#1 555ETHEN

555ETHEN

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

Do you guys think that if we came as far along with the 360 in moding as we have the Xbox, do you think that we could ever make a port XP to the 360 in the years to come? The 360 isn't a mule like the Xbox, but f***in white stalien when it comes to actuall hardware, and the hardware has been developed by computer hardware/software manufactuers so I think the potential is there.

#2 lumberjackmack12

lumberjackmack12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:01 PM

Erm I windows isn't open sourced. Correct me if I'm wrong but you need a source in order to port lol?

#3 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(lumberjackmack12 @ Apr 11 2006, 10:08 PM) View Post

Erm I windows isn't open sourced. Correct me if I'm wrong but you need a source in order to port lol?

XP will only run on a x86 CPU. maybe it could be emulated yes but it could never be natively installed as the xbox 360 has a Xenon, the multicore PowerPC CPU which would be incompatable with winxp. Having said this I could be wrong and often am. Maybe Mac os x tiger would be a better prospect. But I for one am in favour of linux as I think its way better than xp in many respects.

#4 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:43 AM

The only way windows will ever run on any xbox is through emulation.

#5 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Aww, don't be such a pessimist, deadparrot. The 360 is obviously a non-starter due to the different architecture, but I've outlined in quite some detail the (totally feasible, just tricky) steps required to get Windows to run natively on the original xbox.

#6 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Apr 12 2006, 01:50 AM) View Post

The only way windows will ever run on any xbox is through emulation.

Wrong. CE is not emulated

#7 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(x-fox @ Apr 12 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

Wrong. CE is not emulated

Well, CE is open to modification as it does not require a standard PC BIOS since it is designed to be run on handheld devices each of which differ greatly.

#8 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Apr 12 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post

Well, CE is open to modification as it does not require a standard PC BIOS since it is designed to be run on handheld devices each of which differ greatly.

The point was that ce is a version of windows that was not emulated.

#9 555ETHEN

555ETHEN

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

If we ever got are hands on the 360 XDK or whatever, would it be hard to write a small operating system for the 360?

#10 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(555ETHEN @ Apr 13 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

If we ever got are hands on the 360 XDK or whatever, would it be hard to write a small operating system for the 360?

Well if you as the guy's who did XBMC the same question the answer would probably be yes. XBMC could in my opinion be as near to a custome operating system gui as your going to get on the xbox one. Imagine what they could do on the 360.

#11 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

XBMC is nothing like an operating system - it's a shell, it depends on the MS xbox kernel for all basic services.

The devkit for the 360 would not be likely to be much help if you did want to write an OS (or port Linux or something). The current XDK has no detail about the hardware whatsoever, only the APIs provided by MS for you to use - there's no reason to suspect that the 360's would be any different.

You'd be doing it the old fashioned way - poke the hardware and see what happens, or reverse engineer existing binaries.

#12 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(torne @ Apr 14 2006, 09:53 PM) View Post

XBMC is nothing like an operating system - it's a shell, it depends on the MS xbox kernel for all basic services.

The devkit for the 360 would not be likely to be much help if you did want to write an OS (or port Linux or something). The current XDK has no detail about the hardware whatsoever, only the APIs provided by MS for you to use - there's no reason to suspect that the 360's would be any different.

You'd be doing it the old fashioned way - poke the hardware and see what happens, or reverse engineer existing binaries.

If you read my post properly you will see that I am not sugesting that XBMC is an operatiing system but a gui over the xbox os, much like xp media centre is a gui with xp at its heart. My point is the 360 devkit would provide the means for the xbmc team to provide something unique for the 360. Like they have produced something unique in xbmc for the original xbox.

#13 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

Then don't talk about OSes. wink.gif

If you're envisioning a 360 version of XBMC, then the devkit would indeed come in handy (as reverse engineering or blackbox probing to discover the required APIs would be quite time consuming) but is not sufficient - a way to run code on the 360 is still required, which is the subject of much current discussion in other forums...

Not sure what this has to do with running XP, or to do with Windows.. wink.gif

#14 vicviper74

vicviper74

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

What I dont get is if everyone can write an app to run off WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER. Why cant they get one to run/work mouse like controls and just send a type of on screen display. If they can get an emu running from WMC then you should be able to control windows from an app or somthing from the 360. so instead of running the os on 360 just control it and display it thru wmc. hell, just a thought.

#15 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(vicviper74 @ Apr 15 2006, 03:50 PM) View Post

What I dont get is if everyone can write an app to run off WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER. Why cant they get one to run/work mouse like controls and just send a type of on screen display. If they can get an emu running from WMC then you should be able to control windows from an app or somthing from the 360. so instead of running the os on 360 just control it and display it thru wmc. hell, just a thought.

Nice Idea. Not much more to say but yes a nice idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users