Especially ALL of the bashing over how the Xbox was too close to a computer? You don't even need to flame them- just hold them to their own quotes. Some more, for those who haven't seen them:

"A great, worldwide launch is impossible."
-On the 360's launch, but PS3 will have a worldwide launch

"Small differences in power don't matter- only the games matter."
-But you see them lording over the 360's stats now, dontcha?

"No one wants a system that large / expensive / untested"
-PS3 will be larger, more expensive, and use more experimental technology than the Xbox (experimental meaning Cell and BluRay over even the 360's rather standard-by-comparison hardware).

blink.gif
Have I gone totally mad, or is Sony basically doing EXACTLY the opposite of everything they promised last gen?

#5 Neilinator99

Neilinator99

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

linux is a operating system which means sony will limit what you can and cant do with it you wont. In other terms it will just be a regular dashboard that has a wee bit of depth.... so you wont be seeiing dashboards like that picture.

#6 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:15 AM

LINUX SUCKS BIGTIME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users