9 replies to this topic

#1 The_Juggernaut

The_Juggernaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

Hi all, Right now I have my 360 case off getting airbrushed any who. I hooked up my 360 with out the plastic case and played PGR 3 for about 30 mins. When I was done I put my controller next to my 360 and I was like "Hey, I wonder how hot the metal heat sheild is." MISTAKE!! that lil peace of metal was hot as hell, So my question is is it ok to play with the case off, 2nd is it supposed to be that hot, does it play hotter with the case off. I dont wanna burn my 360 up and burn my house down. Thanks

#2 pingrr

pingrr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

Removing the case will effect air circulation. Certain parts of the 360 may not be getting cooled without the case there to direct the airflow.

#3 whiteblur67

whiteblur67

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

i dare you to take the heatsinks off and turn the 360 on muhaha.gif muhaha.gif muhaha.gif muhaha.gif

#4 tiavo

tiavo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(whiteblur67 @ Apr 14 2006, 10:47 PM) View Post

i dare you to take the heatsinks off and turn the 360 on muhaha.gif muhaha.gif muhaha.gif muhaha.gif

Lol!!! muhaha.gif That's not cool.

#5 TUUK

TUUK

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

I agree with what pingrr says. Air circulation is non-existent without a case on the unit. I don't know how hot a unit should get internally under normal usage, but based on the fan exhaust, I would imagine any metal surfaces inside would be pretty hot.

Well done for sticking your finger on something hot to let us know just how hot it is. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't like to say either way if I thought it was safe to play without a case or not. In one respect, it's being run under conditions it wasn't designed, or probably tested for. I'd grab a pedistal fan or whatever you can find and point it at the 360 while it's running just to cool it off a little.

Hell, even with a case on it couldn't hurt. Wish I'd bought a 360 at launch to help through the cold winters. smile.gif

TUUK

#6 The_Juggernaut

The_Juggernaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(TUUK @ Apr 14 2006, 07:30 PM) View Post

I agree with what pingrr says. Air circulation is non-existent without a case on the unit. I don't know how hot a unit should get internally under normal usage, but based on the fan exhaust, I would imagine any metal surfaces inside would be pretty hot.

Well done for sticking your finger on something hot to let us know just how hot it is. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't like to say either way if I thought it was safe to play without a case or not. In one respect, it's being run under conditions it wasn't designed, or probably tested for. I'd grab a pedistal fan or whatever you can find and point it at the 360 while it's running just to cool it off a little.

Hell, even with a case on it couldn't hurt. Wish I'd bought a 360 at launch to help through the cold winters. smile.gif

TUUK

I got just the plastic case part off, the metal part is still there, so if you look at my box the top is the metal heat sheild not the internals like this "http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/MS/xbox360/no_cov.jpg", so it still has normal air flow

#7 TUUK

TUUK

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

The unit it still not running in the condition it was designed for. I doubt the metal chassis will shape the airflow the same way the plastic case will.

If the machine boots and runs in a condition you're happy with, then game on man. If not, don't. It's your machine and entirely your choice what you choose to do.

Any chance you could post a picture of what the metal chassis inside looks like for the curious like myself?

TUUK

BTW, what are you getting painted on your case and do you plan on letting us plain cased people take a look? I assume you're having it done by a pro? smile.gif

#8 BoyScout

BoyScout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:19 AM

I think its suppose to be pretty hot, i meant i dont think its such a good thing but if you notice after you play about 1 hour or so and touch the plastic part that part is pretty hot by itself... and your not even close to directly touching the metal. I mean i dont believe putting case on and off will really change how much air it gets and etc, it does get good air if you take case off also. maybe not exactly at the parts it needs to be though.

#9 taikwondoejoe

taikwondoejoe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:36 AM

I havn't had my case on for weeks now. The only thing that gets really hot is the heatsyncs.

#10 The_Juggernaut

The_Juggernaut

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(TUUK @ Apr 14 2006, 09:19 PM) View Post

The unit it still not running in the condition it was designed for. I doubt the metal chassis will shape the airflow the same way the plastic case will.

If the machine boots and runs in a condition you're happy with, then game on man. If not, don't. It's your machine and entirely your choice what you choose to do.

Any chance you could post a picture of what the metal chassis inside looks like for the curious like myself?

TUUK

BTW, what are you getting painted on your case and do you plan on letting us plain cased people take a look? I assume you're having it done by a pro? smile.gif

I'll see if i can get a camera I dont have one sad.gif.

Tuuk,

I'm getiing a Juggernaut theme painted/airbrushed. I just send it off so I'll get some pics up as soon as the artisht gets me some, I'll also put up some pics when I get mt baby home. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users