X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 07:39 AM

I just finished installing my Pc-Bioxx and its working great

I flashed with evox 2.3 to be safe
booted up evolution X on cdr-w

on the installation what i did was i soldered wires wires 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 on the top of the mother board lpc and 2, 5, 8, on the bottom of the motherboard lpc o soldered the long wire #10 to the area on the left or bottom on the install picture Not the one with the moon shape .
and sodered # 9 to the usual place on the install picture

when i turned on the xbox it booted the ms dashboard then installed the lpt cable installed the flashbios program that came with the pcbioxx ,I had a newer version but it did not recognize it to I just used the one the came with the Pc-Bioxx. when i tried to flash it , it gave a error so i followed the instructions on the screen to erase the bios and reflash again so i did that . After that it flashed I now have evox 2.3 on it Yea!

here is the wire installation i used that was sent to me thanx to one of our members. just do it like this cause i know this worked for me good luck.
I know people are going to start asking for the pin outs and which wires go where so here we go:

This is for the lik-sang openbios chip

Color: Solder Point:
Brown 1
Red 2
Orange 3
Yellow NOT USED
Green NOT USED
Blue NOT USED
Purple 4
Grey 5
White 6
Black 7
Brown 8
Red NOT USED

Make sure you plug the cable in so the brown wire is on pin # 1 (facing the old solder points)

The Longer wire goes on #10 on the old solder points

The Shorter wire goes on #9 on the old solder points

Hope this helps.

any questions you can email me at u4996a@useoz.com

cheeers.

beerchug.gif

#2 trilogyyy

trilogyyy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 01:44 AM

just want to say i just loaded my first game to my IBM 40 gig HD
using xbcopy this chip has not failed once

Pc-Bioxx #1 jester.gif

#3 shinkansen

shinkansen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (trilogyyy @ Sep 10 2002, 06:39 AM)

on the installation what i did was i soldered wires wires 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 on the top of the mother board lpc and 2, 5, 8, on the bottom of the motherboard lpc o soldered the long wire #10 to the area on the left or bottom on the install picture Not the one with the moon shape .
and sodered # 9 to the usual place on the install picture

when i turned on the xbox it booted the ms dashboard then installed the lpt cable installed the flashbios program that came with the pcbioxx ,I had a newer version but it did not recognize it to I just used the one the came with the Pc-Bioxx. when i tried to flash it , it gave a error so i followed the instructions on the screen to erase the bios and reflash again so i did that . After that it flashed I now have evox 2.3 on it Yea!

here is the wire installation i used that was sent to me thanx to one of our members. just do it like this cause i know this worked for me good luck.
I know people are going to start asking for the pin outs and which wires go where so here we go:

Brown 1
Red 2
Orange 3
Yellow NOT USED
Green NOT USED
Blue NOT USED
Purple 4
Grey 5
White 6
Black 7
Brown 8
Red NOT USED

Make sure you plug the cable in so the brown wire is on pin # 1 (facing the old solder points)

Hope this helps.

cheeers.

beerchug.gif

I am glad that your PC-Bioxx works. But I think you have the pinouts backward.

If you look at the included ribbon connecter RED wire is made as number 1 pin. (atleast on mine red wire is pin 1) You can see the little triangle on the plastic female connector.

It's trivial and really doesn't matter when it works but thought I mention it.
Hope my installation tomorrow goes well as yours. biggrin.gif

#4 trilogyyy

trilogyyy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:11 AM

All I know that this is working for me .

Thats why im posting this installation tip for everyone.

cause when I had the E-ecuter it executed my xbox so i dont want anybody to go through that . In my opinion This is the most reliable way to install it, and get it working

Peace
love.gif

#5 kcobra

kcobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (shinkansen @ Sep 11 2002, 01:06 AM)
QUOTE (trilogyyy @ Sep 10 2002, 06:39 AM)

on the installation what i did was i soldered wires  wires 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 on the  top of the mother board lpc and  2, 5, 8, on the bottom of the motherboard lpc o soldered the long wire #10 to the area on the left or bottom on the install picture Not the one with the moon shape .
and sodered  # 9 to the usual place on the install picture

here is the wire installation i used that was sent to me thanx to one of our members. just do it like this  cause i know this worked for me good luck.

Color:  Solder Point:
Brown  1
Red  2
Orange  3
Yellow  NOT USED
Green NOT USED
Blue NOT USED
Purple  4
Grey  5
White  6
Black  7
Brown  8
Red NOT USED

Hope this helps.

cheeers.

beerchug.gif

I am glad that your PC-Bioxx works. But I think you have the pinouts backward.

If you look at the included ribbon connecter RED wire is made as number 1 pin. (atleast on mine red wire is pin 1) You can see the little triangle on the plastic female connector.

It's trivial and really doesn't matter when it works but thought I mention it.
Hope my installation tomorrow goes well as yours. biggrin.gif

While I have not verified the wiring diagram with the red wire as Pin 1, I believe it just depends on which way you plug the ribbon cable in. If the plug it in with the outside brown wire towards the solder points on the very bottom of the chip, his wiring instructions are correct.

#6 kcobra

kcobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 07:02 AM

I did a successful install of the Lik-Sang PC-Bioxx tonight. Here's my tips (I followed the english instructions included with the CD and posted on the website):

- I followed http://home.useoz.co...ik-sang mod.txt for the wiring. I verified it with a multimeter first.

- I soldered wire 9 to the point on the backside of the MB. I left wire 10 off and applied the jumper to the PC-Bioxx chip. I recommend using 30 AWG Wire-Wrap-Wire, instead of the included wire, for points 9 and 10. The included wire is way to big and is probably one of the reasons people are lifting solder pads on point 9. You can get Wire-Wrap-Wire at Rat Shack, Fry's, etc.

- I used a cheap 30 watt iron. Each point should take less than a second to solder. If you are having to hold the iron on the wire for more than a second, you are screwing it up.

- I used the included flash utility from the CD under a Win2k desktop system. Worked great.

- EvoX is up and running!

The main thing is to just take your time and make sure all your solder points are correct. The points are pretty small, so some prior soldering experience is probably necessary.

Any of y'all got an idea on how to run the extension cable outside the case? Since Lik-Sang already put the connector on, we cann't run it through a vent slot. If we put it between the case and the top cover, will the cable be damaged when we tighten down the cover or is it flexible enough to withstand this?

#7 kcobra

kcobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 07:07 AM

One thing I forgot. Don't put the Pc-Bioxx to close to the HD bracket. I taped mine in and then put the hardrive bracket back in. The PC-Bioxx almost blocked the bracket from going all the way down. It would have been hell to try and remove the PC-Bioxx chip from the sticky tape without damaging it.

#8 kcobra

kcobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 07:13 AM

Just noticed something else. Depending on how high you taped the PC-Bioxx on the back of the case, the metal lining on the inside of the xbox cover may touch the PC-Bioxx. Don't let it short the PC-Bioxx out.

#9 Strat

Strat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:19 AM

Good to see people are finding my little guide usefull.

As far as red or brown being #1 it doesn't matter. If your politically correc tthen i guess red should be 1 but doesn't make a difference. Follow this guide and you will be fine. I didn't even notice the little triangle on red. ( i was too anxious to installl)

Also put a piece of sticky tape over the back of the parallel port to make sure it doesn't short out on the xbox metal back bit.

cheers.

#10 jvanepps

jvanepps

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 12:33 PM

[QUOTE]Color: Solder Point:
Brown 1
Red 2
Orange 3
Yellow NOT USED
Green NOT USED
Blue NOT USED
Purple 4
Grey 5
White 6
Black 7
Brown 8
Red NOT USED

You say Red not Used, but Red you have listed as #2, does that mean we do not have to solder #2 to the MOBO?

#11 PLUTO 3.14

PLUTO 3.14

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 04:10 PM

wink.gif The red not use is another red wire at the end... There are two red wires... Depeding which wire u make #1 it will depend wich wires are not use... U can either make the Brown wire #1 and u will have another brown wire as #8 or u can make the red wire #1 and u will end up with with another red wire as #8 and another brown as not use.... It all depends which wire u make #1....

Brown as #1:

Brown 1
Red 2
Orange 3
Yellow NOT USED
Green NOT USED
Blue NOT USED
Purple 4
Grey 5
White 6
Black 7
Brown 8
Red NOT USED

Red as #1:

1 = Red #1 (the one at the edge)
2= Brown (the one right next to Red #1)
3= Black #1 (the one right next to Brown)
skip
skip
skip
4=Blue
5=Green
6=Yellow
7=Orange
8= Red #2
skip

I will just go to the PC-BioXX - Flat Ribbon Quick Installation Guide

They finally posted some instructions on their site... mad.gif To late for some but not to late for me and others..... rotfl.gif

#12 deathwish

deathwish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 07:49 PM

A little additional info which might be helpful. I installed my chip w/o any problems. I do recommend alternating between top and bottom of the board to make things easier, especially on pin 2, that one sucks. My only other advise is to clip some of the excess exposed wire off the end of each to avoid problems with it touching anything else, you need only a very small amount of exposed wire for contact, I tinned the ends, and clipped between 1/2 and 2/3 of the exposed end as provided.

As for the external cable, i unclipped one end of the cable and ran it through the top of the video port and carefully reclipped it using the holes that the original clipping had created, just be careful when pulling the side tabs on the cable header, I snapped one off, works fine though, I just used a little superglue to ensure it stays together.

Hope this helps a little.

#13 bubster

bubster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 12:41 AM

I found that clipping the exposed end of the wires to about half their length made everything easier, especially as they are multi-core wires and are more liable to split (and break) if they are too long.

I adopted a more cavalier approach to the LPC pads, melting the pads and then sinking the end of the wires into the pads. This left very little of the wires exposed above the board, reducing the chances of a short.

For pin 9, I connected it to the standard position on the underside of the MB and taped it in position before soldering, which reduced the likelihood of accidently lifting the track with the newly-connected wire.

Everything worked first time, and the machine was fine for a whole day, until this evening when I flashed a different BIOS on it (one of the EvoX 2.4 variants). When I did this, I got the green LED followed by flashing red LED error. After much buggering about, I decided that a wire had come undone because I took the box into work to show some friends. I completely removed the chip and still got the error and was now convinced that the machine was broken.

Not one to give in, I attached the chip again and flashed the original BIOS I had used (one of the Complex ones) and it started working again, with no problems since then.

I'm not sure what might have caused this, but it might be worth knowing for some people that have what appears to be a dead machine. I'm going to try the same EvoX BIOS and see if it works again. I have to say, I'm not convinced that this flashing business is completely reliable...

- Bubster

#14 trilogyyy

trilogyyy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 05:32 PM

right now evox 2.4 seems to be unstable cause its new, there are alot of modified versions out there right now, I recommend using 2.3 that one worked for me with no problems. I can almost be sure that Lik-sang tested
the Pc-Bioxx with evox 2.3 before shipping them out , thats my opinion
good luck ph34r.gif

#15 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 05:38 PM

Is anyone else having problems with EvoX 2.4?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users