afortaleza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hello there developers and readers in general, I've read the last update on the skin and I believe that there are many cool ideas coming up. I'm a web developer so I know how this is. My suggestion to you guys is that you set a feature freeze point, where you will only have bug tracking but no more features kicking in (unless of course there's functionality missing).

Maybe you already have that but I'd like to leave this suggestion, let's avoid the Duke Nuken effect smile.gif

-- Anderson

Edited by afortaleza, 02 May 2006 - 01:25 PM.

#2 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Yawn

#3 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

Double Yawn.

Nah but seriously. Our goal is not to get this out as quick as possible, its to make this skin as quick as possible. Obviously we arent snailing along, we want it finished too, but we are not going to sacrifice creativity and functionality just so people can put it on their xbox. You see you may want this skin so bad, but trust me, as soon as you start using it, it will be a matter of mins before you are finished saying "oh thats cool, this is good" and you are back to just using XBMC.

Technically there was a feature freeze, the new ideas I talk about are new ideas of animating, navigation and visual aspects, not new ideas of adding extra stuff. The skinning engine isnt complete 2.0 yet so we are still working with the guys at XBMC to add some small new things and make it that much better.

Edited by Blackbolt, 02 May 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#4 Crocmort

Crocmort

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Your arguments are good Blackbolt, but afortaleza has some good points too. As a software engineer, I know it's impossible to make a perfect software at first release... If the "core" of the project is not finished yet then it's 100% normal you don't release it yet... But there is no reason to release it feature complete at first release. There's a big community here ready to help and report bug and you could even attract new developpers who would be interested in adding new features to the project.

I personnaly think MC360 is the most innovative feature for XBMC since the integration of the DVD player. This could really change the way people see XBMC. My opinion is that by releasing the skin early you'll attract a lot of attention on the project and could attract even more developers...

Don't take this personnal, it's just an opinion smile.gif. I think we all want this project to be a sucess, so good luck and good work so far! smile.gif beerchug.gif

#5 Xboxer

Xboxer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

LOL the skin is not out yet? What happen to April 10? I guess you were to quick to put that guy down (see the original thread) when he said that this skin will be delayed for months. Anyway good luck team Im checking this forum every 2-3 weeks.I hope we get to play with this baby soon.

#6 modifiedbears

modifiedbears

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:47 AM

i'd check the xbox media center site for 2.0 before coming here.

#7 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(Blackbolt @ May 2 2006, 02:40 PM) View Post

Double Yawn.

Technically there was a feature freeze, the new ideas I talk about are new ideas of animating, navigation and visual aspects, not new ideas of adding extra stuff. The skinning engine isnt complete 2.0 yet so we are still working with the guys at XBMC to add some small new things and make it that much better.

I think he brings up a good point, though. What happens to projects like this is that they grow and grow until they contain all sorts of things that weren't in the original plan. That's called "scope creep." Then, when the deadline approaches (no, I'm not talking about April), the project is crunched and the work at the tail end is hasty. There does need to be a clear definition of what the objectives of this skin are, and what they are not.

That said, I also believe in listening to the voice of the customer in order to develop a great product. It's great that everyone has gotten involved with the development this early. You can fine-tune the skin to suit the needs of the users.

I think you all are doing a great job, and if you need anything from me just let me know.

#8 Kazaki

Kazaki

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:40 AM

"The DNF Effect"

Rolls off the tounge. I like it. Gonna use that in a few of my talks from now on.

It also must be noted that the suggestion of halting the addition of new features (which is completely different from finishing currently functional features) is done with the benefit of the project in mind. It should not be taken as the order to rush something out, but rather a suggestion of insurance from getting burnt out or just tailing out near the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users