73h_5uCk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

Okay, before the flaming begins, I have checked the tut's section of XBMC and did not get the exact info I was looking for. Either that, Or I really am a complete nub and need it spelled out for me.

ANYWAYS, I have an Xtra HDD (Western Digital 10Gig) and would like to use it for XBMC and related media files. On the tut's I've read, they all talk about installing Evo X as the dash... Is there a way to just put XBMC as the dash, or am I totally wh4ck?

Thanx in advanced!

Xbox V1.5
X3:CE Chip
Removable IDE Drive Mod

#2 mrogers

mrogers

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Computers, web design. Linux. Piano. Projects, projects, projects...like modding my Xbox!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:59 PM

Of course. Any program can technically be the default dash. I think a great number of us here use XBMC as the default dash; I do. Here's the entry on how to do it right in XBMC's online documentation:

http://manual.xboxme...BMCAsDash&v=w9z

#3 73h_5uCk

73h_5uCk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:48 AM

Thank you for the link! But, from what I read on their site, you must still have EvoX (or like dashboard) already installed to the HDD (in order to FTP and place XBMC in appropiate folder). I would like to surpass the task of installing EvoX, and then installing XBMC. For one, it's time consuming, and... I would like to keep as much space open for media files.

Also, can someone tell me the boot order of the X3 Bios...

#4 imamafackinhokie

imamafackinhokie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE(73h_5uCk @ Apr 6 2006, 08:55 PM) View Post

Thank you for the link! But, from what I read on their site, you must still have EvoX (or like dashboard) already installed to the HDD (in order to FTP and place XBMC in appropiate folder). I would like to surpass the task of installing EvoX, and then installing XBMC. For one, it's time consuming, and... I would like to keep as much space open for media files.

Also, can someone tell me the boot order of the X3 Bios...

one its less time consuming than reading instead of creating new posts, and evox requires very little file storage space as compared to media.

You can edit the boot order on the x3 bios, by going into the x3 config live bios screen. Hold the white button on the controller when booting up and you set the boot order

And then you can FTP there (on the x3 bios screen)

#5 73h_5uCk

73h_5uCk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:16 AM

Okay, I wasn't asking for your opinion on what to do. I'm asking HOW TO do sumpthing...

My question was/is: Is there a way to format a new HDD with XBMC as the only dash installed?

Thank you MRROGERS for your help.

#6 mrogers

mrogers

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Computers, web design. Linux. Piano. Projects, projects, projects...like modding my Xbox!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:22 AM

^ Yes, there is. I have never had any dash installed on my hard drive except for XBMC. I do use a EvoX boot DVD though; I booted with that and then followed the format over FTP tutorial (I use SmartFTP as my client). Only took a couple minutes, and then I installed XBMC over FTP.

#7 73h_5uCk

73h_5uCk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:55 AM

OKAY! I think I got it. I will only be running EvoX off a CD (or DVD) just to network and FTP over the new dash!
Right?

So couldn't I just make an XBMC boot disc... just curious now. tongue.gif

#8 mrogers

mrogers

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:02 AM

Well, you could, but it's much less troublesome and quicker, I think, to have an EvoX boot disc. But either should work.

#9 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

XBMC from cd/dvd will work once, then youŽll get a black screen, so go with evo-x...

But more to the point.

If you have the x3 bios you should start by reading some about it.

Stuff like that it can format and prep the hdd and that it have a built in ftp server is pretty good to know in this case as you do not need to burn or do anything else then boot into config live.

This info is very easy to find with Google

THIS is the second link so....

Please, pretty please, try and put some effort into it next time will you? A 10 second search on google is sure something that can be squesed into even the most hectic day....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users