7 replies to this topic

#1 Vhayne

Vhayne

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:50 AM

I'm currently in the market for a 360 system. I've decided on a premium setup with the HD, but from that point, I don't really know. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Headset -- Are there any good ones? Preferrably wireless.

2. Surround Sound -- I have a nice surround sound setup, and I'm wondering exactly how the 360 system connects to it. And are all the games done in surround sound, or just a couple?

3. Video -- This is the big question. smile.gif Ok, I have a 36" Sony, which isn't that great. It only has the typical Red/Yellow/White connector (think that's composite or AV connection), and S-Video. I don't have the money to get an HDTV at this time, but I think I recall someone saying it still looks great even on a regular TV. What is your opinion? Also, I was always under the impression that S-Video was better than the regular (Red/Yellow/White) connection. I mean Nintendo used this. I think the regular X-Box used S-Video at least. I'd hate to think they went that far back and didn't supply an S-Video connection.

4. How well does the wireless ethernet receiver work? My laptop receives a full signal all over the house, so I'd think it would be decent.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vhayne

#2 Jonm888

Jonm888

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:56 AM

1. The premium comes with a headset. Its decent enough. It connects directly into the wireless controller. its semi wireless. I would save your money on games, rather than buying another headset.

2. Optic cable. Same way as the original xbox. I believe all the games accept it.

3. ? I use composite.

4.?

#3 xboxgamer733

xboxgamer733

X-S Moderating Team

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Vhayne @ Apr 9 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post
1. Headset -- Are there any good ones? Preferrably wireless.
The MS-brand headset included with the Premium Xbox 360 bundle works fine for me, but it feels somewhat flimsy. I haven't tested different headsets, though, so other members may be able to recommend a better one.

2. Surround Sound -- I have a nice surround sound setup, and I'm wondering exactly how the 360 system connects to it. And are all the games done in surround sound, or just a couple?
The surround sound is outputted through an optical audio port at the base of the component HD AV cable.

And yes, Xbox and Xbox 360 games do support Dolby Digital.

3. Video -- This is the big question. smile.gif Ok, I have a 36" Sony, which isn't that great. It only has the typical Red/Yellow/White connector (think that's composite or AV connection), and S-Video. I don't have the money to get an HDTV at this time, but I think I recall someone saying it still looks great even on a regular TV. What is your opinion? Also, I was always under the impression that S-Video was better than the regular (Red/Yellow/White) connection. I mean Nintendo used this. I think the regular X-Box used S-Video at least. I'd hate to think they went that far back and didn't supply an S-Video connection.
Xbox 360 looks just fine on any SDTV, as I used mine on a 27" tube TV until I bought a 52" projection TV and a 27" LCD TV.

You obviously won't be able to see as much detail on a non-HDTV, but draw distances and colors are the same on any TV you use. Also, S-Video will give you a noticeably better picture than composite video.

4. How well does the wireless ethernet receiver work? My laptop receives a full signal all over the house, so I'd think it would be decent.
You'll encounter just about the same signal strength with the wireless networking adapter as with your laptop.

#4 Vhayne

Vhayne

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

Thanks a ton guy for your quick replies! smile.gif

Just to clarify one last thing...The 360 does come with an S-Video connector then, and not just the Composite?

#5 richie579

richie579

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

the 360 does not come with s-video, the video cable that comes with the premium has HD component and composite video outs....if you're gonna be with a SDTV for awhile, I'd definitely recommend an s-video cable.

#6 Vhayne

Vhayne

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

Ahh ok, that makes more sense. The S-video cable is sold seperately I'm assuming. Thanks a ton for your help everyone! smile.gif

Now to just sell my laptop, and hope I can find a 360 available lol.

#7 Lotus289

Lotus289

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

shouldn't be too tough to find anymore. i went to my local best buy on sunday (at 4:30pm too) and they had 8 premiums and 20 cores just sitting there. they said they've had them in for a few weeks now. and i guess it's the same story at circuit city too.

#8 dracus

dracus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Lots
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:15 AM

I walked into Best Buy today, and they had 2 premiums and 4 cores sitting there. smile.gif

I doubt you'll have to much trouble.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users