Photo

Are There Risks In Leaving The Xbox On 24x7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 s134

s134

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

With a larger HD installed and the benefit of XBMC i decided i want to turn my xbox to a media centre/server. (oh and a gaming machine too smile.gif)
As a server i would like to keep it constantly on.
Is it safe?
I mean the xbox is somewhat a pc and they don't have much problem being always on, but then again - its not entirely a pc...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 macatticus

macatticus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

The only problem me and my friends have with leaving the xboxs on all the time is a common problem... cablebunchupinamessatosis. That is, somehow, no matter what circumstances, the cables find their way to tangle with other cables. Ultimately making one massive ball of cables that could take hours to untangle. Other than that, I've experienced no harm on my old xboxs from leaving it on for weeks.

#3 s134

s134

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

Sweet!
Cablebunchupinamessatosis is something my PC usally suffers from. The machine is in the living room and we don't annoy it too much so its quiet.
plus on time i showed up with a hammer and some nails and since then the cables are afraid to move smile.gif

#4 leorimolo

leorimolo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

Make sure it sustains a good temp and put it somewhere it wont bother you(SOUND!!). The guy from gentoox has it in his kitchen.

#5 StevenW

StevenW

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:30 AM

As long as it is has agood temp. it should be fine.

I have heard of people that use their xbox as a server and have let it run for weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users