spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:31 PM

I see many many posting from gamers that have made a so called slim box, only to find most are nothing more than a cut down stock case. No before anyone starts up, I am not flaming or dissing any of the hard work that goes on. All the slim boxes I have seen are nearly as big "displacement" wise as a stock box. Who has actually made the smallest box - width, height and depth (PSU inside)??

My "XCase" is on hold at the moment as I can't afford a decent enough VGA TFT for the front. The purpose of the system has changed so much so that it is no longer a games machine but a media only centre.

So I have started working on a "small" box for easy transportation, know what I want to do, but would like to know how small it has to be to be amongst the smallest.

Edited by spillage, 05 April 2006 - 04:33 PM.

#2 Maertz

Maertz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

i believe eminvil (think thats right) has the smallest and its some great work.

#3 Xboxplaya978

Xboxplaya978

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Fishing, Metal music, destruction.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

I saw one smaller then eminvil, it was like the one that Llamma sells except it wasnt powerd by DC, it was a regular xbox. eminvil's xbox isnt really that small, its not as deep or wide, not short. Now, If someone could make one as deep and wide as eminvil's and as short as Llamma's, that would be cool.

#4 poo87

poo87

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Cutting, sanding, painting, lighting, anything I can get my hands on to. Oh yea, I play bass too.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

eminvil had to put his power supply ontop of the motherboard just to get it that small. If you made it shorter I don't think there would be a way to include the power supply in the case. The only thing I think could work is if you found a way to angle the MB inside the case and put the PSU on one side and a slim HDD on the other. Some thing like this:

IPB Image

(^nothing is to scale, its just to show how it might work^)

#5 raceboy404

raceboy404

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

i am making a short one, probly the shortes i know of, the faceplate is cut so short, the Eject button was cut off. and the top is just a sheet of plexi

i had to redo parts of the power supply with one of my electroinic friends.
and i ordered new heatsinks

i am going to fill up the remaining space with laptop fans (slim 40mm)
just have to find a plave that has them 4 a decent price

sata hard drive (of coruse)
but the tiny ass ones that are like 20 gigs
(simaler to the 360's)
it will be a show stoper happy.gif

#6 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I hit a pretty small record, not sure if it was the smallest. I used the original size harddrive mounted where the DVD drive goes. All the capacitors on the motherboard were relocated. The power supply had all of its capacitors relocated to about 9 inches away. The PSU was placed horizontal, roughly where you plug in the controller ports on the motherboard. All the capacitors and big coils and all those ugly stuff were insulated and stuffed between the heatsinks and harddrive. It's kind of hard. But the dimensions were the width and length of a motherboard, and the height of a motherboard and a standard 3.5" harddrive. Just add 1.4" plexi to each side. I forget the measurements..I need to figure out who I sold it to and see if they can take pics. But overall it was damn small (perfect rectangle), and even had two wireless controllers built into it.

EDIT: Referring to raceboy404: "sata hard drive (of coruse)", what you smoking buddy?

Edited by Arjun, 05 April 2006 - 10:27 PM.

#7 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

Pics, arjun?

I know adeon had a thin one. It was a DirecTV case I think. Not the smallest, but looked to be about the height of the heatsink.

#8 poo87

poo87

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Cutting, sanding, painting, lighting, anything I can get my hands on to. Oh yea, I play bass too.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

arjun, how could you make something that badass and forget to take pics? I want to see it sad.gif .

#9 speed_racer88

speed_racer88

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy shredding the gnar, hangin' with my bros and long walks on the beach.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(Xboxplaya978 @ Apr 5 2006, 01:56 PM) View Post

I saw one smaller then eminvil, it was like the one that Llamma sells except it wasnt powerd by DC, it was a regular xbox. eminvil's xbox isnt really that small, its not as deep or wide, not short. Now, If someone could make one as deep and wide as eminvil's and as short as Llamma's, that would be cool.

eminvil's xbox is actually very small, you must have not seen the picture of it beside a regular xbox.

#10 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

I have an ultra small xbox, that I'm working on, but because of money, I cant do much more, until I get more money.

I'm getting a job that pays 14$ an hour soon, so hopefully I'll be able to put some more work into it. Hopefully I'll have an update in a month or so, but for now its kind of stuck, staring at me, when I'm dying to work on it and finish it.

#11 Elusid

Elusid

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:31 AM

Well you could make a really really small case if you did the following.
1. Replaced the origonal Xbox HDD with a laptop drive
2. Installed a mod chip so you can have the games on the HDD
3. Took out the optical drive

What you could do is have a big laptop hard drive that has an adaptor to IDE so you can plug it in. The mod chip would let you not only back up the games on the hard drive but also let you do an FTP connection to your comp. Because of this FTP connection you wouldn't need the optical drive because you can just copy the games that you want to play through FTP. I think that this would let you slim your case down A LOT. I think I might try it with an older Xbox that I can get...

EDIT: Wow yea that was all really bad English but I don't want to go fix it... tongue.gif

#12 digitalmax

digitalmax

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:17 AM

this is mine im still working on it but the only change i might do is dropp the contoller ports lower givves it more of the lowered look but it works fine IPB Image

#13 tikidrummer

tikidrummer

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:drums, xbox, modding , computers, music, and hacking

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:23 AM

i saw one that was really smal but i for get who did it. i know mine is not anywhere close to being the smallest. would like to see one that had to have a new motherboard made for it but that would about be impossible unless your just an excellent hardware modder. it's between eminvils an arjun. maybe raceboy404 will have the smallest after he is done.

i hope to see something like a slim box made with a 360 after modchips come out.

#14 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:32 AM

Me and adeon's I think are the smallest. Smaller then eminevil's by about an half inch in all dimensions. 8x2x12 exactly. We used a directv case d1-200.

There's a link in my sig.

#15 adeon

adeon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:what ever catches my eye
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

ph34r.gif