Photo

Whatís The Best Way To Fix This Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darkmaster_101

darkmaster_101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

First off I would like to apologise if this is in the wrong place, it looks like the best place to post this

My xbox has just given me an error 21, Iím not sure what caused this, so Iím going to list anything I think might have caused it.

Last night I updated my xbmc from XBMC-CVS_2005-12-11-T3CH to XBMC-CVS_2006-04-27-T3CH (which I acquired from the other usual places.) However I found that when streaming music from my pc using Relax server it would only play one song from the playlist and then it would crash. So I reinstalled the old build (XBMC-CVS_2005-12-11-T3CH)

It looked ok but, some files wouldnít delete (I think it was Arial.tff or something like that) It all appeared to work fine again. I then moved over an edited XboxMediaCenter.xml file from the XBMC-CVS_2005-12-11-T3CH build. Mainly to save putting in passwords when I am streaming music.

It all appeared to be working fine. However this morning when I tried to FTP some files over my pc couldnít connect to my xbox. I looked and the FTP name was set to ?-1?

So to try and fix this I used the relax server to move over a XboxMediaCenter.xml file from the XBMC-CVS_2005-12-11-T3CH build. Still the same problem. So I tried to use relax to move over all the files again. However when I deleted the old ďskinsĒ folder my xbox froze. I turned it on and got a message about how a skin was not found and that it would start a FTP sever. So I started to move the files back to my xbox via the now working FTP server, but whilst it was transferring my xbox timed out.

Now I get error 21 when I turn on my xbox, however I can still play games.

I have had error 21 before and fixed it by putting in Doom3 and allowing it to update the dashboard. However this may well be a different problem to last time as I donít think that its dashboard related. Since I can play games I can see two obvious options.

1) Put in doom3 when I get it back from my friend and try updating the dashboard then try modding again.

Or

2) Going the splintercell route and try reinstalling a soft mod (when I get it back of another friend)

I donít know which one is the best option, as I donít want to damage my xbox anymore than I have already.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try first?
Has anyone had this problem or a similar problem and fixed it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

sounds like your dashboard is gone or messed up. burn a boot disc and ftp a new dashboard to your dash location

#3 darkmaster_101

darkmaster_101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, and from krayzie no less.

However Iím not to comfortable with boot disks, if its almost definitely the dashboard then I should be able to use doom 3 and let that update the dashboard. Correct? Or will this mess up when I try to reinstall the soft mod?

Iím not all that good at this modding stuff. What is likely to happen when/if I manage to reinstall/update the dashboard and try to install the soft mod when there are already files in the ďE/DashboardĒ folder?

#4 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:29 AM

updating with a live game doesn't do any good. Your dash is probably on E:\dashboard\ so you need to fix that. You can optionally use the rescue disc out of my ndure package to make it easy

#5 darkmaster_101

darkmaster_101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

Ok I will try to burn a boot disk.

What will happen if I use splinter cell and try to soft mod my xbox whist itís in its current state?

And one last question. Why do I get an error 21 if itís to do with the soft mod?

#6 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(darkmaster_101 @ May 2 2006, 01:35 PM) View Post

Ok I will try to burn a boot disk.

What will happen if I use splinter cell and try to soft mod my xbox whist itís in its current state?

And one last question. Why do I get an error 21 if itís to do with the soft mod?

if you try to reexploit without uninstalling again you will probably make the problem much worse.
You got an error 21 because you messed up your dashboard like I told you before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users