• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mhammonds

mhammonds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

I've just modified an xbox and installed Xebian onto it. It's great, but there is one thing in particular I would like to be able to do - switch it on by issuing a TCP/IP command over a network. As far as I can tell there are two possible ways it could be done:

1. Wake on Lan

I know that the xbox does not have WoL support on the motherboard, but would it be possible to hack some device (e.g. maybe a network interface card) to run off of the standby power to the xbox and then when the correct command is received by the device, close the xbox's on/off switch? Is there a device that would be suitable for this?

2. Remote Power Management

I have seen advertised network power board that work via a web interface that allow you to activate or reset the power to one of say five devices (usually servers). The trouble with the device I saw though was that it was prohibitively expensive. Is there some device that can just control the power for one socket, and is quite cheap (preferably under 15)?

Any help or advice that can be offered on this subject would be very much appreciated. The cheaper the solution, the better as I am a poor student!

Thanks,

Mark Hammonds

#2 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

The remote device is it.
The Xbox does not support WOL and hacking it in is not possible.
-nB

#3 mhammonds

mhammonds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

When I say WoL, I mean a device that is similar to the remote power device, but a device that only closes a lower power circuit (i.e. the on/off switch) rather than a 240v mains circuit. Other than that, the devices would be essentially the same (i.e. convert a particular TCP/IP input into a low voltage output).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users