falz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:52 AM

Has anyone gotten the DVD Dongle to share its IR eye with the X3IR? All that I've read shows that the XERC can, and this picture shows how:

IPB Image

I tried this with the X3IR but no go. My particular setup I have the MS DVD Dongle hardwired after a USB hub. Initially i thought this was the problem, but I soldered the IR eye back onto the dongle, and it worked fine. Put the Diode and wire in place, no go.

Anyone know any trick to it?

--falz

#2 njptrading

njptrading

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

The tutorial you snagged that pic off (by twistedsymphony), well he has helped me alot via email and i asked him this question (after trying the diode like the XERC and failing), and this was his response:

>Well different IR receivers need different electronics to work different, I've used a xIR receiver with the >dongle and it required a transistor to work properly, the XERC receiver needs a diode, I guess the X3 IR >needs something else. I've never tested the XERC myself, another XS member figured it out and passed on >the info to me so I could add it to my tutorial. Similarly the creator of the xIR was able to look at how his >receiver worked and pass on how to interface that... I don't have the equipment necessary to figure out how >to interface them so even if I had access to an X3 IR I probably wouldn't be able to figure it out unless I had >some lucky guesses.
>
>If I were to take a guess I would say it probably uses a signal inverted from what the dongle is looking for. So >if you were to get an NPN transistor and wire it up as an inverter it might work..
>
>You might have some luck just asking around the Xecuter forums to see if anyone has any ideas. Though >typically when I go to them with technical questions I'm met with blank stares.
>
>-TS

Well, im pretty competant with electronics and an inverter isn't hard to implement (google it!). But i didnt bother, incase it didnt work out. I actually didnt even bother searching the X3 forums. My box was in pieces and i needed it up and running quicktime.

I just detatched the eye off the MS dongle, and mounted it at the front of my case behind the clear plastic (got a crystal case). There's a perfect spot. if you go horizontal to the right of the dvd tray front, (above the eject button), behind the case theres a perfect little spot to shove the diode in (its millimetre perfect!). wire up an led next to it that blinks when you press a button and you're sorted. There's a tutorial for the LED but in simple, wire the long leg of the LED to the red (5.5v) pin on the dongle board with a resistor in series of course. and the ground you can just connect to the ground pin of the IR LED (since the led will be next to it).

Before i finish, i just wanna big up TS because he was a gigantic help, and fast email response. If you're reading, cheers TS!

#3 falz

falz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the great response. My particular box is transplanted into another case, so there's likely room for two IR receivers:

http://falz.net/xbox...ponent_with_lcd

I was just trying to keep it cleaner and get it down to one. From what you and TS describe, it would *probably* work, but I personally am sick of working on this project and just want it done, so I'll go the two-ir-receiver route.

Thanks for the comments! I was expecting to be greated with the same "blank stare" that TS describes in the xecutor forums smile.gif

--falz

#4 NeOnRaBbIt

NeOnRaBbIt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well.. sorry for bringing up such an old thread but just recently I began to finish all the mods I never finished a few years back. I was wondering if anyone has worked on this since then, or could come up with any to add to this seemingly faulty single eye solution.

from what I read on falz personal website ( http://falz.net/xboxcase/irusbwiring ) he attempted this mod but it never worked properly. I haven't found any other information on the internet about using a single eye for both x3ir and dvd dongle so I'm very eager to find a solution. If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

update:

well.. nevermind, I think I found what I was looking for on this thread at team-xecuter's forums

http://www.team-xecu...ead.php?t=41115

Edited by NeOnRaBbIt, 29 July 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#5 pattythefatty

pattythefatty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Neon,
If you get this working can you please post here. I tried this as well, but with different model transistor, and I am not sure if :
a ) I am an idiot
b ) the different transistor made a difference
c ) the diagram is not correct

but I couldn't get it to work.

I would appreciate a confirmation of my sanity, or at least I would know for sure i was an idiot! biggrin.gif

-PTF

Edited by pattythefatty, 30 July 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#6 NeOnRaBbIt

NeOnRaBbIt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

That thread I linked previously will probably be of most help to you.. I haven't been able to get anything going with it :/ My box refuses to even boot up at the moment so idk what's going on. As far as using a different transistor, I think it calls for a PNP type transistor if you have a Rev.A dongle. Switching a PNP with a NPN will most likely not work, so make sure its a PNP type. Supposedly a diode works fine for Rev.B dongles and that's how people have gotten it to work.

If you have Rev.A, check this post: http://www.team-xecu...mp;postcount=11.

It should say on either side of the dongle pcb what revision you are. Actually.. I dont kno if RevA even says its so, but Rev.B definitely states it. So if you see nothing, try the transistor as mentioned in that post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users