6 replies to this topic

#1 ruddyrum

ruddyrum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Ok, so i want an xbox 360 but will probably wait for a decent modchip before i take the plunge! However, this does not stop me from investing in a HDTV tongue.gif

I have done my market research, and have found a few HDTV's which i like (and can afford) but one qustion remains: what connections should i be looking for on the HDTV? I have seen various pics of a few connections, but would like to know what thes High Def connections/plugs are called

I have had a look around and people mention a possible DVI & optical connecion, or even a HDMI if demand is there... what is the liklehood of this? surely 3rd partys will make XB360 connections If MS don't!

Question may be a bit stupid, but i just wanted some answers before i go fork out all that money on a TV that wont benifit from all of the 360's features!

#2 JustDanMI

JustDanMI

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:outdoors and gaming
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, you basically have it, DVI and HDMI, but that's just because of the HD-DVD or Blue Ray. With either of those you need HDMI in order to transfer a video signal from it's source to it's destination withought changing to analog along the way. BUT......if I do recall correctly, not all HDMI connections are compatiable for that. You might want to look into that aspect to find out more on that.

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

you can start by researching the correct forum to post this in tongue.gif

Moving to AV chat...

#4 ruddyrum

ruddyrum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the hasty response... i am still somewhat confused though!

The connections i have been seeing do not seem to have DVI... they consist of 6 composite plugs...the TV's i have been looking at dont support that many, only 3 (red white and yellow) some XB360 AV cables also include a VGA connection, but from what i've gathered that is not the HDTV cable

#5 JustDanMI

JustDanMI

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:outdoors and gaming
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

HDMI is completly different. Read this:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=408961

#6 ruddyrum

ruddyrum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Found what i was looking for... xbox360 uses component connections to display HDTV! (red, green, blue etc)

#7 GSX

GSX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Apr 4 2006, 06:03 PM) View Post

HDMI is completly different. Read this:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=408961

DVI and HDMI are the same(backwards compatible for video). The only difference is that HDMI also supports digital audio over the same cable.

Now to answer your question, you need HDMI with HDCP. If your tv has that, then it will have all other connections you need.

Edited by GSX, 07 April 2006 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users