Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

SmartXX v3 (Pro) Review-- Posted by XanTium on April 17 17:30 EST
Here's the Xbox-Scene review for the Smartxx (Pro) v3 Xbox Modchip. It took a while, but once again you'll get the most informative, detailed and honnest review you'll find on the net with tons professional high-resolution pictures (incl. when installed) and several videos to give you a real-life feel of the chip and OS. A short excerpt of the introduction:

This is the review for the SmartXX(info) v3, Team SmartXX' latest installement of their Pro-range modchip. I tested the modchip with a solder install on an Xbox v1.1 and with SmartXX' own nosolder adapter (called Spider16) on an Xbox v1.6x. The review also includes an up-to-date overview of the SmartXX Pro OS.

The Package

Xbox-Scene
The SmartXX v3 comes as a pretty complete package. You'll get:
* The SmartXX v3 modchip
* An LPC rebuild PCB for Xbox v1.6x
* A Headerpin
* A replacement wire of the power/eject-DVD-ROM that will tap off 5v for your chip
* IR-sender
* Wirebundle you can plug in your SmartXX v3 with a wire for D0, LFRAME, ground, emergency recovery and disable.
* A SmartXX v3 case-sticker
* A 5v-wire to use between SmartXX v3 and a Spider16 nosolder addon (or eventually other future addons that might need an extra 5v)
* An Xbox-to-USB connector
* A Xebian(info) (Debian for Xbox) CD (not burned, but pressed ... easier to read for the Xbox)

Read our complete review that includes a full overview of the modchip ICs, ports and LEDs, addons, installation methods and the SmartXX OS(info). All with high-res pictures and videos:
http://www.xbox-scen...xxv3-review.php

Official Site: http://www.smartxx.com
Buy the SmartXX v3 modchip: Divineo.com | BMMods | Extreme-Mods | Freakware | Divineo.de | Divineo.se | Divineo.fr | Divineo.es | Divineo.cn

#2 jherre6

jherre6

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

SmartXX

what a joke...

jherre6

#3 rockrerun

rockrerun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

already have it, and I love it! It has tons of bonus features, you just have to know how to take advantage of 'em wink.gif . Anyone who says otherwise has probably not even tried the chip, or was too stupid to understand it.

#4 DaddyO21

DaddyO21

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

I like more purple , guess ill go with an Xecuter3.

#5 Trex666

Trex666

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Trance/Gothic/Metal music, Linux, XBMC, Blackbox, Last.fm, Foobar, UIX, XDSL, Xecuter
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(rockrerun @ Apr 18 2006, 12:04 AM) View Post

already have it, and I love it! It has tons of bonus features, you just have to know how to take advantage of 'em wink.gif . Anyone who says otherwise has probably not even tried the chip, or was too stupid to understand it.

Was you bribed or under the influence of certian chemical substances?

#6 brakken

brakken

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

Great review (as always). I did have a question about the IR out port. The official installation manuals instruct you to plug the LED that comes with the SmartXX v3 into this output port. At the time of publishing my review this was all the information about the port I had. If the port is for transmitting then why plug the LED into it? What's the LED for? Is the transmitter built into onto the chip itself? Just would like to clear this issue up so I can fix my review. I hate having errors smile.gif

#7 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(brakken @ Apr 18 2006, 01:49 AM) View Post

Great review (as always). I did have a question about the IR out port. The official installation manuals instruct you to plug the LED that comes with the SmartXX v3 into this output port. At the time of publishing my review this was all the information about the port I had. If the port is for transmitting then why plug the LED into it? What's the LED for? Is the transmitter built into onto the chip itself? Just would like to clear this issue up so I can fix my review. I hate having errors smile.gif

Yeah there have been reports on forums and shoppages that this port was an IR activity or receiver port, but it's infact an IR-sender, to send out an IR-signal.
The wire you get with the SmartXX that you can plug in this port is not a LED, but an IR-sender ... like what's used in many TV remotes for example. Sadly I could not test this feature because there's no support for it yet in the OS (or homebrew software). But I think it's certainly original and hope to see a future OS (or XBMC) with some original support for it.

#8 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:40 AM

Youd think this late in the game theyd have their software making full use of their hardware

people still modding xboxes?

#9 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

They didn't gold plate the PCB - what a piece of crap!

Actually I'm not a SmartXX fan but it's nice to see they did a revision basically to help the end user. XLCD support is very nice. Xenium has had what 3 revisions since SmartXX v2 and Stryker was coming out in January. I'm still an Xecuter fan, but they did do a nice job.

#10 Divineo Support

Divineo Support

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

If you purchased your smartxx on divineo.com and have problem the installation... Please contact our tech support at techsupport@divineo.com
They'll be able to help you with this

Divineo Support

#11 TIMxIRISH

TIMxIRISH

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(Trex666 @ Apr 17 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post

Was you bribed or under the influence of certian chemical substances?

No, I think what describes that is making a "smart" decision. wink.gif

SmartXX v3 is a great chip, but definantly not for noobs. My first chip was an X3, and even if i knew about the SmartXX v3, i would have bought X3 first anyway. X3 has a lot of good features, and is pretty easy to install. SmartXX v3 has a bunch of extras that most people would play around with and mess something up. It's best to start out with a different chip before moving on to X3,.. just so you can learn the ropes of modded Xboxes first.

#12 cimman305

cimman305

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(TIMxIRISH @ May 19 2006, 07:51 AM) View Post

No, I think what describes that is making a "smart" decision. wink.gif

SmartXX v3 is a great chip, but definantly not for noobs. My first chip was an X3, and even if i knew about the SmartXX v3, i would have bought X3 first anyway. X3 has a lot of good features, and is pretty easy to install. SmartXX v3 has a bunch of extras that most people would play around with and mess something up. It's best to start out with a different chip before moving on to X3,.. just so you can learn the ropes of modded Xboxes first.

I'm actually thinking of getting the X3 chip. This will be my first mod and after reading your comment, I'm a wee bit concerned if I should get X3. My first choice is the Xenium chip, but I don't want to pay for stuff that I won't be using (ie. Gold plating). The SmartXX v3 is another alternative. However, you seem to prefer the X3 to the SmartXX. So I assume the SmartXX has less features than the X3. I might get the SmartXX if it is easier to install.

#13 maximusoctavious

maximusoctavious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

This is the best chip period! X3 sucks. People who bag on the SmartXX are simply stupid. Period! tongue.gif

#14 MourningWood

MourningWood

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:29 AM

I've used all of the major chips such as the Xenium, X3 and this one. I used the Xenium in my personal box for quite some time then moved to the X3 just for the crappy screen, eye candy talks. I used the SmartXX on a regular basis for modding boxes just because with the wireless adapter it was easy to install and had all the feature I needed to get my job done.

If you are reading this and not really into modding but just using a modded box I suggest you go with something simple like the duoX2, off and on is all you need to play.

#15 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(maximusoctavious @ Jan 17 2008, 10:57 PM) View Post

This is the best chip period! X3 sucks. People who bag on the SmartXX are simply stupid. Period! tongue.gif

Why do people bump threads over one and a half years old to try and start an old flame war in the present. I'm sorry you've ruined a perfectly good thread by slagging of the X3 like that in a SmartXX forum. Please don't bump year and a half threads it feels like your in a time machine so don't do it.

So I'm going to have to close a perfectly good thread were it would have been open back in 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users