#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:28 AM

xUbuntu v0.9.0 - Ubuntu Linux Distro for Xbox-- Posted by XanTium on April 6 01:28 EST
In fact this new distro has been uploaded to the Xbox-Linux SourceForge site several weeks ago, but the launch went totally unannounced so I didn't notice it until now. Beter late than never ... so here are some details I found about this new linux distro port for your Xbox:

* What is xUbuntu?
xUbuntu is an PC-/Xbox-enabled version of Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution. xUbuntu is not a stand-alone, independent distribution. However the install process - and naturally the bootloader, the kernel and the kernel modules - are all customized for PC and Xbox (i386).
The actual release of "xUbuntu" linux system LiveCD is based on sources of Ubuntu "Breezy Badgar, Version 5.10" and some packages of Debian "Sarge 3.1".
There is no relationship between "xUbuntu" linux and "Xubuntu" or "XUbuntu" linux system (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu) developed from MOTU Xfce team.

* LiveCD
"xUbuntu" Live-CD boots on hardware of PC (i386) and Xbox (Intel Pentium III 700 MHz, 64 MB RAM). The live system itself does not require any space on your hard disk. But only for Xbox, there is a SWAP-file inside partition Z to force perfomance.
- "xUbuntu" linux system is a lightweight system with the desktop interface "Xfce4".
- "xUbuntu" linux system is lightweight alternative for systems with lower memory configurations.
- "xUbuntu" Live-CD (initialize release) is a dual Boot-CD for PC and Xbox (i386).
- "xUbuntu" linux run with a customized kernel 2.6.12-9-386-cd on normal PCs and with a customized kernel 2.4.31-xbox on a modified Xbox.
- Optionally you can install "xUbuntu linux system on a hard disk of PC and/or Xbox.

* "xUbuntu" GNU/Linux for PC and Xbox
The base system of "xUbuntu" linux system is a base linux system of GNU/Linux Ubuntu distribution ("Breezy Badgar, Version 5.10") with kernel 2.6.X (udev) and without a graphical environment.
As the base system run on PC, the base system was ported to the hardware of a modified Xbox. Therefore, it was necessary to downgrade the kernel and the kernel environment from 2.6.X to 2.4.X. Furthermore the graphical environment was added to the base linux system (x-window-system "xorg" and desktop "Xfce4" environment) and some "Xfce4" / "Gnome" applications. You can run Gnome applications, because desktop "Xfce4" environment provides the possibility to initialize Gnome base system at start-up.
As the linux system run on Xbox, the linux system was re-adapted to PC-hardware with a customized kernel 2.6.12-9-386-cd. The customized kernel 2.6.12-9-386-cd boots up on PC from LiveCD and from hard disk.
"xUbuntu" GNU/Linux for PC and Xbox was born.
The "xUbuntu" linux system LiveCD provides a working solution for PC and Xbox by dual booting.

* Memory configuration (RAM/SWAP size) on PC and Xbox
Live-CD uses only hardware RAM. A linux system installed on hard disk uses RAM and SWAP.
Normally, there are 256 MB RAM or 512 MB RAM inside the hardware of PC. But, there are only 64 MB RAM available inside the hardware of Xbox. Some software applications need a size of 128 MB RAM or 256 MB RAM to start. For example the Web browser "Mozilla Firefox" needs a minimum size of 128 MB RAM to run. If you want to see Video you need a minimum size of 256 MB RAM.
The Live-CD will freeze on Xbox (64 MB RAM), if you run "Mozilla Firefox" on it without an additional SWAP-File.
The hardware RAM size can be extended by adding a SWAP-partition/SWAP-file.
So, there is a SWAP-File inside partition Z of Xbox (only for Xbox) after the LiveCD is started.
If you install "xUbuntu" Linux inside hard disk choose a suitable SWAP size ofswap-partition/swap-file.

Official Site: http://www.xbox-linux.org
Download: here

#2 JrracinFan8

JrracinFan8

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

I am going to test this version to see if it fixes overscan on 1.6 (probably doesnt tho). Will post with results.

#3 jm2u

jm2u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

xpad drivers seem to fail on all my original controllers. sad.gif

#4 clogicgmather

clogicgmather

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Embedded systems/Programming,Games consoles,Biking & surfing. Running music events in Bristol UK
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

wicked biggrin.gif have been using xebian for a while but id much prefer ubuntu

#5 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

PIMP , pimp , pimp

Keep them comin

#6 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

Nice. They need to rename it though, to avoid confusion with the other Xubuntu.

#7 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(pelago @ Apr 6 2006, 01:49 PM) View Post
Xubuntu.

No, Not another slow linux distro based on debian. Whats the point. Just tried it and it falls flat on it face in comparison to xebian. XDSL is far superior in terms of speed and usability. WHY - Well because its a port of damn small linux which was designed to run on a machine with limited resources like the xbox. Whast is the point. And you should have checked the name, there is an Xubuntu distro for the pc. NUFF SAID

Edited by x-fox, 06 April 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#8 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

someone over in Europe actually sent us, at work, a box of retail ubuntu cd's. but alas it wont install on my laptop as so many distros do now it gets so far then looses video and it wont com back.

so anyways.. i thru the 5.10 live cd into the xbox and it cant read it. not only that but its lopsided and makes the dvdrom vibrate really bad.

i havent tried the install cd yet..

so do you have to download the xbox version or did i read it incorrectly i tought it said the 5.10 release was xbox ready... ??

Edited by LESTAT, 06 April 2006 - 11:28 PM.

#9 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:21 AM

This sticks on a black screen for me.

#10 dmanjohn

dmanjohn

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Apr 6 2006, 08:28 PM) View Post

This sticks on a black screen for me.

ya me to

#11 caseyhalone

caseyhalone

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:17 AM

this should be cool. how does this compare to Xdsl?

Edited by caseyhalone, 07 April 2006 - 02:18 AM.

#12 bluto20

bluto20

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:this
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:21 AM

when i insert the disc in the tray, a few linux-related boot text show up in the top, then goes black and my eject button turns orange then shuts off? what would cause this?

#13 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(caseyhalone @ Apr 7 2006, 02:24 AM) View Post

this should be cool. how does this compare to Xdsl?

Simple answer, put into laymens terms without getting all technical. The Fact is xdsl is a small, fast linux distro that is bundled with small fast loading applications. The whole system is designed to run on hardware with limited resources such as the xbox. XDSL works and works very well on the xbox.

xUbuntu is slow. cant say anymore about xUbuntu. I got bored waiting for it to load.

#14 onslaught_789

onslaught_789

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:pwning people at halo 2
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

i got xubuntu running i had a cd i burned from an iso i downloaded from them and the files from the iso on my box run both together i get a login screen but having now usb keyboard/mouse couldnt get much further

#15 noob2modding

noob2modding

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

got this to work but Cant move with my xbox controller in the login screen, does this require a mouse and keyboard to work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users