Photo

Help Needed With Xbox Hard Drive Please!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jdrt0313

jdrt0313

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

IS there any way I can do somthing with the HD (windows explorer kind of stuff) to put back the default.xbe file back where it belongs???? I tried to put the HD in my PC but it seem the only way to acces it is to format it..HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Is there any software that could allow me to read an manipulate the files in the XBOX's HD? Will a HD CLONER WORK?

#2 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:37 AM

Is this box softmodded or hardmodded? If it's hardmodded you can restore your software via back-up disc. Just make an ISO with the latest auto-intstaller deluxe. Then go through the dashboard options and it'll have the option to install the original dashboard.

If this is a softmodded xbox... I recommend just buying a cheap modchip that allows your xbox to read back-up discs (DVD-rw, CD-rw). I had the same problem and this an easy solution. Plus you can really unleash the power of your xbox with the home brew stuff available with hardmodding.

Good luck, don't stress out too much. It's only a machine biggrin.gif .

P.S. You should have seen the stress I was under when I broke my first xbox with softmodding. I thought it was the end of the world!

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(Sloppy Fat Dump @ Apr 20 2006, 10:44 AM) View Post

Plus you can really unleash the power of your xbox with the home brew stuff available with hardmodding.

There is no homebrew you can run using a hardmod but not a softmod.

Moving to Newbie Chat...

#4 .:Dino:.

.:Dino:.

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

is it softmodded or hardmodded. As said if its hardmodded (chip/tsop) then you can just boot a unleashx disc or something and ftp in and correct it.

If its softmodded which it sounds to be then its a lil harder. Did you backup the eeprom? You should have. If so then make a xboxhdm disc with your eeprom.bin in the eeprom folder and you c and e files in the c and e folder go to option 3 for locking/unlocking tools. Type "unlockhd -a" to unlock the drive. You can then prepare it using the rebuild option and then relock using "lockhd -a" in linux locking/unlocking.

If you didnt backup the eeprom, you will need to hotswap, assuming that the drive is in an unlocked status when it boots the error message. What error number is displayed? Hardmod/softmod???

#5 [Captain_America]

[Captain_America]

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Computers, xbox, halo.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

download Xplorer360 from the hdd tools section here on xs. Just plug in the hdd in your computer, open up the program, and select open harddrive or memcard. You can see all the partitions and files and do whatever.

#6 jdrt0313

jdrt0313

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:40 AM

Thanks people for all the advise. It is a soft moded xbox. I tried usin the xboxhd tools but I did not save the eeprom so I guess that method is out of the question.

will the Xplorer360 work for a xbox? If it does, will it work with my locked HD? This one seem as a good solution . The only thing I need to do is acces somhow the HD file to put back that default.xbe file in its place. I guess that if Xplorer360 cant work with my locked HD i'll have to get a modchip. I try anyway with Xplorer360 and let you guys know how it went. Thanks!

#7 .:Dino:.

.:Dino:.

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

No tool will work with your locked hdd, you should have backed up the eeprom!!! wink.gif .

The only fix is to either hotswap or chip. Can you still boot games? What error message is displayed.

Edited by .:Dino:., 21 April 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#8 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:13 AM

Like Dino said, you need to do a hotswap.

Read up on how to do it, but here is what you
need to do.

Power down your PC. Open the case. Preferably
connect a power source from your PC to the
Xbox HD. Have an IDE cable ready from your
PC that will connect to the Xbox HD. Set the
jumper on the Xbox HD to how you are connecting
it to your computer. If you are short on IDE cables,
unplug your CD Roms and use that one.

Boot up your PC, boot up your Xbox. After the Xbox
is up, DC the IDE cable and swap with the PC.

You should be able to run xplorer360 and find the
HD.

Dino, please correct my errors, as I am not a hotswapper.

Read the tuts and you should do fine.

After you fix this, back up your eeprom and copy the
C and E drives to your PC. Learn from your mistakes.

Edited by 1hotjob, 21 April 2006 - 02:14 AM.

#9 JrracinFan8

JrracinFan8

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:22 AM

Xplorer 360 is by means not really meant for hotswap, mainly used for peeps that have screwed something with an unlocked hard drive and cant ftp to the xbox, but you might be able to use it.

#10 jdrt0313

jdrt0313

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:23 AM

I guess I'll try the hotswap. Will it work even if the xbox boot up to some wierd message in all languages telling me to contact technical support?

#11 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

That's the customer service error screen, and yes, it will.. but much easier in certain cases:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=332179
When is the drive unlocked?
The Xbox HD DOES NOT unlock when your xbox boots into an error 6 or 7. The drive is usually unlocked for a short period on Xbox Errors 11, 12, 13, 16, & error 21, but Errors 11 & 12 are the preferable errors to do the hotswap. It is also unlocked inside the m$ dash, and also during gameplay.

#12 jdrt0313

jdrt0313

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

OK.... I'm kind of confused. This is whats going on. I moved al file called default.xbe from E: to C: partition in my softmoded XBOX. I'am seeking a way to access the HD files to undo this mistake, but I don't have any eeprom or HD backup. After I moved the file in the XBOX it boot up to an error message #7 telling me to contact support. What can I do to acces these files? Will hotswaping work if error 7 is displayed? If I buy a modchip (LAST ALTERNATIVE$) would I be able to save the hd and the xbox from this black hole that I put myself into?

#13 juan_2006

juan_2006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Xombe @ Apr 20 2006, 11:49 PM) View Post

QUOTE(jdrt0313 @ Apr 21 2006, 09:37 AM) View Post

Will hotswaping work if error 7 is displayed?

Are you soo ingonrant that you dont read the post above yours?? He clearly says the xbox hdd DOES NOT unlock when the xbox boots into error 6 or 7, so that means you cant hotswap . Error 7 is is a hdd error that means it will die soon, if it hasnt already. So your gonna need a chip and a new hdd. Get a duo2x they're like 15bucks.

#14 jdrt0313

jdrt0313

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

Forgive me for my ignorance, but bad news are hard to swallow.

#15 juan_2006

juan_2006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

Lol i was kinda mean.

Yeah i was very pissed when i got the error, good thing i had a crappy pc around and just took the hdd out and pluged it to my xbox and used slayers to format it etc (to do that you need a modchip)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users