Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

What in the holy hell is this shit?!

I found an oblivion gate between Skingrad and Anvil. It's near Shardrock. I go in there to close the gate. I'm doing fine then I find a door that leads to the Nether Tunnels. I enter. I exit on the other side (after going through a few caves) back to the main oblivion wastes area, and I come to find another entrance to the Nether Tunnels. I enter and I approach a cave with a hole in the floor. I drop down, and I continue through the caves. All this time, I've been battling monsters. So I fill up my health and save my game (as I've been doing for the past 20 hours). I come to a cave/room called "Mire of Ash." Upon reaching the exit door, I press A to open it, but it displays this message:

This door leads nowhere.

Unlike the other doors in this oblivion plane, the oblivion symbol/rune isn't lit red like the others. I try again to open the door without success. I reload my last save and I get to that door again. Same message. What. The. Fuck?

I know to fear the worst at this point because I saved in these Nether Tunnels. I get back to the cave/room that has the hole from which I dropped down. There's no way I can make that jump. I tried and tried. My acrobatics skill went up a few times, but there's seemingly no change in the height I can jump. I dropped everything in my inventory with false hopes that my character could make the jump. Nil. Motherfucking bitch! grr.gif

Why would the developers place a door that isn't openable? It's either that they didn't finish testing the game and missed this bug, or that they want you to be able to jump out of that hole after days of mashing the jump button to build up your acrobatics skill to superhuman levels (if this is even possible).

I wouldn't be so upset if it was a glitch, but it seems intentional on their part because that specific message is displayed. Fuckin' 20 hours gone. This is one of those times that makes me want to strangle those cocksucking game developers. I'm sure some of you have clocked in over 100 hours in the game, but since I don't have as much free time as I'd like to play this game, I feel no desire to start from the goddamn beginning again. I only play an hour or so a day.

I tried fast travelling with no success. I even went to ebgames to read the guide in the store (I refuse to buy it). The only thing it says is that "Mire of Ash" is one of the caves in random oblivion planes. It doesn't tell of any holes in the floor or glitches/dangers that the player should be aware of.

I forgot to mention: In the first Nether Tunnels that I entered and exited successfully, I also went through a hole in the floor. The only difference is that I was able to open the exit door.

I'm not going to delete my gamesave. I hope someone will be able to help me out of my hole. sleep.gif

#2 Greenpants200

Greenpants200

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Could be a glitch man, who knows. In the 10 person tournament you have to do for Boethius (http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=501537) the gates have to open automatically. But I "waited" while he was talking and the gates wouldnt open, and I was stuck there. Luckily I had a previous save.

#3 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

you saved over the same save file over and over? Ive got 62 that I go back and forth with, overwriting like a madman so if anything shitty happens, I wont lose but a few minutes at most.

use this persons bad experience as a lesson people, you have a hdd, use it.

back on topic, thats odd and the only time Ive seen that message is when im near the boundaries of the game and cyrodill ends.

#4 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

62 saves is ridiculous. I've never needed more than one for any game. I even switched off the stupid autosave feature. I didn't blindly jump in and save after dropping down that second hole in the ground. I tested the waters with the first Netherland Tunnels hole in the ground. I went through to the exit without saving my game without a problem. Since the first NT hole didn't lead me into a dead end, I had no reason to think the second one would. Once I killed off the enemies in that room, I healed my character and saved before proceeding into the next room.

This was one of those instances where, not five minutes after trawling through a nearly identical area without a problem, one unforeseen glitch ruins the experience. I wish those assholes would have tested the game more thoroughly before releasing it. This glitch has really soured my experience with this game.

As far as that boundary thing goes, this happened on land far from the borders of the world map.

#5 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

sorry, a few seconds of saving a NEW file even every hour would have saved you from the ulcers youre now experiencing. on a side note, I disabled all auto saves the day I got it.

Im on Save 900 something by the way smile.gif I'll go and be silly some more

and let me add I dont need the 60 some I have sitting there, atleast 50 of those are for when people come over so I can load it up and show them something cool within the game. I use maybe 5 slots and rotate incase I run into a bug just as you did. Good example, before I approach every shrine, I save incase it locks up on me like the Clavicus one does. Im stuck with Umbras sword(not such a bad thing) because wether I click Yes or No, it locks up.

Im not about to lose all my 120 some hours worth because I couldnt take 3 seconds to save a new file.

Edited by Deftech, 05 April 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#6 JustDanMI

JustDanMI

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:outdoors and gaming

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

I keep my autosave on and use only one save that I constantly overwrite. BUT, I also have 1 save right before you exit the dungeons in the beginning, before it asks if you want to change anything about your character, just in case I want to try a new character without having to fight through the dungeon again. And I also keep a spare save in questionable area's. Like I have one at the arena where I'm ready to fight the last guy, but I wanted to do his quest before I fought him, so I saved it there just in case I lost the ability to become the ultimate champion in the arena while I was off running around doing his quest.

#7 brutalresolution20

brutalresolution20

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />Xbox 360
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

you think 62 is alot? i have around 300 to 310 saves...so i never lose my progress incase it freezes or i get a glitch...

#8 Rubix42

Rubix42

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

So the door won't open and you cannot make the jump out. Are there any other side tunnels you're missing, or another exit you might be missing? Have you unclouded every last inch of map in that god forsaken dungeon?

Also, 62 is a ton of saves, I only use 2. One that I use when I finish quests, and one that I use during quests.

You are always safe from unseen forces that way. . .

#9 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(brutalresolution20 @ Apr 5 2006, 03:16 PM) View Post

you think 62 is alot? i have around 300 to 310 saves...so i never lose my progress incase it freezes or i get a glitch...

you save to a new spot every time?

I have over 900 saves but 62 slots are being used.

#10 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Rubix42 @ Apr 5 2006, 04:22 PM) View Post
Have you unclouded every last inch of map in that god forsaken dungeon?

Also, 62 is a ton of saves, I only use 2. One that I use when I finish quests, and one that I use during quests.

You are always safe from unseen forces that way. . .
LOL, I've been like Sherlock Holmes in that damn cave.

Alas, the motherfucker decided to work. blink.gif I don't know how. I was at the unopenable door mashing the A button. It kept displaying that stupid message except at one point it made that door opening click sound, and the loading screen came up. I exited out another part of the oblivion wastes area. I saved. LOL Then I went all the way around to revisit the area I was stuck in from the original door I entered. I dropped through the hole, travelled through the caves, and exited without a problem to the other side.

Who knows how many more stupid little glitches there are in this game? I'm just glad I'm out of there now.

Rubix42, I'm going to take your advice about using a couple saves. That's a good idea, man. smile.gif

#11 brutalresolution20

brutalresolution20

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />Xbox 360

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

yea ive lost 3 of my characters because of glitches so...i have a new character and save every 10 seconds so i dont lose more than 3 seconds if something happens...lol

#12 Web71

Web71

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

I know this thread started/finished over a year ago, but thought i'd try a post in case someone sees it - I'm in the SAME situation and the button mashing solution gave me such hope (so far not working though)... I have 80hrs invested into the game and am stuck in this hole with a door to nowhere - no way I'm going to start from scratch which sucks since I really like the game and have so much left. How long did you sit there hitting the A button to open it? Anyone else find a way out of it? I've defintitely learned the value of the alternating saves thing (both my one save and autosave are on this stupid level) but really really need to get through that door or out of this level. HELP!

#13 XenosthePwn

XenosthePwn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

First of all I'm stuck in the damn cave. Second of all the posts I had to read with amount of saves you have were useless to me and took more time out of me finding the exit to this godforsaken cave. If I could get an answer to this hell I'm going through I would very much appreciate it. Until then I have no answer for this myself and I really really REALLY wanna keep this character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users