MadPerry

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:59 AM

i downloaded the 720p trailer for final fantasy XI and i think it looks lousy. screen tearing a plenty, ps2 poly models, and blurry textures that look low res. like i thought, square enix support is going to be a joke. grr.gif

#2 Kraptreon

Kraptreon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:they smell like cheese but they're not they're more like frogs
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:40 AM

aots on g4 did a preview of it last week and it didn't even look close ps2, probably as good as or better than WoW.

#3 BoyScout

BoyScout

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:59 AM

I have to agree square enix support is being like a joke. I mean compaired to the ps2 seriously, they get kingdom of hearts 2 we get some port. However, i thought this game was kinda cool expect we have to play like all other mmo rpgs... meh dont have enough money to support renting games, xbox live, and paying for another MMO... the 360 cost high enough XD

#4 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

When I tried the beta in February, I didn't like it. Graphics don't concern me like they do others, but the reasons I didn't like it were because of the interface that was a chore to navigate and the need for a keyboard.

Way too much emphasis is placed on graphics. Graphics aren't everything. Graphics can't make up for the lack of A.I. in Ghost Recon: AW. I'd much rather play GTA3 on the Xbox than Auto Modellista. Auto Modellista is a beautiful-looking game, but it's like battling the controller to get your car to do what you want it to. In fact, I've never come across anyone that ever said it's a fun game.

You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you only judge games by what they look like. I don't know if the beta period is over, but if you search dilligently, you might find a February issue of OXM, and you can make your mind up properly.

#5 Kraptreon

Kraptreon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:they smell like cheese but they're not they're more like frogs

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

meh dont have enough money to support renting games, xbox live, and paying for another MMO... the 360 cost high enough XD
its actually not going to cost extra to play on xbox live

Way too much emphasis is placed on graphics. Graphics aren't everything. Graphics can't make up for the lack of A.I. in Ghost Recon: AW. I'd much rather play GTA3 on the Xbox than Auto Modellista.

totally true, i don't care about grafics that much which is why i just finish grim fandango, i just was never able to get a copy of it in the past

Edited by Kraptreon, 16 April 2006 - 06:03 PM.

#6 Sweenerdog32

Sweenerdog32

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE(metaldevil @ Apr 16 2006, 01:36 PM) View Post

Way too much emphasis is placed on graphics. Graphics aren't everything.

I see where you're coming from, but...if you allow me to say so...they play one hell of a part in what a consumer buys. I mean, why did we all buy the 360? Mostly because of the improved technology, and because of that, the improved graphics. If graphics don't matter, then whats the point of shelling out $650 for a 360? We could all be playing the NES! pop.gif

Sorry if I sound rude, but graphics do impact on what we play (most of the time)

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(MadPerry @ Apr 15 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

i downloaded the 720p trailer for final fantasy XI and i think it looks lousy. screen tearing a plenty, ps2 poly models, and blurry textures that look low res. like i thought, square enix support is going to be a joke. grr.gif

... why pass judgment on the trailer when you could just get the beta version and try it for yourself?

honestly the graphics aren't THAT bad for an MMO. The problem I had with it was it's clumsy interface and lack of integration with Xbox Live (it uses the Play online crap instead of Xbox Live for most generic functions) but neither of those things are any worse then you'd get on a PC or another console.

#8 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

I'd get the facts before shooting off crap about how square-enix support sucks. It would have been easy for them to upgrade the graphics, but you guys are forgetting that this is an MMO game. Because PC, PS2 and 360 users will all be playing together, the version of the game has to be absolutely identical on all platforms to keep it even. Only upgrading the 360 version would create an unfair advantage, especially with draw distances and such. The bottom line is, the 360 version looks like it does ON PURPOSE.

#9 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

i agree with the two last posts. i would wait and see until some more games comes down the line before i judge how squares support is. i honestly do believe that they will do us good and am excited to see what games they bring to the 360. remember they werent happy with sony after the whole ps2 revision/HD fiasco.

as for the game, its a 3+ year old game. what do you expect? also MMOs have never been known to be graphical powerhouses. for a MMO it looks average IMO, although the tearing during the video was a bit much, im sure it wont be that during gameplay.

#10 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

its all a pile

Happy day after Easter smile.gif

#11 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 16 2006, 09:47 PM) View Post

... why pass judgment on the trailer when you could just get the beta version and try it for yourself?

beta ended a couple weeks ago, have to wait for the real deal...

#12 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

I feel like a total noob for asking this, but I have read a few previews and such and still can't find the answer.

Can this game even be played as single player or can it only be played online?

I'm not a huge FF fan, but I played 1, 2, and had the 7th (haven't played any since, hate PS2 and PC games). I have it on reserve and still plan to buy it even if everybody is downing it. Either way it won't change my mind, but that does kind of suck if it can ONLY be played online. Thanks for any replies.

#13 MajestacaL

MajestacaL

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 17 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post

I feel like a total noob for asking this, but I have read a few previews and such and still can't find the answer.

I'm not a huge FF fan, but I played 1, 2, and had the 7th (haven't played any since, hate PS2 and PC games). I have it on reserve and still plan to buy it even if everybody is downing it. Either way it won't change my mind, but that does kind of suck if it can ONLY be played online. Thanks for any replies.

I online only no single player action ive been playing it since release its a great game but ive always been a ff fan.

#14 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Apr 17 2006, 03:22 PM) View Post

beta ended a couple weeks ago, have to wait for the real deal...

ahh, I didn't realize... wink.gif

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 17 2006, 03:44 PM) View Post

Nope, online only.

This game doesn't really have any story to speak of, IMO even if you're a fan of other FF games this really shouldn't even be considered FF, it's in the same universe but that's about it. It's just an MMO like World of Warcraft or Everquest.

Playing this single player would be like playing an FPS on a multiplayer map with no bots and no other players.

#15 stoneyjonez

stoneyjonez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Sweenerdog32 @ Apr 16 2006, 10:34 PM) View Post

If graphics don't matter, then whats the point of shelling out $650 for a 360?

I don't know where you got a 360 for $650, but you definitely got ripped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users