X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:22 AM

Hi all,

I currently have a fairly standard xbox with an Xecuter 2.6, using normal MS dongle and remote, running XBMC as dashboard. 100% happy with it and don't use it for games (other than some emus).

Now, I plan on getting another one with an X3, and X3 Control Panel (from xecuter.com.au) for another room (on the same network).

What's the deal with this X3IR thing? Will it make my life easier or harder? I don't have any trouble using the MS dongle and remote (and have become quite acustomed to what buttons do what, like Info for imdb lookup), but I noticed it looks like the X3 Control Panel has an IR eye, so for the extra 40 bucks thats fine if it gives me back a controller port.

Will the dongle even fit when using the Control Panel in anything other than port2? I have a "dragonbox" wireless controller I'd like to use (for when I do play games) which has a massive ugly box you plug into a port, and I don't think it would fit into any other port other than the second one which the dongle would use.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I've searched for info about the X3IR, and some decent pictures of installed control panels, and have not found anything sufficient.

Cheers!

#2 00g

00g

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

The MS DVD dongle wil fit in ports 2, 3, and 4. However, if you put it in anything but #2, it will cover part of the X3LCD.

As far as why would you want the X3IR over the MS DVD Dongle?
You want both.

I bought/installed the X3IR under the misconception that it would give me the ability to turn the Xbox on/off with a remote control, and also double as the DVD Dongle, freeing up my controller ports of that horrendous dongle.

This is not the case.

THE X3IR ONLY GIVES YOU THE ABILITY TO TURN THE XBOX ON AND OFF WITH A REMOTE CONTROL.

Any remote control. You can have it learn any ir freq.

If you want to be able to use a remote to turn the xbox on/off and also navigate XBMC, EVOX, etc, you need the dongle as well.

I was pretty pissed off when I found all this info out. However, since the initial shock, I've purchased the MS remote/dongle, and there hasn't been a controller plugged into my Xbox since. (I just wish there was a way for me to enter the X3 BIOS via the remote.)

#3 scottchicken

scottchicken

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(00g @ Apr 21 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

The MS DVD dongle wil fit in ports 2, 3, and 4. However, if you put it in anything but #2, it will cover part of the X3LCD.

THE X3IR ONLY GIVES YOU THE ABILITY TO TURN THE XBOX ON AND OFF WITH A REMOTE CONTROL.

If you want to be able to use a remote to turn the xbox on/off and also navigate XBMC, EVOX, etc, you need the dongle as well.

Brilliant exactly the info I was after. I suspected that about port #2. No worries I can live with that. I will skip the X3IR as I am fine turning on the Xbox with the device at the end of my arm (and use XBMC shutdown for off).

Cheers!

#4 scottchicken

scottchicken

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

Had one more question regarding the X3 Control Panel's USB ports - do these allow you to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse (for use with LinksBox etc), or it is only for flash storage devices?

Cheers!

#5 scottchicken

scottchicken

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE(scottchicken @ Apr 24 2006, 02:35 AM) View Post

Had one more question regarding the X3 Control Panel's USB ports - do these allow you to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse (for use with LinksBox etc), or it is only for flash storage devices?

Cheers!

(Couldn't edit my own message? Hmmm.)

What I want to do is plug in a cordless keyboard and mouse. As the xbox will be mounted on a wall shelf quite high up in a games room, don't won't keyboard and mousey cords trailing across the room.

Can I plug these straight into the USB ports of the control panel?

#6 The Reepr

The Reepr

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:45 AM

wait...This doesn't sound right. You can use it as a dvd remote..which you said, but ...ah forget it. I lost it. uhh.gif

#7 scottchicken

scottchicken

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(The Reepr @ Apr 24 2006, 03:52 AM) View Post

wait...This doesn't sound right. You can use it as a dvd remote..which you said, but ...ah forget it. I lost it. uhh.gif

Sorry I should have started a new topic, my X3IR question was answered.

My new question was regarding the USB ports on the X3 Control Panel, whether or not I could plug in a USB wireless keyboard and mouse. For use with LinksBox and/or XDSL etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users