21 replies to this topic

#1 Hannard

Hannard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

Given that MS's own BC list doesn't go into any detail about how well the games run and so forth, I thought I'd knock up a site of my own, giving gamers the chance to rate how well X-Box 1 games run on the 360. I've also listed some of the known issues - some from MS's website, some I've run into. There's also a forum to put specific issues up on, which will be added to the list if enough people to confirm them. The site's up at http://www.godhatesfrags.com/bc360 for anyone who's interested.

#2 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

Nice...I like it.

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

great idea.. I just went and voted on the games that I've tried.

However I'd recommend getting rid of the frames... frames = the devil

Also it might be nice to have a comment section or maybe separate voting for multiplayer and single player

For instance Halo 2 is known to have great single play compatibility but slightly glitchy multiplayer.

Alternatively Splinter-cell is known to have pretty good multiplayer compatibility but I can't even get it to load the first level of single player at all.

Comments would allow people to explain why they rated the game the way they did.

Good job overall, its nice to see people see a need for something and act on it beerchug.gif

I'd recomend submitting this to the XS news page, if you get good coverage you'll get a lot of useful data.

#4 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

frames arent that bad, just clean them up a bit, starting with " border="0" " and have a set size for them

#5 Hannard

Hannard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 28 2006, 11:04 PM) View Post

great idea.. I just went and voted on the games that I've tried.

However I'd recommend getting rid of the frames... frames = the devil

Also it might be nice to have a comment section or maybe separate voting for multiplayer and single player

For instance Halo 2 is known to have great single play compatibility but slightly glitchy multiplayer.

Alternatively Splinter-cell is known to have pretty good multiplayer compatibility but I can't even get it to load the first level of single player at all.

Comments would allow people to explain why they rated the game the way they did.
Good job overall, its nice to see people see a need for something and act on it beerchug.gif

I'd recomend submitting this to the XS news page, if you get good coverage you'll get a lot of useful data.

I did consider having a comments section, but I decided what I'll do instead is let people post in the forums on the site and add problems manually if a problem's confirmed by a couple of people.

As for frames.. the devil? Surely you mean 'flash'?

QUOTE(yaazz @ Mar 28 2006, 11:09 PM) View Post

frames arent that bad, just clean them up a bit, starting with " border="0" " and have a set size for them

I've set the top one to 15% to 85% when I designed the site. I might set the borders to 0 but I'm reluctant to set sizes because I can't assume everyone's looking at in the same resolution.

Edited by Hannard, 28 March 2006 - 11:16 PM.

#6 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

Although I'd rather play Xbox games on my Xbox, you did an excellent job, man. smile.gif

I agree with ts: this is definitely frontpage newsworthy.

#7 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

I think it's kind of a dumb idea. I mean, it's good on paper, but when it comes down to it, once MS starts patching the capatiblity list, that list will mean nothing. As times goes on, some games that have problems now, will start working perfectly, then games that work perfectly know may have problems in the future.

It would be a great idea if it was known that MS isn't just going to update their list for a very long time. But the fact is, an update can happen any day, so that list will just have to be complete thrown away, then started from scratch. Then if they update again... repeat the process. It's pointless.

Edited by Marrvia, 29 March 2006 - 12:21 AM.

#8 Lizard King

Lizard King

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:03 AM

I think it's kind of a dumb idea...

You are basing this on the assumption that updates will be frequent and MS adding games left and right. So far they've had what MS calls 2 updates. The HD came with profiles for Halo and Halo2, and the first update (early November) was something like 200+ games, the second update (early December) took a few away and added The Tom Clancy Games. MS claims there was a February update apparently, but there was not one. Since December they've been footnoting problems and removing games in a very sneaky fashion. There have not been updates, and MS's list isn't confidence inspiring enough to use for purchasing or even renting games. Since MS claims these games were hand tested, that means that it's just merketing bunk, and that the matter of quality of gamplay cannot be trusted to their list. Hence this list.

But the fact is, an update can happen any day

I've given up hope on BC. I'm pretty certain we won't see 100 games added to the list before year's end. It's a shame. They still use this as a marketing feature, and it's just so bad on so many games.

This list will certainly be usable for a select few; maybe even myself. I'm off to go rate my collection.

Edited by Lizard King, 29 March 2006 - 03:04 AM.

#9 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

Must have been a pain in the butt to put that list together

#10 Hannard

Hannard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Mar 29 2006, 12:26 AM) View Post

I think it's kind of a dumb idea. I mean, it's good on paper, but when it comes down to it, once MS starts patching the capatiblity list, that list will mean nothing. As times goes on, some games that have problems now, will start working perfectly, then games that work perfectly know may have problems in the future.

It would be a great idea if it was known that MS isn't just going to update their list for a very long time. But the fact is, an update can happen any day, so that list will just have to be complete thrown away, then started from scratch. Then if they update again... repeat the process. It's pointless.

Not from scratch - the code for the rating system has a control panel which lets me wipe the ratings for any game. And as another poster mentions, MS have been pretty backwards (oh-ho!) in coming forwards with updates. I wonder if they've abanded it all together.

Edited by Hannard, 29 March 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Mar 28 2006, 06:26 PM) View Post

The solution is simple... you wipe the database with every new BC update... considering it's been MONTHS since we've had one there'd be plenty of time for data to get collected.

Alternativly you could set which update you're working from so the database mapps the raiting to the update version.

#12 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Mar 28 2006, 03:26 PM) View Post

LOL! What karma that they would update the list the very next day after I said this.

#13 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

I don't think a 3-new-games "update" defends your statement though. You were still pretty rude to Chris for no reason. This site serves a purpose, and many people would get something out of this. That is a good website in my eyes. Has a purpose/goal, it succeeds in performing that goal, and people have a need for it and can use it.

#14 Marrvia

Marrvia

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 29 2006, 08:30 PM) View Post

I don't think a 3-new-games "update" defends your statement though. You were still pretty rude to Chris for no reason. This site serves a purpose, and many people would get something out of this. That is a good website in my eyes. Has a purpose/goal, it succeeds in performing that goal, and people have a need for it and can use it.

It's not my intent to come off rude, and I am sorry if I am, but I'm just saying, it doesn't really make much sense to me because the list will be updated at any time without notice and it can potentially effect every single game on that list. So you can never really keep the list up-to-date completely because, for example, say this patch they just released today makes Ninja Gaiden work flawlessly, they could release a patch a month from now that fixes another game, but causes a problem in Ninja Gaiden. Then they can release a new patch a week later fixing Ninja Gaiden but causing a problem to several other games. Now multiply that by 200+(for the amount of games on the list). There is always potential for games to be screwed up by mistake with these updates. The only way to every get that list truely up to date is to play every single game on the list all the way through after every single update.

It's kind of like why you don't see these kind of lists for NES or SNES, etc. emulators for computers.

BTW, that update didn't just add 3 new games, it also fixed some problems with 13 others.(but possibly created problems other ones).

Edited by Marrvia, 30 March 2006 - 05:51 AM.

#15 Hannard

Hannard

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Mar 30 2006, 04:46 AM) View Post

LOL! What karma that they would update the list the very next day after I said this.

Actually, I'm glad the list was updated. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is one of the games I play the most. Though I'm still disappointed there weren't more games there. They say that 'they'll continue to work on the most requested games' but I hope slightly less mainstream games such as Silent Hill 2 will get a look in.

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Mar 30 2006, 05:56 AM) View Post

Now multiply that by 200+(for the amount of games on the list). There is always potential for games to be screwed up by mistake with these updates. The only way to every get that list truely up to date is to play every single game on the list all the way through after every single update.

It's kind of like why you don't see these kind of lists for NES or SNES, etc. emulators for computers.

BTW, that update didn't just add 3 new games, it also fixed some problems with 13 others.(but possibly created problems other ones).

As for the list itself, I've cleared the ratings for the games in question, so people can revote, preferably once theyve got the new update. And whenever any games are updated, I'll likely wipe the ratings for the games in question. I'm hoping MS will have had the sense not to release updates that break other games after the whole Halo 2 thing. But if they do, and anyone on the board mentions it, I'll add a side-note on the list. Anyway, MS relealised their mistake with the Halo 2 / Tom Clancy update and fixed it quickly.

Edited by Hannard, 30 March 2006 - 09:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users