#1 Chipy

Chipy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 09:20 AM

hi, just wondered if anyone knew about a prob i have,
i get great upload speeds to my pc from my xbox but when i try to get a file of my f partition back to my pc it's dead slow.

my box is a 1.1 with xecuter pro, latest bios, latest evox dash and a seagate 60 gig h/d.

im transfering straight to my box with a realtek 10/100 card and a crossover cable.

any help is much appreciated.

#2 MissSplitch

MissSplitch

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:29 PM

Well, it all depends on exactly how much you're expecting.

Read from XBOX to PC will be fast, as the drive heads only have to read what's on the XBOX drive, and then your PC handles writing it to its own drives.

Writing to the XBOX drive will be decidedly slower, since not only does the box have less ram to handle such activities, but the drive is also an ATA33, so the write speed (inherently slower than the read speed) is going be slower than your computer (probably ata100/133)

Now if you're getting less than a meg a second write speed, I'd check if you have a firewall blocking you from the xbox directly. (Having only the ftp open at the time will yield slower reads/writes than just trusting the xbox's ip completely.)

-Splitch

#3 Chipy

Chipy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:11 AM

got no firewall but i have been doin some messin and found out if i change the network settings to 10 full duplex i get faster speeds than i do 100 full duplex.

thanks for the advice.

#4 grug

grug

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:24 AM

What program you using? For some reason SmartFTP (and ftp.exe) was really slow while FlashFXP was much, much quicker.

#5 MeryD

MeryD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:30 AM

For me too, smartftp is slower than other ftp prog blink.gif

#6 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 December 2003 - 03:58 PM

Well, I am having the same problem. I copied my game from my xbox dvd rom to the xbox hard drive, and when I tried to move the files and folders to my computer to finally back it up on a DVD-R and it's taking an eternity to do it. sleeping.gif

The FTP program I am using, is the one incorporated in the file administrator called Total Commander, wich is a lot better than a lot of FTPs progs I've seen there. Plus, this proggy it's similar to the old "Norton Commander" for DOS, same interface and all but with all the new features, you all should give it a try. biggrin.gif

I know there must be something that is makeing this copy proccess awfully slow, but I could not figure it out. I am running the FTPing trough my Linksys router and I never had a problem before. My chip is a Chameleon runing evox and my computer is running Windows 2000 Pro, with of course NTFS file system.

Any thoughts?... Suggestions?

I would trully apreciate it.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

#7 Trancemission

Trancemission

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:12 PM

hey lord,

I have just stumbled accross this post after starting a new thread [Tcp Setings/speed] over in software->Xbox bioses. I am trying to find the optimal speeds I _should_ be able to achieve transfering.

If you are connecting 2 devices [Xbox and PC] over a network the best way is over a {quality} Crossover cable. This removes any other hardware in between the 2. The only problem is [apart from getting a cable] is you have to mess abou with IP settings if you have broadband etc.... for your network card. Although in XP you dont need to reboot ohmy.gif [but best to me thinks] 2000 could be a hassle.

Anyways Linksys router...................is it a 100MB router? Simply you may find that sometimes it may be better to force your network devices like network card and router to the same Link Speed setting [ie 10/Half,10/Full,100/Half,100/Full or Auto] make sure the ones connected to each other are the same.

Hope I have helped a little wink.gif

#8 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

Ok, I fix the problem... at least mine. laugh.gif

After a few minutes of posting the msg avobe I remembered that I have been messing with my network card to make it do some things that i needed... that was like 3 weeks ago, and I forgot to set it back the way it was. I just have an awfully bad memory rolleyes.gif

So uninstalling the device (Without removing it) and reinstalling it slould set all it's config by default. That's what I did, and I am getting my 8.51 mbps transfer rate again... muhaha.gif

Good luck to you guys.. hope you can get that to work. beerchug.gif

#9 Lord Magnus

Lord Magnus

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Trancemission @ Dec 15 2003, 06:12 PM)
Simply you may find that sometimes it may be better to force your network devices like network card and router to the same Link Speed setting [ie 10/Half,10/Full,100/Half,100/Full or Auto] make sure the ones connected to each other are the same.

Hope I have helped a little wink.gif

Yes Sr. That was exactly what I have been messing with... I change it to Full, duplex and I completly forgot to change it back.

I thought about getting a crossover cable, but with the router I can get 8.51 mbps wich is pretty fair for me, and I save some money on the cable... wich would be a lot of it since I have my box downstairs and I even had to drill my bedroom floor in order to pass all the cables... so I'll keep it this way for now.

Hey, thanks a lot for the lightning fast answer, we need more people like you over here wink.gif

- Lord Magnus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users