#1 cynicl12000

cynicl12000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hi there,

I've modded a few boxes, and told a friend, "Sure, I can mod yours np." Didn't realize he was a v1.6 (never done one before, but heard the horror stories). Too late for a long story short, but here's the gist of it:

1.) I used the Xatp3r v1.6 solderless adaptor (my soldering skills make special ed shop kids look like journeymen)
2.) Following the simple online instructions, I now have it set up so that all of the light indicators show it to be installed correctly.
3.) I have placed my Xecuter 3 CE on the pins, making sure that I've set up the 5v and the power/eject adapter correctly ( I think so, anyway).

The box turns on fine if I hold the power button down (to bipass the modchip). However, if I quickly press it (the switchpad's light is blue, so chip should be enabled) the box powers on very briefly, powers off, on again, off again, finally on again with Christmas lights (flashing red/green)...also, in this state, it is inconsistant whether or not the fan will turn on...never seen that one b4.

I've tried reseating & reconnecting everything, now I'm lost...any advice would be great.

Edited by cynicl12000, 16 April 2006 - 06:45 AM.

#2 wivenhoe

wivenhoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

You are getting a FRAG (Flashing Red And Green) problem. Have a look for other threads on fragging and there's loads of information.

#3 ItchyB

ItchyB

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

If your box is not a 1.6 then the BIOS is wrong, the 1.6 need a 1.6 version BIOS.

#4 skyzerr33

skyzerr33

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

I don't think he has got to the flashing bios stage yet. here is a tip don't use the screw supplied with the Xatp3r use the standard motherboard screw which holds it down flush way better your problem would the connections on the bottom of the xatp3r not connecting to the motherboard properly

#5 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

My personal opinion is that the solderless adapters are more trouble than they're worth. It doesn't come from personal experience, but rather just what I have seen throughout the forums. Fragging issues always seem to come up with these. They don't travel well either.

Personally, if you aren't going the true solder route, I would look into softmodding it.

Triple check all your points. HERE is another set of directions I found for your adapter that I found by doing a quick search. See if they match what you have.

Good luck!

#6 cynicl12000

cynicl12000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:38 PM

First of all, I want to say thanks to all of you for your help.

Second: I've gone through yet again and the xapt3r 1.6 install looks very sound based on the instructions linked above and those in the teamxecuter forums (actually, those are a bit more comprehensive, as they discuss the lights feature on the adapter that indicates whether the connections are correct...for people that may find this issue via search, they are located here.

I've tried to secure the adapter using the original mb torx screw, but it won't seat (the threads don't seem to catch, perhaps the screw isn't long enough?). Is that screw used for something other than to secure the adapter (e.g. as a ground)? If so, this could be part of my problem. From my reading, this FRAGging appears to be a power issue, which might explain the inconsistency with whether the fan is on or not.

I will continue my research into this (as wivenhoe stated, there's tons of information on it, now I just need to find the bits that are useful) & will post any results I come across, along with links to the source. If anyone has any additional information readily available (e.g. links, etc.) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Edited by cynicl12000, 16 April 2006 - 11:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users