nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

Updated 20-Aug-06

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: The games show up in the rom browser, but when I start one, the Xbox freezes.
A: You most likely edited the Path.ini rompath value and put a "\" at the end of it. Delete the ending backslash to solve this problem. Another reason this will happen is if you try to load a rom in 7z, jma, or rar format. The rom could also be corrupt. It can be verified with NSRT and goodsnes.

Q: When I make changes to the GUI, switch skins, and then switch back, all my settings are gone.
A: This is by design. The way to get around this is:
1) Load each skin (for example Metroid).
2) Make all the changes you need to make.
3) Exit ZsnexBox.
4) Copy the ZsnexBox.ini (called ZsnexBox25.ini, ZsnexBox26.ini, etc...) from E:\ZsnexBox\ini to the individual skin folder (for example, the D:\skins\Metroid folder).
5) Delete the skin's ini (for example D:\skins\Metroid\Metroid.ini).
6) Rename the ZsnexBox.ini to the skin's ini (for example, rename ZsnexBox28.ini to Metroid.ini).

Now, every time you switch skins, all your settings will be loaded.

Q: My game was working fine, but now it isn't.
A: It may be an issue with the emulation, your rom is corrupt (check it with goodsnes), or you are/were using cheat codes. Many games use cheat codes that modify SRAM (like Super Metroid). It is very possible to corrupt the SRAM and/or cause strange behavior in the game (even after the code is turned off). I recommend backing up your sram before using any cheat codes.

Q: Is it possible to use an Xbox lightgun to play Super Scope games?
A: No. However, they can be played with the Xbox controller. Lightgun support may appear in a later release.

Q: The file selection in the Rom Bowser would be better if the game selected was in the middle of the list.
A: I'll probably change this eventually.

Q: Are you going to add a favorites browser?
A: I'll probably add this eventually. An alternative is to put all your favorite ROMs into D:\roms and put the rest in a sub folder in D:\roms called "Other" or something similar.

Q: I can't figure out how to get Far East of Eden and other graphics pack games to start.
A: First, make sure you have copied all the graphics files to the correct folder in D:\graphics. Then, the easiest thing to do is rename your roms to match the names of the sram files in the D:\graphics\sram files folder. Then copy these to the ZsnexBox\sram folder on the E\F\G partition. No configuration is required.

Q: When I browse to the DVD drive, none of my roms show up.
A: You didn't make an XISO of the roms before burning the disc.

Q: When I start ZsnexBox, the skin doesn't load.
A: Delete the ZsnexBox.ini on the save partition and make sure all the skin files are present. Then restart the emulator.

Q: Some of the text is not aligned correctly or how I would prefer.
A: Nearly all the text can be adjusted in the "Text Options" menu.

Q: How do I get previews to work?
A: Put previews in the E:\ZsnexBox\prev folder. If you changed the partition letter in the Path.ini to F or G, then put the previews in the F:\ZsnexBox\prev or G:\ZsnexBox\prev folder.

Q: Where can I get previews?
A: http:\\xbox.nugnugnug.com

Q: My previews don't show up
A: They must match the game name exactly. SMW.zip must have a preview named SMW.png. They also must be in the prev folder created by ZsnexBox. If they still don't show up, try changing the partition ZsnexBox uses in the Path.ini. You may have a corrupt filesystem on the default partition.

Q: Where can I get ROMs?
A: No idea. All requests will be ignored.

Q: Is there going to be netplay support?
A: No

Q: Why isn't there going to be netplay support?
A: I hate Network programming

Q: Is there going to be SMB support?
A: No. There doesn't seem to be a real need for this. It would be a lot of work for something that isn't really needed (in my opinion). After all, the entire USA set will fit on one CD-R.

Q: How fast is ZsnexBox?
A: Blazingly fast! Auto frame skipping is set to on by default. This means that if the emulator can't keep up it will skip frames and the FPS display will drop below 60. You will be hard-pressed to find ANY games (other than SuperFX) that drop below 60 FPS for more than a second or two if that (even with most graphics filters turned on).

Q: Are you going to implement <insert feature here> in the next release?
A: Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe never.

Q: What version of ZSNES is this?
A: Currently the code is using the 2-28-05 WIP version.

Q: Why aren't you using the latest ZSNES code?
A: Because it is not stable enough. However, versions 1.0 - 1.2 use code from around 3-29-06. If you are having trouble with a game, you could try one of these versions since they have a newer ZSNES core.

Q: Are you ever going to update ZSNES to newer code?
A: Yes. This will be done through a multi-core architecture. The user will be able to select the core they wish to use on a per game basis. This will most likely be done last.

Q: When is the next release coming out?
A: When it's ready.

Q: Can I be a beta tester?
A: Thanks, but I will send out requests for beta testers if I need some in the future.

Q: Are you going to release the source?
A: Yes. I will release the source when I am finished with the project (worst case scenario) or maybe
earlier. The code needs a lot of cleanup, optimizations, etc... and it would be most beneficial to future developers if the code was released later rather than sooner.

Q: Are you going to merge your changes with the official ZSNES?
A: That will be up to the ZSNES developers. They will receive the source and they can do with it what they wish.

Q: <insert game here> crashes, has graphics problems, sound distortion, etc...
A: Does it occur in the 2-28-05 windows version? If it does, then there is nothing I can do about it. Otherwise, please post the issue on the xbox-scene board.

Q: Do my ROMs have to be zipped?
A: No.

Q: Does ZsnexBox support 7z or rar?
A: No and it will never support them.

Q: Can ZsnexBox be run off a DVD/CD?
A: Yes. An XISO must be made before burning.

Q: Can you change where the ROM path starts initially?
A: Yes. Change the Path.ini

Q: I found <insert problem here> with ZsnexBox?
A: Is it related to the emulation? If so, does it do the same thing on the 2-28-05 WIP version? If so, then there is nothing I can do about it. Otherwise, post the bug on the forum and I will look into it.

Q: Can I change the background music volume?
A: Yes. The right analog stick can be used to increase or decrease the volume.

Q: My savestate doesn't work anymore, but I know I have one because it was working fine.
A: There is a bug in ZSNES where it will incorrectly name the savestates. This usually happens with games that have a "." in the name. Like Final Fantasy III (1.0).zip. Sometimes ZSNES will name the savestate "Final Fantasy III (1.zst0).zst" or something similar. It puts the "zst" extension at the wrong place. Just rename the savestate to fix the problem. I am looking into a fix for this problem. If you are trying to use a savestate generated with an earlier version of ZsnexBox there may be a savestate compatibility issue.

Q: Does Starfox 2 work correctly?
A: Not currently. Starfox 2 will be supported in a later release. The ZSNES developers are making great strides in the emulation of this game.

Q: Are you going to continue updating ZsnexBox?
A: Yes. I am trying to make ZsnexBox as polished as possible. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to add every feature imaginable.

Q: I see there is surround sound. How does that work?
A: This is a 2 channel surround sound emulation provided by ZSNES. If the game that is being played has a surround sound feature, then disable the ZSNES option if the game option is used.

Q: What is the Low Pass Filter?
A: This is a feature that ZSNES provides that will add extra bass to the SNES audio. It is not native to the SNES.

Q: Some of my games work and some don't.
A: Your ROMs may be corrupt. Verify your ROMs with the free tool NSRT. This is the best tool there is to determine if an SNES ROM is good or bad.

Q: Can I donate any hardware or money?
A: Thank you, but I must decline. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about why I am doing this project. It's not for money or anything else. It's for myself as well as for all the SNES fans using emulators on the XBOX. If you really want to help, the best thing would be to help answer questions in the various ZsnexBox threads.

Q: What is the best sound frequency to use?
A: 32000. 44100 and 48000 do offer improvements but some audio will not sound SNES accurate if the frequency is increased.

Q: What are all these graphics filters? Which one should I use?
A: These are filters that will enhance the SNES graphics to make them look better than they did on the actual SNES. It is really a matter of preference. Try all of them to determine the one you like the best. Filters do take extra CPU power to use. Using them doesn't usually affect games running full speed, but this can happen at times. HQ2X is the most CPU intensive and very few games will run full speed with this filter. My opinion to get the best looking graphics is: Super Scale 2X + Flicker Filter of 0 + Soften turned off + Hardware Filtering set to Bilinear.

Q: Would you be interested in porting something else?
A: Maybe. After I'm done with ZsnexBox, I "might" look into porting other projects. That all depends on whether Xport (or anyone else) is working on the ones I am interested in, my interest is still there, and I have time.

Edited by Thraxen, 20 August 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#2 Hyllian

Hyllian

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Excelent! You're doing a very good work for the xbox emu community!

#3 dohopoki

dohopoki

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

It should be noted, for some reason, that some people (myself) have their DVD dongle plugged in all the time and never have controller problems.

#4 Consoleman!

Consoleman!

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

Simply stating "read the FAQ" is so much easier than having to explain the same thing over and over again.

Good idea.

#5 SlyBeast

SlyBeast

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

I have a question... Why port an unstable version of ZSNES when the stable 1.42 is available?

#6 nes6502

nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(SlyBeast @ May 2 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

I have a question... Why port an unstable version of ZSNES when the stable 1.42 is available?

For all the benefits the new code provides.

#7 SlyBeast

SlyBeast

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(nes6502 @ May 1 2006, 07:21 PM) View Post

For all the benefits the new code provides.

Such as? Of course there must be many and I'm not asking for every single one, but let's take for example, the number one benefit that made you want to port this version over 1.42; What would it be?

#8 nes6502

nes6502

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE(SlyBeast @ May 2 2006, 12:40 AM) View Post

Such as? Of course there must be many and I'm not asking for every single one, but let's take for example, the number one benefit that made you want to port this version over 1.42; What would it be?

Top Gear 3000

#9 SlyBeast

SlyBeast

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:54 AM

Ah yes, that one doesn't run on xSNES9x, you're right. Looking forward to the advancement of this emulator, and good luck to you.

#10 dohopoki

dohopoki

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Is there any kind of pin request in these forums? I think this needs more exposure.

#11 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(dohopoki @ May 4 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post

Is there any kind of pin request in these forums? I think this needs more exposure.

there are waaaay too many pinned topics allready, everybody keeps saying "pin this cause its cool!"
at this rate we need a special "pinned topics" subforum cause its starting to get crowded on the first page.

also why is Xmugen pinned? last time i checked mugen was not an emulator,
someone should look into this and move it over to the ported games forum. (its more a game then an emulator)
also saying it should be moved to another forum does not mean i have anything against xmugen, i just dont think it belongs in an emulator forum.

way too many pinned topics, most of the pinned topics should just be linked into 1 post and then pinned.

#12 dohopoki

dohopoki

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(VampX @ May 4 2006, 04:50 PM) View Post

way too many pinned topics, most of the pinned topics should just be linked into 1 post and then pinned.

That's fine too, I still think this needs more exposure.

#13 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(dohopoki @ May 4 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post

That's fine too, I still think this needs more exposure.

Oh yeah so do i, but its just too crowded now..

Thraxen should combine alot of the "special" threads into one link page and name it "pinned topics"
then he can pin a Zsnexbox topic so people can see it quicker.

then when Zsnexbox doesnt need the exposure anymore it can be unpinned or be replaced by something else.

#14 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:19 AM

I agree there are too many pinned threads.

Pinned threads should be about addressing the most frequently asked questions in Xbox emulation to avoid them being repeatedly asked in the main forum. They should not just be specific threads that alot of people have replied to as is the case with some of the unfortunate choices we have there at the moment.

Someone needs to start sorting it out properly.

#15 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• 5,149 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(Likklebaer @ May 5 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

Someone needs to start sorting it out properly.

Done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users