• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:00 PM

----------------------------------------------------------
Warning and Disclaimer
----------------------------------------------------------
There have been reports from people who say that their LEDs no longer work after desoldering the originals. Please be very careful when desoldering the LEDs, as it seems the tracks and/or pads are quite easy to damage. Some people have suggested that you cut the legs of the original LEDs, instead of desoldering. You may want to try this as a safer alternative.

I take no responsibility for any damage that may be incurred by following this guide. Perform these mods at your own risk.

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK, a lot of people want to put different colored LEDs instead of the standard green, red, and orange around the eject button. There are a couple of guides in the Tutorials section showing you how to swap the green and red, but a lot of people want to use other colors. There have also been a couple of guides in the forums explaining how to replace the LEDs with a single color, but with that method you miss out on the error lights. I decided to put together this fairly simple guide to replacing the LEDs while still getting the error indicator lights. Hope you enjoy it!

Firstly, I'll explain a little about the LEDs that are in the standard Xbox. Many people think there must be 3 LEDs, or maybe a single tri-color LED. The truth is, there are 2 LEDs, and each one is a 3mm green/red bi-color LED. There is one of these LEDs on each side of the eject button. The orange light you see is actually produced by lighting green and red at the same time. Red and green mixed together gives you the orange color.

The easiest way to replace them, would be to simply find some bi-color LEDs of your choice. Unfortunately, bi-color LEDs are not that easy to find, even harder to find in 3mm, and even harder to find in the the color combination of your choice. So, I decided to replace each bi-color LED with 2 single-color LEDs. This way, you can easily choose any colors you want. So, here's how to do it...

Materials:
2x 3mm LEDs for primary color (replaces the standard green color)
--- I used Blue 1000 mcd 30mA 3.5v
2x 3mm LEDs for secondary color (replaces the standard red color)
--- I used Red 500 mcd 30mA 1.8v
Some solder

Tools:
Small flat screwdriver
Soldering Iron
Solder-sucker or de-solder braid

1) I won't describe how to open your Xbox, since there are a lot of other tutes for that. Once you have it open, remove the front panel by doing the following:
a ) Unplug the front panel cable assembly from the motherboard. It's the bunch of yellow wires in the picture.
b ) Using a small flat screwdriver (or something similar) gently pry one side of the front panel off. See the pic for positioning the screwdriver. While you're applying pressure with the screwdriver, the tabs indicated in the pic need to be lifted to unhook from the main Xbox case. Lift them 1 by 1, starting from the one closest to the side you are removing. It shouldn't take you long to get the whole front panel unclipped.
c ) Once the panel is loose, pull the cable assembly through the hole in the silver shielding, and voila! Your front panel is off.
user posted image

2) You now need to remove the PCB from the back of the Front Panel. To do this, simply push down on the clip shown in the pic below. Then simply lift the PCB away from the Front Panel. (EDIT: frenzal_dude recommended that pushing the eject button helps to get the PCB out.)
user posted image

3) You can now see the 2 LEDs on the PCB. You will need to remove these. You can use either a solder sucker, or some de-soldering braid. Use whichever method you prefer to remove them. * see warning at the top of this guide

4) Now you need to work out how you will attach your new LEDs. You will be replacing each bi-color LED with 2 LEDs right next to each other. You can see them in the pic below, and I have also indicated the layout in which the LEDs should be wired. For each side, there are 3 holes. The middle hole is the common (-) for both LEDs. On the left side, the top hole is the (+) for the primary color, and the bottom hole is the (+) for the secondary color. It's the opposite on the right side, as you can see by the colors of the (+) signs in the pic. In case you don't already know, when you buy an LED, the short leg is the negative. Now, the holes in the PCB are only big enough for 1 leg, so you won't be able to fit the (-) legs of 2 LEDs in the one hole. Instead, snip one of the (-) legs really short, and solder it to the (-) leg of the other LED. I recommend doing this after you have soldered the (+) legs in place. [EDIT] Actually, solder the (+) and (-) lef of 1 LED in place first, then put the (+) leg of the 2nd LED in its hole and solder it in place. Then solder the (-) leg of the 2nd LED to the (-) leg of the first.[/EDIT]
user posted image

[UPDATE] Some people have asked how to wire 2x 5mm LEDs instead of 4x 3mm LEDs. To do this, simply connect your 5mm LEDs in place of the Primary color LEDs (blue). In the pic above, use the Blue (+) holes and (-) holes, leaving the Red (+) holes empty.

5) With your LEDs in place, you now need to make a little bit of room for them in the Front Panel. You just need to snip away a few bits of plastic, as indicated in the pic below.
user posted image

[UPDATE] If you are installing 5mm LEDs, you will need to do more work to make room for your LEDs. You will need to dremel, cut or sand some plastic to get them to fit.

6) You can now re-assemble everything, and you'll have your funky new eject button colors! With the blue and red combination I used in this tute, the orange light is now purple. Looks quite nice smile.gif Here's a few pics, but the colors don't look quite as good as they do in person.
user posted image user posted image user posted image

You can also try having different colors on each side. Here's another one of my Xboxes, which has a half blue, half white eject button light. The colors swap sides depending on the error. I think it looks pretty cool smile.gif This pic really doesn't do justice to it, but anyway...
user posted image

EDIT I've decided to add the following image for reference. Thanks to TykSak and ModZone.dk for the following pic:
user posted image
Hope you all enjoyed the tute! Have fun!

Edited by dzv, 22 September 2003 - 12:47 PM.

#2 TykSak

TykSak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Modding Electronic equipment, websites and stuff ;)
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:05 PM

Nice tut user posted image

Heres a couple more color schemes wink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

#3 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:11 PM

Hey, your purple looks better than mine! smile.gif

#4 TykSak

TykSak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (dzv @ May 1 2003, 07:11 PM)
Hey, your purple looks better than mine! smile.gif

yes digital cameras have problems "recording" purple LEDs

#5 loveisweakness

loveisweakness

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:33 PM

good stuff
tho i would argue it'd be somewhat more convenient to buy the 3mm red/blue bilcolor leds

#6 TykSak

TykSak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (loveisweakness @ May 1 2003, 08:33 PM)
good stuff
tho i would argue it'd be somewhat more convenient to buy the 3mm red/blue bilcolor leds

True, but this is cheaper and will as you can see work with any other color combo aswell.

Try getting your hands on a blue/white or a purple/amber bicolor LED

#7 ravage73

ravage73

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:03 PM

pin this one!

#8 RinGz

RinGz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, girls, music, games, movies, electronics, parties, beer

Posted 01 May 2003 - 09:20 PM

okay, you NEED to submit this as a tutorial. it ROX....gonna go buy some LEDs right now... choices, choices....which colors....hmmmm

#9 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:52 AM

Glad you guys like the tute. I guess I'll see what I can do about getting it pinned and added to the Tutorials section.

Meanwhile, why don't you all post pics of all your funky new colors! smile.gif

#10 koldshot

koldshot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:19 AM

Good tutorial, but where can I find the right leds online, and what if I can only get 5mm, are they going to work with some effort?

#11 Fire

Fire

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />Internet<br />Cars<br />Computers<br />Gadgets<br />Electronics<br />TV<br />Satellite
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:57 AM

U GOD!!!

THIS HAS TO BE PUT IN TUTS SECTION.. MAKE SURE U EMAIL THEM A COPY OF IT (XBOX-SCENE PEOPLE)

#12 SupeRdUPErBlakE

SupeRdUPErBlakE

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, computing. Anything Geeky and I'm in. :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 May 2003 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Fire @ May 2 2003, 03:57 AM)
U GOD!!!

THIS HAS TO BE PUT IN TUTS SECTION.. MAKE SURE U EMAIL THEM A COPY OF IT (XBOX-SCENE PEOPLE)

Yes very good tut indeed. smile.gif

And Fire, don't post in all caps, it hurts my eyes, plus its annoying. biggrin.gif

Peace man.

#13 Hath

Hath

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:14 PM

i have green, red, blue, white and violet 5mm and 3 mm leds. Ill sell some give me an email @

THEHATHMAN@YAHOO.COM

#14 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (koldshot @ May 2 2003, 09:19 AM)
Good tutorial, but where can I find the right leds online, and what if I can only get 5mm, are they going to work with some effort?

I haven't tried using 5mm LEDs, but there's barely enough room for the 3mm LEDs. You'd have to do quite a lot of work to fit 2x 5mm LEDs in there. I'd suggest you try to find some 3mm LEDs. I think there are a couple of people on these forums (such as Hath) who are selling LEDs.

#15 koldshot

koldshot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:38 AM

I found 3mm bicolors here

http://www.coolerguy...y_Code=CS-LIGHT

but only after I ordered 5mm, thanks for help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users