halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hi all! I got my Xbox 360 as an early birthday present. I'm so happy I finally got mine! Anyways, I've been trying to find the best location for it in my room. I have a 27" Standard Def TV sitting on top of a stand with two shelves inside. Originally, I had my 360 positioned vertically next to my TV on the carpet (this was just for testing). I then put the 360 inside the cabinet (horizontally). There is a huge open space in the back of my cabinet so theres plenty of room for the hot air to escape. What did bother me was this. I decided to take it out and try High Defintion on another TV. When I felt the bottom of the console (the part where the feet are), the 360 was really hot! I'm guessing this isn't good? I also noticed that when my console was positioned vertically the DVD drive was a bit more noisy. Any suggestions from you guys? What's the best position for it?

#2 bigbubba7373

bigbubba7373

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

put it flat so the dvd drive opens just like on a pc or xbox1.make sure theres plenty of room for air around it.also make sure the power supply has plenty of air around it and never put them on a rug

#3 MaxEgg

MaxEgg

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Probably not enough circulation going into the entertainment centre to keep it cool enough, i keep mine on the side on a nice flat surface where there is no sunlight and not close to the ground and not in an enclosed case. this should help you out some.

#4 InfernO8

InfernO8

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

The other night I was watching my neighbor's kids and they have a ton of electronics like vcrs, cable boxes, dvd players and music equipment inside of their cabinet which has doors on the front which I would have thought kept it veryyy hot in there. I took a look at the back and they had 3 fans in the back which I believe said RadioShack on them which were screwed into the back of the entertainment system and kept the temperature in there nice. I think they were somewhere between 80mm and 120mm but I am not sure. I didn't notice how they were powered either but if you would like I can take a look. My suggestion would be to place it horizontal with some sort of feet under the console so it is at least like 1/4 inch off of the shelf along with 2 or 3 fans in the back of your cabinet and that should do the trick.

#5 89c4l98

89c4l98

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

Once you find a fan determine what amp and voltage the fans are and then buy a wall plug ac/dc power supply from radio shack and wire up the fans red/black to the wire comming from the wall plug and there you go. Radioshack has everything you need.

#6 zim}

zim}

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

missionary position

#7 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Well, I dunno if I have any rubber feet around to spare, and I don't know if I want 3 fans in the back of my entertainment center. Anyone try a laptop cooler?

I've also been looking at the Intercool 360, but I don't know if thats really going to fix the heat underneath the console.

Edited by halofun121, 13 April 2006 - 11:39 PM.

#8 R_X

R_X

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, can you restate that in another way? I do not understand.

Regards
Roberto Xanana
(RX)

#9 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

the bottom could be warm/hot for the following reasons.
1) the cpu, gpu and all other components are closest to the bottom when laying hoizontally
2) there's not as much room for heat to escape on the bottom compared to the top, sides or back

should you worry? i don't think so. i've had mine horizontally since nov 22nd and haven't experienced any heat problems but there's also nothing around my console. check out the "post your 360 pics" thread and around page 10, you can see my set up if interested.

#10 whiteblur67

whiteblur67

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE(R_X @ Apr 14 2006, 08:08 AM) View Post

Sorry, can you restate that in another way? I do not understand.
Regards
Roberto Xanana
(RX)

Doctor?

#11 MC2829

MC2829

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

Horizontall is the way to go. I know some people think vertical looks cool, but you never know when you may accidently make it fall, or even tilt, to ruin the disc inside. It's also better for the 360 I hear.

#12 TUUK

TUUK

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

Just for the record, my 360 is sitting vertically and have no real heat problems. It does get a bit toasty, but who's doesn't? As for why the bottom is hot, not sure. Heat rises, so I don't see any reason why the bottom would get warm. I haven't lifted mine to check the heat at the bottom, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue.
I haven't opened a unit yet or seen the layout, so I don't know what's at the bottom of the case. I'm sure someone here could tell you.
As for the best way to sit it, as some have said, it'd be more stable horizontal but it depends on the space you have. What's best is down to what works for you. The 360 was designed for either way so it should work either way.

Just find somewhere with plenty of ventilation and go nuts.

Enjoy 360 gaming. biggrin.gif

TUUK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users