Photo

How Do You Make Custom Menu Screen With A Video Background?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Manabyte

Manabyte

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

The skin tutorials are really vague about this. I made a skin of all video (video intro, video background, and video loading screen) using UnleashX- Video-Skin Creator v2.0. When it asked for a background image, I used a random jpeg that never shows up anywhere. The actual menu style is a small scrolling menu in the center of the screen at the bottom that cuts off the sides of long selections. I'd like to move it to the side of the screen in the center and NOT cut off any part of the selections. And I'd like to change the font. And I'd also like to remove all thumbnials. Help? I dont know how to do any of this since my background is a video.

#2 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

Just open up the skin.xml file in a text editor like notepad and look at it and change it all the items will have a a heap of things like width height top left that you can modify save and ftp back over

#3 Manabyte

Manabyte

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

I figured as much, but it's obviously tough to guess by changing attributes blindly on notepad. Is there a way to load the skin.xml in a program with a graphical interfact (kinda like MS Paint or Photoshop) when I can manually add text, move it, import other illustrations, etc? How do other people configure that when they have a video background? They must be using some program to change the menu interface.

#4 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

The way I useally do these things is to open up a screen shot of the video in photoshop or any other program that shows you the current x,y coords of the mouse in the image and use that so see where I want it. (just make sure the image is 640x480 in size)
That said the skin will be in 640x480 pixels big so its pretty easy to pick some numbers that fit. even more so if your video dosn't have set bounds on where to put the text

Oh and I'm moving this to the skinning subforum

#5 Manabyte

Manabyte

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

I really appreciate the help Jezz and not being flamed by a moderator for being a newb at this. This particular forum is full of helpful and considerate people, especially the moderators. Thanks! Anyways, how do I load a .wmv file in photoshop? It's a picture editor, not a video editor. Even if I were to load one frame (and I have no idea how to do that), I suppose I could at least find the corridiates of where I want my text. But there has to be an easier way. I have an intro.wmv, a loading.wmv, and a background.wmv. I also have a .jpg in there that I dont know what it does. It's a screenshot, but I don't see that image anywhere whatsoever in the skin. Since it's video, I assume I obviosly can't edit the background. All I care about is the placement, font, and size of the menu text. I know that can all be done by manually editing the skin.xml but as I said, it's really difficult to do blindly. Isn't there a program that I can use that loads the skin.xml and let's you move the text and edit it's properties, save it, and it'll be all changed in the .xml so I'm not doing it manually with notepad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users