• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hey,

I have the following hardware:

1. DSL Modem (DHCP) connected to my NIC on the PC
2. Wireless USB adapter for my PC
3. Wireless D-Link bridge for my xbox.
4. Modded xbox with XBMC installed (alos evox should I need it).

Just wondering if it were at all possible to get all these communicating and getting my xbox online maybe to play games via XLink Kai or something. Every possible config I have tried seems to fail. I got the pc talking to xbox wirelessly but I had to have my modem off. Obviously I never got the xbox online.

I configured the following. DSL Modem: 192.168.1.1, PC NIC: 192.168.1.2, PC USB WiFi adaptor: 192.168.1.3, Xbox wireless bridge: 192.168.1.4, Xbox: 192.168.1.5. Default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (Modem).

Wierd thing is too. I can plug the Wireless xbox bridge to my PC's NIC to configure it etc, unplug the cat5 cable and I can still ping it wirelessly. As soon as I unplug the power lead to move it to the loungeroom (with the same continuous ping going) it times out forever. Nothing.

I know what replies I will get, get a wireless router and I wont have a problem. Just thought Id ask as these are the pieces of hardware I have and I would obviously like to avoid spending more money.

Thanks for your help..

Shayne.

#2 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

If you want to keep the full wireless connection you have, you'll have to go XLink and change some of your hardware, as you'll need to reflash the router (WRT54G possibly other ones?) with new Xlink compatible firmware. If you want to play without buying a new router, you'd have to connect the xbox to the wireless pc into it's ethernet card via a crossover cable and enable Windows ICS.

edit** misread what you had, really your only option buying the least amount of stuff would be to wire the xbox via a cable to your computer with a crossover cable or to a router via a patch/straight through cable. My brain's kinda fried thanks to exams at the moment but I think that's your only option I haven't heard of a wired pc and wireless xbox working when there is no router. So your options would be wire the xbox to the pc with a crossover, get a wireless router, or get a wired router and wire the xbox directly to that.

#3 afruff23

afruff23

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

Wrielessly Network Xbox
(requires 2 identical routers, modem, xbox, PC, and cables)

Edited by afruff23, 13 June 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#4 johnnyrico

johnnyrico

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

I just use a philips DCHP DSL router with 802.11b/g, and an Xbox with linksys wirelessb/g game adapter.
all you need to do is check the DCHP IP of the Pc running the kai engine in the XBMC's xlink kai options.
on the PC, you just set kai to run in engine-only mode(aka dashboard mode)
normally that should work, I don't see why so many people keep on preaching that you MUST have a wired connection, it isn't true.

#5 johnnyrico

johnnyrico

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

however, since you don't wanna buy no new router, I recommend you set both wireless adapters in ad-hoc mode(basically a wireless crossover cable), turn on ICS and that should do it.

#6 punktilend

punktilend

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:good seller/repair: BIMPtacular(Wii d2b chip cut pin repair)
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(johnnyrico @ Jun 28 2006, 10:23 AM) View Post

I just use a philips DCHP DSL router with 802.11b/g, and an Xbox with linksys wirelessb/g game adapter.
all you need to do is check the DCHP IP of the Pc running the kai engine in the XBMC's xlink kai options.
on the PC, you just set kai to run in engine-only mode(aka dashboard mode)
normally that should work, I don't see why so many people keep on preaching that you MUST have a wired connection, it isn't true.

im having problems connecting my xbox just to the internet in general, and i have a linksys wireless g router and a linksys wireless a/g game adapter and my xbox gets a ip but just cant connect to anything and i cant figure out what is going on when i go into the ms dash its says im picking up signal from my network but when i go back into xbmc theres no rss feed or anything. is there anything else i should be doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users