wivenhoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

Had a few people asking for this and sucess stories with those who have tried it so here it is.

QUICK TUTORIAL FOR UPGRADING HARD-DRIVE AFTER ALREADY SOFTMODDING STOCK DRIVE.

1) Get xboxhdm and extract it to your PC.

2) Use ConfigMagic (or any alternative if you know how to do this) to extract your eeprom on your xbox. It is likely to be in E/Backup/EEPROMBackup.bin. FTP this to your pc, rename it to eeprom.bin, and put it into the /eeprom folder of xboxhdm.

3) FTP into your Xbox. If you can see the contents of your C drive then SKIP this step and go onto step 4. If not, go into your File Manager on your xbox, navigate to e:/ndts and run the default.xbe in there. This will load an altered version of unleashx with full access to C and E.

4) FTP your C and E drives onto your pc and put them in the respective folders in xboxhdm.

5) Run make-iso-win in xboxhdm and burn the iso with alcohol 120% or any other alternative image burning software.

6) Place the xboxhdm CD in your cd drive and then shutdown your PC. Disconnect your PC hard-drive. Connect your new hard-drive to the primary master of your PC and then boot up your computer.

7) When xboxhdm loads up choose option 1, then when it's loaded type 'xboxhd'. Choose option 1 again to prepare xbox hard-drive from scratch. Answer Yes to all the questions and when it is finished hit reboot.

8) Now xboxhdm will load up again. This time choose option 3, and then once this is loaded type 'lockhd -a'. This will find your eeprom.bin and lock the hard-drive*

9) Your new hard-drive is now ready to put into your xbox and will be an exact mirror of your existing xbox drive but obviously with a lot more free space.

* Sometimes people can have problems with this step as xboxhdm won't detect the eeprom.bin file. 2 workarounds are available for this:

1) If you have a floppy disk drive on your PC then copy the eeprom.bin to a floppy disk. Insert this in the drive and then within xboxhdm if 'lockhd -a' fails then select the option to find eeprom.bin from floppy.

2) If you do not have a floppy disk drive then from within xboxhdm do the following:

Instead of typing 'lockhd -a' type 'mount /dev/hdc /cdrom'

Next type: mv /cdrom/eeprom/EEPROM.bin /floppy/eeprom.bin

Now when you type lockhd, select the option 'choose another location', and then point it to:

/floppy

This should get you all up and running with your new hard-drive locked and the master password set to XBOXSCENE

#2 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

Ok thanks but how does this distinguish itself from the other hd upgrade tutorials? Also a little more explanation about accessing the real C could be needed as many people trip over this step. mentioning about clearing the cache afterwars could not hurt also.

#3 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

please dont advise newbs to use config magic, evox's backup feature will backup eeprom.

#4 Ndure protagonist

Ndure protagonist

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

wivenhoe; there's some info. specifically related to DaddyJ's advice and your "how to" here:

http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3373495

#5 wivenhoe

wivenhoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

Well this was already posted in the ndure for xboxhdm thread but somewhere in the middle and the question still keeps popping up so i thought it made sense to do a tutorial as a seperate thread.
If people think it needs changing, or is just pointless having then let me know, was just meant as a quick guide to potentially help.

(Is there a reason I can't edit the original post? So I can make changes to the tutorial).

Ta.

Edited by wivenhoe, 25 April 2006 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Leaf_Killer

Leaf_Killer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

nice tut beerchug.gif

#7 PlatinumSkater

PlatinumSkater

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

yes this is a nice tutorial and you couldnt have wrote it at a better time for me.... but now i get error 16... any solutions?

btw when people have problems locking the harddrive its USSUALLY the computer... compaqs especially...

Edited by PlatinumSkater, 25 April 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#8 italianiceag

italianiceag

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(PlatinumSkater @ Apr 25 2006, 07:05 PM) View Post
btw when people have problems locking the harddrive its USSUALLY the computer... compaqs especially...

UGH...

#9 wivenhoe

wivenhoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(PlatinumSkater @ Apr 25 2006, 07:05 PM) View Post

yes this is a nice tutorial and you couldnt have wrote it at a better time for me.... but now i get error 16... any solutions?

Error 16 means your clock isn't set right and the xbox can't get into the ms dash to set it. How is your xbox modded?
Quick solution is to put in your stock drive again, set the xbox date/time, then put the new hdd back in.

#10 PlatinumSkater

PlatinumSkater

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

no i tryed putting the original back, now i have seen error 7, and i believe error 13 with the 100 gb in there...

actually, i followed this tutorial to upgrade my hdd.... i had trouble locking it but eventually it worked.
now my problem is i get error 13... my dvd drives are shot but my brothers xbox has a valid one so im using that in my box for now. it still boots with a game in it, though, really not sure what to do... i was thinking of using a 007 exploit but the exploit currently on my hdd only has ftp access, it isnt a dash.

anyone have answers?

(also, i did manage to unlock it in my xbox (first switching the dvd drives) by running a game, then hotswapped that harddrive to my bros xbox (so my hdd and dvd drive were there) and i was able to ftp into it.... but that is as far as i have gotten.... im thinking of trying to upgrade my dash with a live game, or do that hotswap again but i dont know anyone with an original dash, its been so long.)

anyone?

Edited by PlatinumSkater, 26 April 2006 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users