#1 danrowland

danrowland

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi all,

I looked in all the obvious places but could not find the answer to this.

When you have a shortcut to a folder like this:

<bookmark>
<name>Comedy</name>
<path>F:\Video\Comedy</path>
</bookmark>

if you put folder.jpg in this folder it does not show up as the icon for that shortcutted folder.

Is there any way of doing it that works??

Cheers!!

#2 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hi danrowland!

For the image to appear, I believe if you are using "xbe shortcut maker" then you can embed the image to the shortcut itself. Now you may need to convert the image to .xbx - don't remember if the program does that.

But for regular folders, as per JoyMonkey & Chokemaniac, I quote:

"To apply an image to a folder, put it in the folder and rename it to folder.jpg";

"To get an icon for a specific file inside a folder, rename the image to filename.tbn
example: Episode 01.avi -> Episode 01.tbn";

"To apply an icon to an application, put it, where the default.xbe is and rename to default.tbn".

NOTE: I remember when I was attributing a "shortcut" that it seemed I needed to clear the "cache" before it recognized it.

This may help, or I may be corrected. Hope this helps a little,

mbay

#3 danrowland

danrowland

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

Hi mbay!

Thanks for your response. I have not heard of anythnig called xbe shortcut maker, all i have done is edit the xboxmediacenter.xml file with the bits of code for the shortcuts (and deleted the ones for Drive C, Drive E, Drive F etc). So that when i choose Videos from the home screen i just get Comedies, Documentaries, Movies etc, rather than all the default shortcuts to the roots of the drives.

I know that, to display an icon for a subfolder all you have to do is put folder.jpg (for that icon) in that folder and it will show from the parent folder. This works fine for subfolders like Beavis and Butthead, The Office etc. The problem is with the actual shortcuts it doesn't work.

I assume that you have to use an <icon>blaahblah</icon> to point to the icon, like you do with the home buttons in xboxmediacenter.xml, but i'm guessing..

Let me konw if you have any ideas!

CHeers,
Dan

#4 danrowland

danrowland

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

Sorry - forgot to add - how do you clear the cache? Cant find anytnig in the manual about this

Thanks!!!

#5 spongy

spongy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(danrowland @ Apr 13 2006, 07:03 AM) View Post

I assume that you have to use an <icon>blaahblah</icon> to point to the icon, like you do with the home buttons in xboxmediacenter.xml, but i'm guessing..

Close.
<thumbnail>blaahblah</thumbnail>

To empty the cache. Delete E:\cache. But you shouldn't need to do that.

#6 danrowland

danrowland

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

And the blahblah bit should be the path.. like:

<thumbnail>E:\thumbs\comedy.jpg</thumbnail>

am i getting any better at guessing?

oh yeah, forgot to add - 'Thanks!'

#7 slumberpod77

slumberpod77

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:music, music, music, computers, audio engineering, gaming, code monkeying, music again
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

this really ought to be something we can set from within the bookmark editing GUI...

#8 spongy

spongy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(danrowland @ Apr 13 2006, 08:55 AM) View Post

And the blahblah bit should be the path.. like:

<thumbnail>E:\thumbs\comedy.jpg</thumbnail>

Sorry, I just assumed you new that part. Yes that is the correct way. Here is an example from my xml.
CODE

<bookmark>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path>smb://192.168.0.100/my movies/</path>
            <thumbnail>F:\icons\video\video.png</thumbnail>
        </bookmark>

this really ought to be something we can set from within the bookmark editing GUI...

I agree, maybe in xbmc360 ?

Edited by spongy, 13 April 2006 - 05:30 PM.

#9 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

ohmy.gif I knew I would be corrected! Lol.

Spongy, thanks for the help on this. It will help all those who would like to do this for their shortcuts.

slumberpod77, I agree with you as well. It will also avoid someone like me telling someone like danrowland something useless. smile.gif

Again, thanks to you both.

#10 spongy

spongy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(mbay @ Apr 13 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

ohmy.gif I knew I would be corrected! Lol.

Actually mbay, you were correct. folder.jpg / filename.tbn is the best way in most situations. Games,apps,movies,music on the hdd.

The only time I use <thumbnail> tags is for remote shares and the drive letters ( I don't like a bunch of crap in the root).

#11 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hi Spongy!

Thanks for the boost in confidence. smile.gif I feel less.....foolish? But I can't take credit for what I stated since I was reiterating what was already said by two very smart individuals.

I agree that to put too much in root is not the more "kosher" way to go, that's for darn sure! lol. I honestly did not consider for remote sharing that one would have to change this method since the icons are usually read locally. Perhaps just like embedding a "favicon" like on xs forums? huh.gif I'm curious.

#12 spongy

spongy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

You're right I don't use it for the media itself. I only use it for the directories.
So when I choose 'my movies' in xbmc, I see icons for Movies,Tvshows,video clips,pron.

Edited by spongy, 14 April 2006 - 08:16 AM.

#13 mbay

mbay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

Thanks spongy!

Interesting indeed! So you set the icons for the directories instead of seeing the default folder, I presume? An icon for each directory you, as you have stated.

On the topic of directories and shorcuts, can one set the path - e.g. through the xml file - when the use clicks on let's say "My videos", that it always leads to one specific folder, if a person only has one? Contrary to your case, I just dump all the videos into one folder since I wanted to save time - then again, maybe that's why I feel bug-eyed blink.gif when looking at all those files!

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users