• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

Ok, here's my problem, I have two xboxes:
V1.3, Samsung drive, Xchanger 2.5, Evox dash

V1.4, Philips drive, Xchanger 2.5, Evox dash

The 1.4 has no problem seeing the backup game on the DVD+R media. but the
1.3 says No Data disk.

I've tried swapping DVD drives and HDs from one to the other and if I swap none of them
sees the Media. Can DVD drives and HDs be swapping in this matter? or is the hardware married
to the mobo? They seem to play OG games just fine after the swap.

I swapped modchips with no results.

Any ideas? what can be done to get the xbox to see the backup game?
I read somewhere that one can tweek the laser on the drive will these help?
Is there such a thing as an xbox that won't read backups no matter what you do to it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 u_n_s97

u_n_s97

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(wild03 @ Apr 9 2006, 06:12 AM) View Post

Ok, here's my problem, I have two xboxes:
V1.3, Samsung drive, Xchanger 2.5, Evox dash

V1.4, Philips drive, Xchanger 2.5, Evox dash

The 1.4 has no problem seeing the backup game on the DVD+R media. but the
1.3 says No Data disk.

I've tried swapping DVD drives and HDs from one to the other and if I swap none of them
sees the Media. Can DVD drives and HDs be swapping in this matter? or is the hardware married
to the mobo? They seem to play OG games just fine after the swap.

I swapped modchips with no results.

Any ideas? what can be done to get the xbox to see the backup game?
I read somewhere that one can tweek the laser on the drive will these help?
Is there such a thing as an xbox that won't read backups no matter what you do to it?

Thanks in advance.

Old Samsung drives do not support reading DVD+R disks. You can do two things: either use DVD-R or if your burner supports it, set the DVD bitsetting to DVD-ROM when burning DVD+R disks. You can swap any DVD drives, but as said it is a media/reader problem so you cannot do that much with it. Get another drive, use another media (DVD-R) or set the booktype.

regards, Stephen

#3 wild03

wild03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(u_n_s97 @ Apr 9 2006, 06:23 AM) View Post

Old Samsung drives do not support reading DVD+R disks. You can do two things: either use DVD-R or if your burner supports it, set the DVD bitsetting to DVD-ROM when burning DVD+R disks. You can swap any DVD drives, but as said it is a media/reader problem so you cannot do that much with it. Get another drive, use another media (DVD-R) or set the booktype.

regards, Stephen

Thanks again Steve, How would you explain that the Phillips doesn't read them either. If I put the DVD+R game on the 1.4 withthe phillips it works, If I take the Phillips to the 1.3 it doesn't read. This has me puzzled cuz If I buy another drive It could do the same.
I think the DVD-R is something to try!

what is "set the booktype" ?? thanks

#4 wild03

wild03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(wild03 @ Apr 9 2006, 02:50 PM) View Post

Thanks again Steve, How would you explain that the Phillips doesn't read them either. If I put the DVD+R game on the 1.4 withthe phillips it works, If I take the Phillips to the 1.3 it doesn't read. This has me puzzled cuz If I buy another drive It could do the same.
I think the DVD-R is something to try!

Ok got some officemax 8x DVD-R today and copied the game, I used cd-copy from Nero to copy the DVD+R to the DVD-R, still nothing. I tried the DVD-R on the v.1.4 and both DVD+R and DVD-R work fine.

any ideas? BTW I also swapped modchips, made no difference.

#5 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:06 AM

you copied the media off of a +r to a -r try burning it againg but do it as if it was the first time
copy from computer to dvd-r

#6 u_n_s97

u_n_s97

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(wild03 @ Apr 10 2006, 06:28 AM) View Post

Ok got some officemax 8x DVD-R today and copied the game, I used cd-copy from Nero to copy the DVD+R to the DVD-R, still nothing. I tried the DVD-R on the v.1.4 and both DVD+R and DVD-R work fine.

any ideas? BTW I also swapped modchips, made no difference.

Seems the Samsung laser is so weak that it cannot read the Officemax disks. (no wonder anyway) get some DECENT media (Verbatim, TDK, Philips) and give it a try again. Media like Officemax is not good for anything but killing your laser sooner or later. blink.gif

regards, Stephen

by the way I saw some issues with swapped drives, a crystal caused me troubles that it does not read anything except with the original type of drive. Still have no clue what was going on with that, it was a limited edition Xbox, maybe they did some other authorization with the drive type itself there.

QUOTE(wild03 @ Apr 9 2006, 08:50 PM) View Post

Booktype can be set on DVD+ media to increase media compatibility. As older drives cannot handle DVD+ media properly, so when burning the disk you can set this flag and this will tell your old reader that it is a DVD-ROM and not a DVD+ media. This way the reader will read it, while it refuses when you do not set the flag. This is a wellknown issue with the old Samsung XBox drives, so you need to set the flag to DVD-ROM if your software and hardware support this. As you also note you use Nero, forget that crap program when burning Xbox disks, use DVDDecrypter, much smaller and reliable and will produce WORKING copies.

regards, Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users