Photo

What Leds To Use For The Ring Of Light (on The X360)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hey all, I was just wondering, as I want to start case modding my XBOX360... I was wondering what LEDs exactly have to be used for the ring of light on the front of the XBOX360, and what is the EASIEST way of installing them? Are they the same on the wireless controller?

also, how much is that lexan type plastic/glass stuff and how much does it generally cost. And how are Cathodes hooked up to the 360.

AND PAINTING. What is THE BEST WAY to paint the 360 case? I know Canadian Tire sells Automotive Paint (motomaster, etc) that I used to use on the regular XBOX Consoles when case modding those... Is it the same thing for this? (Primer, paint, clear coat)?

Thanks for ANY advice given.

#2 taikwondoejoe

taikwondoejoe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

http://www.icp4ever....60/Ringoflight/
Theres a ring of light tutorial

#3 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

as quoted "The ring of light SMD's are 1204 right angle, but the ones from jade swords works just fine if you turn them on their side like i did. The center one is a 0603. "

So I need 4x1204 Right Angle SMT Leds (I am gonna get Blue), and I need a SMT 0603 LED for the led thats blue as well? How does this work out with the controllers (wireless)

also, is it easy to damage the pcb and make it so the light never comes on again or is it pretty solid.

oh and thankyou for that link, it gave me a good look @ what is coming. those LEDs are DAMN small.

Edited by EnergySurge, 21 April 2006 - 05:20 PM.

#4 taikwondoejoe

taikwondoejoe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Yeah the controllers use the 0603 smt as well. As lon as you know what your doing and take your time you should have no problems at all

#5 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

Oh, and where can I buy these LEDs, can I get Lexan Glass (buy it) online? and what type of paint should be used. I am not sure what colour I want to paint this XBOX360 (core). If I want to case mod it and all and sell it I am sure that it will be hard to sell without a hard drive.

Edited by EnergySurge, 21 April 2006 - 05:25 PM.

#6 taikwondoejoe

taikwondoejoe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

http://www.ledtronic...m/ds/smd-smr10/
^Right angles
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/smd-0603/
^Surface mounts

#7 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:40 PM

I used to do a lot of painting/case modding with the original XBOX, ie, painting, LED Lighting, Cathode lighting. Never did a window, i did one once but the guy said he didn't need the plexi or lexan glass and i was like, sure whatever, so i just cut the window and smoothed it out and he was happy.. but i dont know how cuz with no plexi you're asking for a world of dust to get in there.

Do I really have to buy them in packages for $22.00 each?

#8 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

anywhere else i can buy those smt leds for cheaper?

#9 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

...hope someone can get an answer...

#10 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

any mod can close this thread, i got different questions now that I will post in a new topic.

#11 bosstitan187

bosstitan187

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

ive done smds and leds i think smds are easy but if your just starting try leds they work just as good

#12 EnergySurge

EnergySurge

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

nah i've done alot of leds on the regular xbox so im good with wiring / soldering (used to do a ton of mod chips for PS1/PS2/XBOX as well

#13 RedDragon

RedDragon

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:56 AM

They have some 0805 and 0603 Surface Mount LEDs
www.lsdiodes.com

#14 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:21 AM

In my Ring of light mods, I use all 0603 SMT LED's, turned on their side for the outside ring.

The stock bi-color LED's are common anode, which makes it difficult to replace with a similar bi-color because most (like the ones for the Xbox 1 for example) are common cathode.

So, instead I use two 0603 LED's on each corner, one for the normal color and one for the error color.

For the normal color, you jsut solder the LED to the common anode, and the cathode for the "green," which is right next to it.

However, things get more interesting for the error code. The anode and "red" cathode are not next to each other, the "green" cathode is between them, so you cannot just solder the LED in.

What I do is solder the LED to the cathode side (I used to do it to the anode side, but the other side works better), then run a short piece of wire to the anode pad to power the LED.

The center LED and the controllers are very straightforward, jsut replace the 0603 green LED with a replacement 0603 of any color, observing correct polarity of course.

Diagram on the ROL board:

IPB Image

An example of my ROL mod, in this one I soldered the error code LED to the common anode, but I've ,pre recently discovered it works a lot better to solder the LED to hte cathode then run the wire to the anode. Don't mind the flux on the board, I hadn't cleaned it off yet.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by G0t M4xx 21, 22 April 2006 - 05:28 AM.

#15 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:33 AM

Hmm.. i actually understand that. Actually.. anode and cathode.. those words confuse me.. i have no idea what they mean. lol

Question G0t M4xx 21.. when you solder these.. is your soldering iron mucho tiny? Like ub3rly crazy thin and pointy? Because i would love to do this, but my soldering iron seems pretty big for the job... If you do have a special one, can u tell me what model, where you got it, etc? And how thick was that wire you used? like 30?

Oh.. and would LEDs be easier?

Edited by sicknasty413, 22 April 2006 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users